Friday, December 2, 2011

Edge of Desire


Previously, On Concrete Shelves
  • Penelope found out that she was in remission.
  • Clifton became weary of Mac and Cassie’s relationship.
  • Both Damien and Patrick ran for Mayor of Stone Creek.
  • Taylor was revealed to be Mac’s older brother...
[.....]
Photobucket
[.....]
Scene One:
2634 W. Parker St., Stone Creek. Callahan Condo’s #8
Emily Roscoe’s Apartment.
Photobucket“How is your grandmother taking the news?”
Bentley Wilkinson looked up at his fiance as they ate lunch. He couldn’t help but smile at her, although he knew it had been a couple weeks since he actually had proposed to Emily, it still felt fresh in his mind. Then he proceeded to answer her question about his grandmother, Penelope.
“She’s doing better.” Emily smiled. “After you left my parents house on Thanksgiving she was teasing them about getting a place of her own. But I don’t think she will. My grandmother likes to be in everyone’s business. She says she likes to keep us on track.”
Emily smirked. “She didn’t seem to like it when everyone was getting in her business.” 
“My grandmother is a strange lady.” He arched an eyebrow. “Are you alright?”
There was something off about her today, he slipped his napkin down on the table and held her hand. It was soft and cold. Emily always had a terrible blood flow he had picked up from nights of being with her. She was always complaining of being cold.
“I’m fine.” She shrugged.
“Actually,” Emily started again, she pulled her hand away from Bentley. “We need to talk about our future. I mean getting married and everything. I know I’ve been avoiding the conversation about it and I want you to know the reason why.”
He didn’t really care why. All Bentley knew was that one day, hopefully soon, they would be married and she would make him the happiest man alive. “What are you saying?”
Emily gulped. “I want to marry you Bentley, I really do.”
“Then why does this sound like there’s a but coming along?” He asked. There was a hint of panic in his voice as he tasted the food he had scarfed down coming back up. The back of his tongue started to taste of his fears. “Emily, what’s going on?”
“I love you.”
Bentley grabbed her hand once more. “I love you too, that is why we are getting married.”
“I know.” 
“Then what has gotten into you?” He asked.
“The other day I went to see David at the hospital because I wasn’t too sure if I wanted to get married to you Bentley. It has nothing to do with you, I really do love you and David helped remind me of that.” Emily licked her lips, causing Bentley a great amount of concern.
He motioned for her to carry on. “You have this great, loving family and I don’t have anything.”
“You are a part of my family now Emily, you will always have us.”
Emily knew it was true, but there was still something eating at her. “I want to find my real parents. There is nothing I want more than to marry you Bentley. But there is still a part of me that wants to know who my parents are and to find out a part of me that I never knew.”
“So we’re still getting married?” Bentley asked. “Because you know that I will be there to support you when we do find your real parents Emily. You are my everything now.”
She replied with more enthusiasm, “Yes.”
[.....]
Scene Two:
2634 W. Parker St., Stone Creek. Callahan Condos #15
Marina, Cassie & Lucian’s Apartment.
PhotobucketMarina Thurlow sat on the ground with Lucian Lakhani between her legs while Ian Kiefer played fetch. It had been weeks since he had finally learned how to sit up, although, he had become used to having his mother or Marina around as support. Lucian giggled when he was able to toss the ball at Ian.
“Have you talked to your brother?” Cassie Lakhani asked, looking at Mac Kern who sat at the dinning room table. He turned to face Cassie who was in the small apartment kitchen. “After I left on Thanksgiving, did you sit down and ask him why he had been away?”
“We didn’t really have time.” Mac admitted.
He gulped and found it funny that a couple weeks ago he was opening up to Cassie about his older brother Taylor. Now Taylor was in Stone Creek and wanting to catch up with the years they had missed out on. “I honestly don’t know what to think.”
“At least you have a brother to talk to,” Marina carried Lucian into the dining room and placed him on the table, where Mac pulled him into a hug. “Ian still hasn’t been able to talk to Jared about anything.”
The realization that family members coming back into Ian’s life meant that Mac wasn’t alone. “Dude, I’m sorry. I didn’t even think about how you were dealing with the whole Jared Marlowe scandal. Have you even talked to him lately?”
Ian shrugged. “I haven’t.”
“It’s his loss.” Marina chimed in.
“Besides our situations are completely different. At least your brother is trying to make up for lost time, I don’t think I will ever actually hear anything from Jared. The way he is handling everything though, I don’t think it’s such a bad thing that we haven’t talked.”
Marina leaned against Ian.
“Just talk to him.” Cassie spoke, she started cutting up vegetables for their lunch. It was the first time they were all able to get together and have a nice lunch as a group. Now that they were all starting to fall into a normal routine, Cassie smiled.
Ian kissed Marina’s forehead. “What’s the worst that could happen?”
“At least you’ll get to spend more time with your brother.” Cassie acknowledged, taking a moment to think about her own family.
[.....]
Scene Three:
1507 Mango Ln., Stone Creek. “Hollyoak Manor”
Patrick & Charlene’s Home.
Charlene Sutton just stood there as her husband pushed her out of the way. She knew that he would be on edge today as the voting for Mayor of Stone Creek was taking place as they spoke, but she didn’t think that Patrick Sutton would just brush her off so quickly.
PhotobucketThen again, she didn’t know him. Not truly. There was always a side to Patrick that Charlene was blind to. “I spent Thanksgiving with Charlie and Kirsten, you know your granddaughter really wanted you there. Even if neither of you have actually bonded.”
“I had lunch with Charlie the other day Charlene.”
She pushed her way back in front of him. “But have you spent time with Megan yet?”
He scowled.
“That little girl is half Sutton you know? She needs to know both parts of her family and you keeping away from her isn’t helping at all Patrick. You always tell me how weak the Thurlow family is so I don’t understand why you don’t want to swoop her up and teach her how to be a Sutton.”
Patrick turned around to face his wife, causing her to scoot back a little. “I have too much to think about with this election Charlene. I can’t be worried about how to raise a little girl. Do you not know what today is? Have you even thought about anything other than your damned children?”
Charlene pouted.
“I’m sorry, I don’t mean to yell at you. But damn it Charlene!” He made his way towards the door. “If I don’t become Mayor of Stone Creek then you better kiss that seat on the city council goodbye.”
“Maybe I don’t want that seat anymore.” Charlene stubbornly replied, but she knew her husband would call her bluff soon so she gulped in anticipation.
He smirked. “Kevin is gone Charlene, you pushed that son-of-a-bitch out of town because you’d rather have power and now you don’t want it? That’s a laugh! I have important things to take care of, maybe you should just excuse yourself for a couple hours?”
Charlene made her way to the bar when Patrick’s phone rang, alerting him to a call from Ryan Bauer. “Just take the call, I’m sure it’s more important than your family.”
She began to open the bottles, one by one. Patrick gave her a look over before answering his phone.
“Mr. Sutton, It’s Ryan.” The man greeted on the other end. “I’ve been keeping track of the polls and I want to tell you as of right now, you have the lead. You’re so much closer to being the Mayor of Stone Creek.”
“That’s great.” Patrick smiled. “Damien Crenshaw will be a name of the past very soon.”
Photobucket
Scene Four:
980 Cutler St., Stone Creek. Faustino Cottages #12
Diem Joplin’s Home.
PhotobucketDiem Joplin put her hand to her mouth in surprise.
It had been a couple months since she had seen her daughter, Olivia. But whenever the young woman was around, Diem felt like her life had become less stressful. “When did you get in Leia? Why didn’t you call me ahead of time?” She asked, hugging her daughter.
Leia shrugged. “It’s just been a long couple of months.”
“Are you in any kind of trouble?” Diem asked, knowing her daughter couldn’t get into any trouble. “How have things been going with Richard and the marriage?”
Her daughter held up her right hand, a wedding band missing. “Divorced as of last week.”
“I don’t mean to be a bother mother. After everything that happened with Richard and the alcohol abuse I just needed to get away and the only place I could think of was coming home. I know it is short notice but is there any way that I could stay here for a couple of days?”
Diem looked at her daughter in shock.
Photobucket“It’s a terrible idea, I know.”
“No!” Diem screamed in excitement, she looked behind her daughter and found the suitcases. “It’s the best idea I have heard in a long time. Come in! I could use your company, anybody’s company actually.” 
She then took a deep breath and helped her daughter bring her things inside. “I could really use you here Leia. I’m terribly sorry that you had to deal with Richard’s alcoholism, I would take that pain for you if I ever could. But you being here-”
“There’s something else I need to tell you.” Leia gulped.
Diem furrowed her brow in confusion.
“Before I arrived in Stone Creek, I went to visit dad in Seattle.”
The last time anyone mentioned William Maverick had been months ago. Diem flashed back to when Patrick Sutton shoved her past with William in her face in hopes to throw Diem off his tracks on the Danielle case. Having Leia talk about visiting him crushed her.
[.....]
Scene Five:
Cuttlebone Lake.
Lakeside Inn. Main Hall.
Photobucket“Having the book signing in this hall will give you enough space to have refreshments in the back.” Aidan Jurado directed, he moved around the room showing Taylor Kern the dynamics. “We would have a podium at the front over there and have a couple rows of chairs.”
“I couldn’t imagine a better vision.” Taylor smirked.
Aidan tilted his head, there was something that was bothering him. It had been itching at him for a couple days now and he didn’t know how to say it. Looking at Taylor, he couldn’t help but realize the man was very confident in himself. Which was a turn-on, of course.
But Aidan didn’t know how to ask, “You could have the book signing in a bookstore and you wouldn’t have to pay anything for it. Why would you want to have it here?”
With the question in the open, Taylor took it in. “Honestly?”
“That’s why I asked.”
Aidan could feel Taylor’s gaze upon him once again and he had to keep thinking about being in bed with Amanda Tucker to keep him from losing his cool.
“Having it here would give people something to talk about. Do I have confidence that my book would sell on it’s own? Of course I do, the first book sold millions, so I know I can draw in a crowd. But why should I be like everyone else and have a book signing in a book store?”
“I’m just saying that it is convenient.” Aidan spoke, catching Taylor’s eye.
Taylor smirked. “Do you read books Mr. Jurado?”
“Not lately, no.” Aidan replied, he turned away from Taylor and continued with the tour. “I would split the room down the middle so we could have easy access for people to move around without them interrupting your speech. You don’t seem like you are one to be interrupted.”
“Now I feel like you’re painting me out to be arrogant.”
“I’m not painting you out to be anything.” Aidan spoke, he turned back to Taylor. “Listen, I don’t mind helping you out here with the book signing. It actually intrigues me a little bit, you’re an interesting man Mr. Kern. Not a lot like your younger brother though.”
“You know Mac?” Taylor asked.
Aidan nodded. “He is a friend of my cousin Marina. I don’t know him very well but from what I’ve seen he is a good kid. Like I said,” He sighed. “I don’t mind helping you out. This would actually help me build my portfolio as well, maybe get me more business.”
His client shook his head. “Cheers to us then.”
“Cheers.” Aidan mumbled, confused.
[.....]
Scene Six:
745 W. Lavender St., Stone Creek. “Old Granger Manor”
Damien & Gillian’s Home.
PhotobucketHanging up the phone, Gillian Sutton took a moment to think about her recent conversation with her brother Charlie. It had felt like months since she last talked to him, although she knew that wasn’t true. But to hear that Charlene had spent Thanksgiving with him and his family was refreshing.
She frowned, wondering why Charlene didn’t give her a call.
But walking into the study where she thought Damien would be caused her mind to jump. Gillian looked around, it was around the time that Damien would come to do some thinking and pay some of their bills. He usually did that in his study.
Maybe he had went into town?
Gillian sighed, making her way out of the room she spotted something on his desk. She knew she shouldn’t have peeked at her fiance’s personal business but Gillian couldn’t help it. Picking up the piece of paper she skimmed through its contents.
Her jaw dropped open. “What is he doing looking into my father’s company?”
There hadn’t been any talk between the two of them about buying stock in Sutton Enterprises. She then spotted more papers littered on the desk and one in particular caught her eye. “Oh my god, this changes everything!” Gillian gasped, looking around the study.
How could her fiance do this?
Picking up her cell phone, Gillian placed the papers back where she found them and then dialed the only number she could think of. It was time Gillian started playing with a full deck of cards, she knew the only way to make both her father and Damien listen to her was a slap in the face, figuratively speaking, of course.
[.....]
Scene Seven:
Shenanigan's Nightclub.
Clifton Briggs’ Office.
“What are you doing here?” Clifton Briggs demanded, he lifted himself up from his seat and watched as Damien Crenshaw stepped forward. “I told you that it would be best not to draw any attention to one another. Meeting away from here and in secret was best.”
PhotobucketDamien nodded. “I need to win this election.”
“We are working on it.” Clifton replied, hastily. “Do I have to remind you that I was the one that invested a lot of money into your campaign? I was the one that got you in the race in the first place and you better remember that Crenshaw.”
“If I win that election then you will get exactly what you deserve.” Damien replied, he looked around the office and smirked. “I can’t thank you enough for funding me Clifton, but you need to remember that if I don’t win this election then all of it was for nothing. I know you have connections around this city.”
Clifton perked.
“I need you to make sure I win this election and we will have everything we wanted.”
“We will win this election.” Clifton assured him, he looked down at his desk and then back to Damien. “I’ll make a couple calls and see what I could do for the final results. Things are going to go our way Crenshaw, just you wait and see.”
“That’s what I like to hear.”
Damien’s smug smile was enough for Clifton to rethink everything he was getting himself into. But he knew it was already too late to back out of Damien Crenshaw’s offer. He knew that once Damien was Mayor of Stone Creek he would help him when he needed it in the future.
“I can’t wait to see Patrick Sutton’s face when he hears the news. Damien Crenshaw will be the Mayor of Stone Creek and he can’t do anything to stop it.”
[.....]
Scene Eight:
980 Cutler St., Stone Creek. Faustino Cottages #12
Diem Joplin’s Home.
Photobucket“Are you sure you want to do this?” Bentley Wilkinson asked one last time.
The truth was, Emily Roscoe wasn’t sure at all. But she knew that asking for Diem Joplin’s help in searching for her parents was a step in the right direction. Especially if she wanted any sort of closure. She sighed, “We can’t really turn back now.”
“We could do whatever you wanted.”
She shook her head. “No, I want to do this.”
Taking a deep breath, Emily waited as her fiance rung the doorbell. Things seemed so much simpler now that she wasn’t all alone. Having Bentley in her life made Emily feel a bit more secure. Now she felt like she had some sort of family.
“Leia?” Bentley gasped, causing Emily alarm. “When did you get home?”
She watched as the two people hugged and laughed. “Just this morning, honestly. I didn’t think anyone would be stopping by, my mother clearly didn’t tell me anything. It’s good to see you Bentley.” She turned to Emily. “I don’t think I’ve met you before.”
“This is my fiance, Emily Roscoe.” Bentley introduced her, excitedly. “Emily, this is one of my childhood friend’s, Olivia Joplin.”
He paused and scanned her hand. “Wait, do we call you Leia Barsky now?”
Leia blushed. “It’s a long story, but legally, yes.”
“What were the two of you stopping by for?” Leia asked, inviting them inside.
Bentley looked at Emily and then back at his old friend. “We wanted to talk to your mother actually, it’s a personal matter I hope you don’t mind if we talk to her alone?”
“Not at all.” Leia replied, “I’ll be in the kitchen fixing up some snacks if you need me. My mother is wandering around here somewhere I’m sure.”
“Mother!” Leia called, she turned back to the couple. “It’s really nice to see you again Bentley and it was nice to meet you Emily. I hope everything works out, whatever it is.”
“Thank you.” they both reply as Diem Joplin entered the room. “Diem, I’m sorry to come by on such short notice, but I was wondering if you could help me find my birth parents.”
She looked at Emily in confusion, she had no idea that Emily was adopted. Then looking at Bentley’s face and knowing that they were sincere she agreed. Diem had spent so much time with Gideon Wilkinson growing up that she knew she had to help.
“What can we start on?” Diem asked, leading them to her office.
Emily pulled out a bracelet. “I found this in a box of my things, I don’t know what it means but I did grow up in Washington, DC.” The thin bracelet was long enough to fit around a baby’s wrist and it held two charms that shimmered in the light. There was a ‘D’ and a ‘C’ in which Emily figured meant DC.
“That gives us a place to look.” Diem added, with encouragement. “I will try my hardest to figure it all out. But in the meantime, go home and try to remember any sort of information that you can so that we have more leads to follow if we hit any dead ends.”
“Thank you.” Emily replied, tears in her eyes.
[.....]
Scene Nine:
2634 W. Parker St., Stone Creek. Callahan Condo’s #29
Taylor & Dizzy’s Condo.
Photobucket“Do you remember when we used to go to your friend Sam’s house and you would make me sit outside the clubhouse?” Mac Kern spoke, he looked at his older brother with a smirk. “But you’d tell me not to tell mom.”
Taylor laughed at the thought.
It had been so long since either of them had talked and sometimes the simplest memories were the ones that kept him going. “You never told her either. I almost had forgotten about Sam’s clubhouse! It has been so long since I talked to him, he married Stacy Summers.”
“I thought you guys didn’t like her!”  Taylor shrugged.
The conversation fell and awkward silence resumed. Taylor gulped. “I didn’t mean to leave you alone like I did.”
“That’s alright, I would play with the insects in the grass. Sometimes I would create little cities while you guys played in the clubhouse.” Mac snickered. “I didn’t pay much attention.”
“No,” Taylor shook his head. “I mean, It was never my intention to leave you alone with mom for so long. After college I just couldn’t find it in myself to go back home. As selfish as that sounds. There didn’t seem like anything to go back home to.”
Mac frowned. “I know you’re gay Taylor.”
“That’s not the reason why I stood away!” Taylor quipped. “Are you alright with that? With me being gay?”
He shrugged. “You’re still my older brother. I mean, I will admit that I don’t have any knowledge about it but that doesn’t change the way I look at you. Even with mom around you were the one who always took care of me so I owe you a lot.”
Taylor smiled at his brother, he looked back around the living room and then back at his brother. “How are things with that girl you were with on Thanksgiving? Her name was Cassie right? She seems like a really nice girl.”
“Cassie is pretty amazing.” Mac’s face reddening at the mention. “They’re just a little complicated.”
“Nothing is too complicated, you’re talking to me here.” Taylor replied. “If you really like her then maybe you should bring it up? You don’t want to regret not making her your girlfriend. Trust me, I’ve been in a lot of relationships since I’ve last seen you. Don’t ever regret anything.”
Mac agreed. “I’m really happy that you’re back.”
[.....]
Scene Ten:
2634 W. Parker St., Stone Creek. Callahan Condos #15
Marina, Cassie & Lucian’s Condo.
Photobucket“Clifton, hey.” Cassie spoke, letting Clifton Briggs into the condo she shared with Marina. After everyone had left, it was Cassie who decided to stay home and clean up the house. Although Marina had asked Cassie if she wanted to go and vote at The Lakeside Inn, she declined.
Clifton looked around, then caught Cassie’s gaze. “I was hoping that I would catch you here, is Marina or Lucian around?”
She moved her eyes to playpen where Lucian was asleep. “Marina and Ian went out to go vote for the new Mayor. Have you made it to the poll booths to vote?”
“I really have no reason to do so.” Clifton admitted, he noticed that there was tension between the two of them. This was also something that Cassie caught onto. “Have you voted?”
“No.” Cassie replied. “What’s going on Clifton? You usually call before you come.”
“Right.” He folded his arms. “I actually wanted to talk to you about Mac Kern. After what happened during Halloween I would hope you understand my concern about him. I know I told you before that I don’t mind you dating other guys but I think this changes things.”
The brunette couldn’t believe what she was hearing, slowly she stepped closer. “Changes what Clifton?”
Photobucket“I think we should get married.” Cassie’s jaw dropped. “I know that it isn’t the easiest question but I don’t trust that man and I’ve been thinking that we should give this a second go. Things the first time didn’t go according to plan and I regret that.”
“No!” Cassie shook her head. “You can’t just spring this upon me Clifton and expect me to jump on ship. I’m sorry but things didn’t work out last time because we realized that we never had feelings for each other. I appreciate everything you’ve done for me Clifton, but I can’t marry you.”
“It’s not as much a request as it is a requirement.”
She frowned.
“Cassie, if you don’t marry me then I am going to fight for custody of Lucian.” Clifton approached her, but she stepped back. She then eye’d her sleeping child in the playpen. “I can’t let you continue to take Lucian around Mac. When you are with him, you don’t think rationally.”
“I made one mistake!” Cassie bit. “That doesn’t warrant your threats.”
“Cassie, if you don’t marry me then I will fight you for custody of our son and don’t think I wont win.” Clifton’s eyes were like daggers into her skull. She could feel his threat dig into her skin, goosebumps forming. “I don’t want things to be this way, but-”
“But nothing Clifton!” Cassie cried. “I don’t even know how you can ask that of me.”
Clifton looked at Lucian. “I’m not asking.”
“Get out!” Cassie cried, she pointed to the door. “Please, just leave.”
[.....]
Scene Eleven:
745 W. Lavender St., Stone Creek. “Old Granger Manor”
Damien & Gillian’s Home.
Gillian Sutton popped open a bottle of champagne and tried to shield herself from the foam as it spurt into the air. She felt her husband take the bottle from behind her and start to clean up the mess as she sat down, chuckling at the sight before her. 
“I leave you alone for a couple of hours.” Damien scolded, teasingly.
She shook her head. “Don’t even start! I was trying to throw you a surprise celebration but a lot like Thanksgiving, we seem to have no guests tonight. I helped Lourdes make dinner, I hope you don’t mind chicken soup and some Hersey kisses.”
“I take it Lourdes didn’t make dinner?”
Gillian stuck her tongue out at her fiance. “I sent her home early, but before I did that I had her dial the nearest pizza place and grab us two large pizza’s.”
“Two?” Damien asked.
She nodded. “It is your victory celebratory dinner, after all!”
“It’s not a victory yet.” Damien reminded her, he watched as Gillian went into the kitchen to grab the pizza’s and then looked down at his phone. Gillian came out seconds later and scolded him for using his phone at the table, just as it started to ring. “Hold on a second, Gil.”
“That makes me sound like a fish.” Gillian mumbled, she placed the pizza’s down and watched as he made his way out of the dinning room.
How Damien could keep such a secret from her troubled Gillian, taking her phone out of her pocket she scanned it for any sign of hope. As much as she loved Damien, there was something about him lately that un-eased her. She still didn’t know what it all meant or why Damien was tracking stock in her father’s company, not entirely.
Gillian shoved her phone back in her pocket when Damien emerged from the hall. The two of them locked eyes, Gillian’s full of panic. “Marry me at the beginning of the year.”
“What?”
Damien chuckled. “I just received the best news imaginable and I want you to share it with me. Marry me at the beginning of the year and become my bride?”
She shook her head, stunned. “Of course!”
[.....]
Next Time, On Concrete Shelves
  • Charlene get’s caught in someone else’s wrath.
  • Miles gives Greta something to think about.
  • Ryan causes Marina to think about their past.
  • A face from the past brings new worries to Stone Creek...