Thursday, December 29, 2011

Something To Sleep To

Previously, On Concrete Shelves
  • Taylor asked Aidan to host his book signing at the Lakeside Inn.
  • Greta and Miles moved back in together.
  • Frank caught a glimpse of Lucy at the Airport.
  • Charlene collapsed on Christmas Eve...
[.....]
Photobucket
[.....]
Scene One:
Stone Creek; Now Town.
Sutton Enterprises; Patrick’s Office.
Photobucket
The doors slammed open and Charlie Sutton appeared in the doorway, fuming.
Patrick Sutton could see his newest secretary flailing behind his son, he must have taken her by surprise. He had definitely taken Patrick by surprise and some how, Patrick was proud of Charlie’s forced entrance into his office. Obviously the boy did have the balls.
“Do you even care?” Charlie spat.
He looked up, sliding off his reading glasses Patrick Sutton glared at his son. “What did I do this time Charlie? Honestly! Who do I owe a ‘thank you’ for bringing you to my office?”
“How about the woman laying in a hospital bed right now?” 
Patrick sighed, he knew it was terrible that Charlene ended up in the hospital. Truthfully, he was scared that they might have lost her. But at the same time, he couldn’t put off work right now. Things were getting hectic and he needed to find a way to bring down Damien Crenshaw.
“Or do you not care?”
“I do care!” Charlie’s presence was beginning to annoy Patrick. He sat up in his chair and took a moment to think about it. “Look I’m sorry about what happened with your mother, but Charlie you have to understand that it’s not my fault that she drank herself into the hospital.”
“But what if it is?”
Patrick scoffed. “What are you even suggesting?”
He watched as his son approach his desk, the anger moving around in his mind as his thoughts began to conclude. “Look, father I understand that you never loved my mother the way you loved Kirsten’s aunt, Shannon Jurado. But you could at least show the woman you married some respect.”
“Did you even see signs of her drinking?” Charlie asked, he shook his head. “You lived with her all this time and didn’t even notice my mother taking an extra swig of vodka?”
Patrick thought back to the day when he destroyed their bar. Charlene Sutton was known for taking an extra swig of vodka. But she was,  after all, a Nelson and that family was plagued with disease. He eye’d his son. “Are you suggesting that it’s my fault that she had a drinking problem.”
“Has.” Charlie corrected. “She still has one.”
“Oh knock it off Charlie! You barge in here and try to play the blame game with me? Have you even asked yourself the same questions that you’re asking me?! Your mother has obviously had a drinking problem for quite sometime so how about we face the music!”
Patrick got from his seat. “Did you notice how her eyes perked when alcohol was around? Or how Charlene followed every tear and gripe with a glass of Chardonnay? No. Neither did I! Because your mother has always been a victim of her own pessimism.”
Charlie turned on his heel. “What? Was that not what you wanted to hear?”
“You’re a horrible person.”
Patrick chuckled at the insult. “Come back when you have something else to blame on me!”
[.....]
Scene Two:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens.
Gladys’ Bistro.
Photobucket“I can’t even believe that my little brother is getting married.” Greta Wilkinson spoke. She let the waitress take her order and everyone else’s before she continued talking. A smile crept on her face when Miles Fowler kissed her forehead. “It seems like only yesterday we were little kids!”
Bentley chuckled. “I know exactly what you mean.”
“Now we’re all grown up, starting our own business’ and getting married.” Greta looked over at Emily Roscoe and smiled. “I am very proud to call you my future sister-in-law. Especially since you can handle my brother so well!”
“Hey!” 
The group chuckled. Greta leaned over and kissed Miles Fowler on the lips. “How has the wedding preparation been coming along? I know I haven’t really been around to help you out with anything Emily. I’m being such a horrible bridesmaid and I’m sorry for that!”
“No, don’t apologize. You have so much on your plate already.” 
“How’s the business coming along, anyways?” Bentley asked.
“It’s going great!” Miles answered, causing Greta to blush. “The two of you should really stop by the office soon. I do whenever I get the chance to. She’s done a great job at working with what she has and I couldn’t be any more proud of her.”
Greta smirked. “Miles’ right, I mean, there are still a few kinks I need to straighten out. But now that I have a few clients loyal enough to jump ship with me it’s been pretty easy. Right now I’m just helping a few complex owners find residents for their homes.”
“Look at you, all grown up!” Bentley mimicked his sister. “Soon the two of you will be ready to get married! Too bad you couldn’t jump on the wagon and have a double wedding with us!”
PhotobucketEmily’s eyes lit up. “You know how much fun that would be! Having the two of us as brides and walking down the isle to these two dashing men!” Emily rubbed Bentley’s shoulder. “It would help a lot on the budget, that much is for sure. But Bentley is only joking, no need to rush you two.”
“I’m sure when we are ready, we will.” Miles replied. “Right now, we are taking things slow. After the last couple of months I’m just glad that we finally moved in together... again, right Greta?”
Greta looked up at the trio who were all looking at her. She tried to agree with Miles as she knew that they were trying to take everything slow. But at the same time, Greta couldn’t help but agree with Bentley and Emily about the wedding. She smiled. “Why not?”
“Why not what?” Miles asked, confused.
She looked from face-to-face. “Why don’t we get married? I mean I know that’s not exactly the best way to spring it on you Miles. But after everything that we’ve been through and all the pain my family has gone through. A double wedding could be the one thing that this family needs.”
“Are you serious?” Bentley spat.
Greta nodded, turning to face Miles and kissing him. “Lets do this!”
[.....]
Scene Three:
505 Auburn Rd., Stone Creek. “Thurlow Cottage”
James, Caitlyn & Aidan’s Cottage.
PhotobucketMarina Thurlow sat on the carpet with a barbie doll in one hand and her other hand rubbing her niece’s back trying to get the little girl to relax and take her mind off of what she saw on Christmas. It had been such a rough year for Megan Sutton that the family banded together to comfort her.
Her mother however, stood in the doorway.
Kirsten hadn’t let Megan out of her sight for hours. She folded her arms and sighed heavily. Thankful that her family was around to help take care of her daughter. But knowing at the same time that seeing Charlene collapsed on the floor on Christmas was traumatizing.
The blonde had focused so much attention on her daughter that she didn’t notice Caitlyn Thurlow come up behind her. The older woman leaned against the doorway and eye’d Kirsten. “How is she doing?” The question was so broad that Kirsten had to think about it.
“She hasn’t talked to anyone since Christmas.” The admission was enough to frighten Kirsten as she heard it with her own ears. She looked at her step-mother. “She’s traumatized Caitlyn and I don’t really know what to do about it. This isn’t like the park incident.”
It pained Caitlyn. “Again, Kirsten, I’m really sorry about it.”
But Kirsten shook it off. “That wasn’t your fault and I was wrong to accuse you. I’m just glad that Megan is alright and I am even more thrilled to know that Charlene is in the hospital recovering from the alcohol poisoning. We almost lost her Caitlyn, just think about what that would have done to Megan.”
“Just count our blessings.” Caitlyn’s hand found its way to Kirsten’s shoulder in a comforting gesture.
But the younger woman didn’t feel like being comforted. Instead she watched as her younger sister, Marina, tried to distract Megan. The whole family had been through, trying to break the youngest Thurlow from her quiet state. Kirsten had only hoped that it was enough.
“How about some hot cocoa?” Kirsten asked. “Or even coffee.”
Caitlyn nodded. “I’ll go see what we have.”
Photobucket
Scene Four:
Stone Creek; Cuttlebone Lake.
The Lakeside Inn.
Photobucket“What are you doing, hiring hookers?” Daphne Wilkinson asked as she stepped into the Hall where the New Years Eve Ball would be held in a couple of days. She looked on in astonishment as men and women suited up in spandex hung from the ceiling. Twirling around and holding onto ropes of what looked like velvet.
Penelope looked at her Daughter-In-Law. “They’re dancers.”
“They’re not leaving anything to the imagination.” 
Giving Penelope a hug, she let the older woman show her around the Hall. It seemed that Charlie and Aidan had given Penelope and Caitlyn free reigns of the biggest Hall in the whole Inn. Rows of tables littered the edges of the room with the middle being left for a dancer floor and what Daphne could only make out as a human next just in case one of the ‘dancers’ fell.
“Javier is my favorite.” Penelope snickered, she pointed out a toned Latin man out as he held onto his share of rope and a petite blonde. “He has a nice ass and that basket of his...” She trailed off, Daphne gasped and nudged Penelope scoldingly.
“How did you get the funding for all of this?”
It was indeed much, the center pieces looked to be made of crystal. Carved into the shapes of two turtle doves curled up together. Each table had an array of golds, reds and whites. A backdrop of a winter wonderland placed at the far end of the Hall and the lights that wrapped around the pillars created a majestic look.
“With that prude Jared Marlowe out of office, it was sort of easy to convince the rest of the heckling hens that we needed to spend money on the event.” Penelope admitted, a truth that Daphne was afraid to follow-up on. She watched as Penelope barked orders around.
She had only been in remission for a couple of weeks, but already Penelope was falling victim to the stress of her life. Daphne took notice of this and followed the woman closely. “When is the last time you had something to eat?” It sounded more like an accusation than a simple question.
Penelope spun around. “I’ve been preoccupied.”
“How about you let me take you to lunch?”
“Stop trying to baby me Daphne.”
The tension began to pulse through the room as Daphne sighed. She threw her arms up in the air and shook her head. “I’m only looking out for you, honestly! How long has it been since your last check-up? I just don’t want to exhaust yourself Penelope, that is all.”
“I just received a new lease on life.”
“All the more reason to celebrate!”
Daphne sighed. She watched as Penelope stormed away from her and towards what could only be assumed was one of her caterers. Daphne knew that her Mother-In-Law was stubborn woman, but she also knew that she was no Clark Kent.
Which worried her even more.
[.....]
Scene Five:
1509 Mango Ln., Stone Creek. “Briggs Home”
Clifton Briggs Home.
PhotobucketCassie Lakhani knocked on the door, holding her infant son in her other hand and a diaper bag over her shoulder. She seemed to have nailed the mommy routine down as opposed to the model routine that she once held onto so tightly, now seemed like a fairytale she once lived.
What didn’t seem like a fairytale was the fact that Clifton Briggs had pretty much blackmailed Cassie into marrying him by troubling her with custody battles. All she had to do was end her relationship with Mac Kern, which she had finally done.
For Lucian’s sake.
“Cassie.” Clifton Briggs greeted, letting her into the house and taking Lucian in his hands. The baby cooed and gurgled as Clifton kissed his cheek and led them to the Living Room. “I’m glad that you were able to come by. I’m still shaken by the fact that you wont let me buy you a car-”
“You understand that I want to do things my own way.” She replied.
Clifton turned to her. “Very admirable.”
In his eyes she could see the kind man that he once was and it hurt her that he had changed somehow. Cassie knew that it couldn’t have been just the incident in October that made him switch gears. But she didn’t know if she even wanted to ask.
“How was your Christmas?”
The words slithered over her body. Creating bumps that she had never felt before and made her want to grab her child and run. But instead she stuffed her emotions down and smiled. “It was really great. Spending it with the Thurlow’s was the best idea I could have done.”
They stood there in front of each other. Cassie quickly realizing that she had been insensitive to his feelings. She tried to sympathize with him but she found it hard to do that these days as he was the reason she pushed Mac away. “I can’t marry you.”
He sighed. “But you already know that. When I first got pregnant I didn’t even think I wanted to keep Lucian but you told me that you would help me with him. Clifton I want you to understand that our relationship needs to stay focused on his needs first.”
“I understand.”
“Do you?” She perked up.
Clifton sighed, looking down at their child. “I don’t want to take him away from you Cassie. But I don’t feel safe with Lucian being around Mac. I don’t like that you focus all of your attention on the man and none on our son.”
“That’s not true.” Cassie bit back, she took a deep breath. “Besides you don’t have to worry about Mac anymore. What we had between us is over now, I broke things off with him a couple days ago. Clifton I don’t want things to change and I don’t want to take you out of Lucian’s life.”
“You broke up with him?”
She nodded, closing her eyes in sorrow.
[.....]
Scene Seven:
2634 W. Parker St., Stone Creek. Callahan Condo’s #12
Miles & Greta’s Condo.
Miles Fowler watched as Greta Wilkinson pulled her long coat off and placed it in the hall closet, she then proceeded to make her way into their bathroom for that shower she was talking about earlier. “Hold on, hold on.” Miles spoke, grabbing her hand.
Photobucket“What?”
He sighed. “Are you serious about having a double wedding?”
Greta chuckled. “Yes! I am really serious about it Miles. After everything that we have been through I can’t think of a better way to celebrate our lives along with the rest of my families.”
“I just-” He stopped, liking his lips and trying to make sense of everything. “What changed your mind Greta? Because not that long ago you weren’t even sure if we should move back in together and now you want to get married to me? Do you understand how I’m confused?”
Greta stepped next to Miles, a hand caressing his cheek she kissed him. “I understand, I really do. But I was just thinking about us and how far we’ve come. I know I haven’t been the easiest person to be around but everything seems perfect for us right now.”
“It is.” Miles smiled, letting his excitement get the best of him.
“I want to marry you Miles Fowler.” Greta stepped away, she began to tug at her shirt seductively. “I want us to spend the rest of our lives together.”
He nodded his head, grabbing her by the waist. “Okay, but first you need to call that brother of yours and tell him not to tell anyone about us wanting to get married. I want to do this right! I want to propose to you Greta.” 
“Okay.”
Miles kissed his fiance. “Okay.”
[.....]
Scene Eight:
Stone Creek; Cuttlebone Lake.
The Lakeside Inn.
PhotobucketAidan Jurado perked up when Charlie Sutton walked into the Inn. “I’ve actually been waiting for you. I need to talk to you about Taylor Kern and the book signing he wants me to help with.”
Charlie looked up. “Aidan, I left you in charge of that because I know you can do it. Besides I’m not here to talk about business right now, I just have to grab something from my office that I left behind and then I’m off to the hospital again.”
“How’s your mother doing?”
“She’s fine, no thanks to my father.” Charlie scoffed, locking eyes with Aidan he remembered Paris and how Aidan had to deal with not only his mother’s death but his father firing him from his job. Charlie sighs. “What did you want to talk to me about this book signing?”
Anything that had to do with Taylor Kern made Aidan sweat. He thought back to his time with Amanda Tucker and how he hadn’t seen her in awhile since she went back home for the Holiday’s. Now Aidan wished he was in her bed, entangled in her body.
“I think that Taylor Kern keeps coming on to me.”
Charlie chuckles. “You can’t sleep with the client Aidan, it’s not professional.”
“Its not like that!” Aidan laughed. He remembered when he met Amanda, she was wearing hardly any clothes and looking cute lost in the lobby of the Lakeside Inn. Then he remembered that was the same place he met Taylor Kern, the man was also looking for Aidan’s help.
“I actually have my eyes on someone else. I’ve been seeing a woman named Amanda Tucker, she’s a bartender at Shenanigan's Nightclub.”
“Shenanigan’s, huh?” Charlie smirked. “Just don’t introduce her to your family like that, who knows what kind of bull Kirsten will throw your way for that. I’m sure she is a nice girl and I understand that the whole Taylor thing can be awkward. Just ignore it and do your job.”
Aidan shook his head. “Okay.”
“You can tell him to kick rocks after the Book Signing.”
He took in Charlie’s advice and watched the man leave his sight. Looking around, Aidan flashed back to when he helped Amanda find the room she was searching for. She seemed so sweet and naive at first, maybe a little on the wild side. But now, she was proving a hard puzzle to figure out.
Which begged the question, was she worth it?
[.....]
Scene Nine:
745 W. Lavender St., Stone Creek. “Old Granger Manor”
Damien & Gillian’s Home.
Photobucket“I cannot believe she did that!” Gillian cursed, the woman found herself pacing the room with her fiance close by. She had just found out about her mother’s stint in the hospital after her alcohol poisoning. Although she wasn’t thrilled about hearing the news from Kirsten Sutton it was better than hearing it from a reporter.
Damien Crenshaw went to her side. “Gillian, calm down.” 
But she pushed his hands off of her. “No! That woman has put this family through so much already. She should have left my father years ago but she kept turning her head the other way while he just destroyed our lives. How does she even think alcohol is the answer?”
She scoffs at the thought. “When we were younger, Charlie and I watched them argue so many times. My mother always brought up Shannon Jurado and how my father wanted to leave us for that woman! But my mother never left. She just took the abuse.”
“Maybe she didn’t want to hurt you?”
Gillian shook her head. “Charlene Sutton is too selfish to think about us. She has always drowned her sorrows in the fact that she was second best to our father. My mother is a weak woman and-”
She stopped, locking eyes with Damien, Gillian tried to hold back the anger. “I am never going to be like that. Never will I be as weak as my mother has been all these years. I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings Damien, but I can’t let a man take advantage of my emotions.”
He pulled her into a hug. “You’re a strong woman Gill, you could never hurt my feelings.”
Suddenly the anger that she had been holding onto for so long subsided, Gillian looked up at Damien and kissed him on the lips. Hard and forceful, he accepted the lip-lock. Running his hand through her hair. When she pulled away, Damien smiled.
“What was that for?”
“The future. Just you wait and see Damien, things in the future are going to be really good.” Gillian had only hoped that what she was planning for them would be what Damien wanted. The plan to secure herself in a powerful position would definitely play a hand in their romance.
[.....]
Scene Ten:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens.
Stone Creek Ledger; Seth’s Office.
“You can’t run the story.” Patrick Sutton threatened, slipping into Seth Keeler’s office and standing over him. His presence was enough to put the younger man on edge. But the fact that they shared a sister also made Seth feel a tad bit comfortable.
PhotobucketPatrick locked his position across from Seth, stealing his gaze. “I know there’s no way to stop my wife’s collapse from leaking into the media, but I don’t need it to start from you. It would devastate Charlene if she found out that the news leaked from her home town.”
“I beg your pardon, but since when did you start caring about your wife?” Seth asked, he bit lightly. Deciding to stay seated in his chair as opposed to leveling with Patrick. “Do you not want people to think your home life is as tarnished as your name?”
“You must understand-”
“I do.” Seth snipped. “Which is why I made sure none of my reporters leaked the story. We share a sister, Patrick, we don’t share blood. But something as harmful as your wife’s mishap could affect her even worse than if she found out you were having an affair.”
Patrick was relieved to know his affairs hadn’t reach the light yet. But in all respect, they were his wife’s affairs as well. He leaned against Seth’s desk. “Either way, I thank you.”
Then he turned on his heel to walk out, his job here was done.
“You know someone else will report the story.” Seth called out. It was a reality that Patrick had been influenced to. You might be able to close one door but another will open in time. He looked back at Seth. “Someone will tell the world of Charlene’s alcohol abuse.”
Patrick huffed. “By that time it’ll be old news.”
“But it’ll be news non-the-less.” Seth sat at his chair, he knew there was no reasoning with Patrick. That the man was like every other Sutton that tried to rule Stone Creek. He remembered back to the stories his mother used to tell about how she was run out of town by Cutler Sutton.
There was once a time when Seth thought he could be friends with Patrick, but that time had seemed to distance itself from the present and once Kimberly finally left Stone Creek. So did the link between the Keeler’s and the Sutton’s. He watched as Patrick stormed out.
[.....]
Scene Eleven:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens.
Langford Willow Inn; Lucy’s Room.
PhotobucketIris Galloway closed the wooden door behind her and watched as her friend sat on the bed and played with her child. It had been a couple days since she had actually last seen her and it seemed as if she were even more unstable than the last time. Iris sighed.
Frank Nelson isn’t even in town right now.”
Lucy looked up, aware of the news. “That just gives me more time to work on my plan. I know that Frank doesn’t want anything to do with me, that much I’ve always known. But now,” She looked down at Sebastian. “Now I have something that Frank cannot refuse.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yes!” 
Her manicured fingers pulled strands of hair out of her face. Looking at her friend, Lucy pouted. “I know that my son is Frank’s son as well. There’s no denying that! I couldn’t keep them apart, even if I wanted to Iris. My life was so empty without him.”
Iris fell next to Lucy’s side. “We can get you on a plane to anywhere in the world, you don’t need to stay in Stone Creek and face Frank Nelson. He seems to be happy here with his wife, Deborah. You can explore the world just like you have always wanted.”
“I don’t think I’d be as happy traveling alone.”
“I’ll go with you.” Iris offered. “I’m sure there are plenty of teaching jobs overseas and we can raise Sebastian together as a family. You can have everything you’ve ever wanted Lucy. All you have to do is tell me and I can get you a transfer to Thurlow-Jurado Overseas.”
Lucy pulled away, repulsed. “I’m not no lesbian.”
“I didn’t say that.”
The puerto rican woman shook her head. “I want Frank and this baby boy is going to be the only way to get him back.” She looked down at the toddler. “Soon, you will see your daddy and soon everything will be alright.”
Iris sighed. She knew that Lucy was in over her head but there wasn’t anything she could do to stop her friend. So Iris had to do the next closest thing and make sure that Lucy didn’t cause any harm to Frank or Deborah. Or even herself. Looking at Lucy and Sebastian she knew it would be a tough job.
[.....]
Scene Twelve:
Stone Creek Memorial Hospital.
Charlene’s Hospital Room.
PhotobucketAfter his talk with Seth Keeler, Patrick Sutton made his way to the very woman he had been avoiding since Christmas. In her hospital bed she slept peacefully. After the doctor told him that she wanted to keep Charlene in the hospital to run some tests, Patrick didn’t oblique.
Although he knew it would only get the people in Stone Creek talking even more.
He watched her. Perched down next to her and watched as the woman he had married slept like she had never slept before. Mostly, ironically, due to a controlled substance pumping through her body. “I’m really sorry for everything I put you through.”
Patrick knew his words wouldn’t mean much to her, especially now. But he needed to get them out of his head before they began to weigh him down. “I never really looked out for you Charlene and I apologize for that. When Shannon left town and you were the only one around, I sort of took the easy way out of my pain and married you. This whole time, I know now that I’ve made you feel second best.”
“But you must know, maybe you can hear me,” He simply hoped that she couldn’t. “But maybe you can’t. There was a moment when you gave me two children and raised them mostly on your own. A moment when I fell in love with you and sometimes I still feel that way.”
The sound of a bed being rushed through the hallway caused Patrick to startle, he looked back towards the door. Missing Charlene open her eyes, she tilted her head away from him and fluttered her eyes closed. When Patrick turned back to his slumbering wife, he continued.
“I always thought that while Shannon was alive, you would just be a thorn in my side.” He spoke, his words finding an uncomfortable spot in Charlene’s mind. “But when she died, not only did I realize that I treated you so badly but that I kept blaming you for something I didn’t want to be.”
He took his hand and brushed her hair, a mangled mess, the result of stress and abuse. “I didn’t want to be Shannon’s second choice either. You gave birth to two of my children, spent many years dealing with my anger and yet you still stayed.”
Thinking back to when he manipulated Charlene and Kevin into ending their affair. “You gave up so much for me and for that I am sorry. But you must know now, even if you can’t hear me. Especially if you can’t hear me. That the love I had felt for you is now gone.”
“I hope one day you’ll understand.” He sighed. 
Patrick grasped her agile hand and lowered his head, kissing the skin lightly as if her body was full of poison and he carried the only antidote to free her from his spell.
Her eyes fluttered back open, but he couldn’t see as she was turned away. A small tear fell from Charlene’s eye as she tried desperately to remain still and unemotional, just like she did for most of her marriage to him.
[.....]
Scene Thirteen:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens.
Outside Shenanigan's Night Club.
PhotobucketClifton Briggs’ leather jacket wasn’t doing much to fight off the cold of the night as he stood in the alleyway with his hands clasped together. When his bouncer had told him that Damien Crenshaw was waiting outside he didn’t think twice about the weather. But with it still being December, it was a mistake that Clifton had made.
He had a rough couple of days, especially where Cassie and Lucian were concerned. But the thought of someone finding out what he had done for Damien Crenshaw was always at the back of his mind. When the other man approached him, Clifton stood up straight.
“It’s done, are you happy?” Clifton asked, knowing that the smug look on Damien’s face had given him an answer even before the man could. “I had the votes tampered with and nobody even realized that Patrick Sutton was supposed to win that election.”
Damien snarled. “That man deserves being knocked down a peg or two.”
The warmth from his body gave him an edge over Clifton’s and made him look put-together and god-like. “But I do thank you for that. For giving me the chance to see Patrick Sutton take a hit to the ego. I couldn’t have planned it better myself! I’m grateful for your loyalty.”
“Then you will hold up your end of the bargain?” Damien seemed to be thinking it over. “You promised me that you would help me out, I can’t smuggle anymore drugs into Stone Creek without the Mayor on my side Damien. Jared Marlowe had almost uncovered that!”
“What you are asking takes time.” Damien advised, he watched as Clifton grew uneasy. It was the first sign of emotion from the man he had seen in awhile and knew he was desperate. “I haven’t even been officially elected into the seat yet. There’s still a couple of things that need to be sorted out.”
Clifton stepped closer to the man. “You understand that if I don’t get what I want, that I have a lot of dirt on you Damien! I’d advise you to listen to me when I tell you that we had a deal. Don’t even think about backing down now, I have power in a lot of different places.”
“And yet you came to me to help you?” Damien sneered, which caused Clifton to recoil. “You forget that I have just as much dirt on you! Don’t throw me any of your ideal threats Clifton, they mean nothing when your hands are just as red as mine.” 
From the distance the two men looked like old friends, but not to the eyes that locked in on them. From her car, Helen Schmidt stared intently on the two men. She had been following Damien Crenshaw for the last hour now and it seemed hopeless. It wasn’t until he led her here did things get interesting.
Two men that didn’t seem to know one another were conversing in an alleyway. She didn’t know much about Clifton Briggs, but she knew enough to know that although he was a part of high society he had always meant bad news and not the ‘Patrick Sutton’ big bad. Clifton was into some shady stuff.
She stumbled for her phone and snapped a picture of the two.
[.....]
Next Time, On Concrete Shelves
  • The New Years Eve Ball gets started.
  • Miles’ plans get shot down.
  • Daphne worries about Penelope.
  • Someone collapses...