Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Mess I Made

Previously, On Concrete Shelves
  • Iris bumped into Deborah, with Sebastian.
  • Damien had secretly met with Caitlyn.
  • Aidan asked Amanda to move in with him.
  • Cassie broke things off with Mac...
[.....]
Photobucket
[.....]
Scene One:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens
Langford Willow Inn; Lucy’s Room
PhotobucketParking her car, Iris Galloway turned to look at Sebastian and pulled on a worried smile. She knew all of this would be bad for him, moving around. Living in such a horrible hotel. But Lucy couldn’t be talked out of this plan of hers and Iris knew sticking by her friend was the best idea.
At least until she figured out a plan of her own.
So she gathered Sebastian and knocked on the door to the room that belonged to Lucy for the time being. The February air was enough to air out the stench of mold and dust. Lucy let her friend in and quickly closed the door behind her. “I don’t understand why you took him out.”
Iris opened the window and looked out at the nice February sky. It looked like the late winter frost was kicking into high gear soon. Then she turned back to Lucy. “I couldn’t keep him cooped up in here, have you seen the place? I know you can afford a better hotel.”
“I could, yes. But then that would alert Frank that I am in town.” Lucy pushed past Iris and closed the window, then did the same to the blinds. “All you do is bring suspicion onto us Iris, do you ever think with your brain?”
Her friend grumbled, “Closing the blinds and cutting off the rest of the world doesn’t help either! Look, I’m sorry Lucy. It’s just that I was really freaked out when I bumped into Deborah today. She didn’t suspect anything, but I don’t like lying to people.”
“It’s a lot more fun with practice.”
Iris rolled her eyes. “Did you run the errands you wanted to?”
Lucy shook her head. “Frank should get the letter today and then we are free to roam around town into the next phase in our plan kicks into gear. I know he wants me and Sebastian, we just need him to realize it. But Deborah will talk him out of it if she knows that I am here.”
“She doesn’t know you’re here.”
“Good.” She spat. Lucy looked at her baby boy and tried to hold a solid face without crying. “This is all for him. One day he will have the life that he deserves and one day I will have the man that I fell in love with. I just have to make him believe that I left for Germany.”
“I don’t see how that is a good idea.”
Lucy locked eyes with Iris. “You don’t have to be here, you know.”
[.....]
Scene Two:
Stone Creek; Now Town
Thurlow Lumber Mill Building; Frank’s Office
“This came in the mail for you.” Ivan spoke, handing an envelope to Frank Nelson as the man passed by his personal assistant. It never surprised him how many assistants he had been through. Frank was known to go through them like tissues.
PhotobucketHe grabbed the envelope while sipping his coffee, nodding a thanks to Ivan and entering his office. Shutting the door behind him, Frank placed the mug of coffee on his desk. “What is so important about you that you needed to be sent rush delivery?”
Frank ripped open the envelope and pulled out a letter, “Dear Frank, I know we haven’t talked to each other in a couple months and that the closeness that we once shared has been left void. But I wanted you to know this before anyone else told you.”
Sighing, he sat down at his desk. “Today I have decided to resign from the Sunset Valley Division, I appreciate everything that you have done for me. Even if it was to protect your own ass. But I have found myself interested in a trip to Germany. I heard it is nice out there.”
“After everything that we have been through, some days I cannot sleep at night. I know you don’t want to hear about my last relationship but it ended because of you. Getting you out of my mind has been the roughest part of moving away. So I have found a new calling, away from the company. Away from you. Love always, Lucy.”
He couldn’t say he was surprised, sometimes Frank closed his eyes and let himself wander back to a time when his relationship with her was more than just about work. He licked his lips, knowing that the best thing he did was send Lucy Hahn to Sunset Valley.
Frank folded the letter back up and looked out his window, he had always had the perfect view of Stone Creek. He hadn’t noticed it until Lucy pointed it out one of the first times they had sex in his office. A small smile protruded through his gloomy exterior.
Germany, huh? It wasn’t the first place he would have chosen, but he felt some sort of relief to know she was thinking of leaving him alone and trying to move on with her life. Frank hoped that Lucy wasn’t in Stone Creek and hoped the feeling he was getting; alerting him that she was in town. Was completely wrong.
Because it would ruin his marriage to Deborah.
[.....]
Scene Three:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens
Sage Gardens Town Square
PhotobucketDamien Crenshaw hadn’t heard from Gillian in awhile, he remembered that she wanted to stay low key about everything, especially their secret marriage in mid January at the courthouse out of town. But it wasn’t like her to not call him.
It was even stranger that she didn’t pick up his calls.
But then again, there were things about Gillian that Damien still was learning and he knew that she would call him back soon. So instead of getting worried, he placed his phone back in his jacket pocket and smiled at the sight of Caitlyn walking up the street.
He hadn’t seen her in awhile, not since the New Years Eve Ball.
She had spotted him as well, but Caitlyn wasn’t alone. Deborah Nelson walked along side Caitlyn, holding the hand of little Megan Sutton. The little girl he had rescue from being some perve’s midnight snack. Damien still felt he should have received a reward for finding Megan.
Or at least a thank you. “Caitlyn, so nice to see you here.”
Deborah scoffed, which Damien made sure to ignore.
“I can’t say the same for you.” Caitlyn snipped, she caught eyes with Deborah who clutched onto Megan and led her towards the Ice Cream shop. “Maybe the two of you should wait for me inside, there’s some unfinished business I have with our dear Mayor.”
Damien smirked. “I’m glad you’re accepting of my new found pedigree.”
“Pedigree means you have been born into royalty.” Deborah spit, garnering the attention of both Caitlyn and Damien. Quickly she stepped back in-line with Megan. “How about we go inside and get you some ice cream? Maybe save your grandma Caitlyn a cone?”
Megan shrugged and allowed Deborah to lead her away.
“Now that we’re alone.” He stated.
My husband wants to put a restraining order against you Damien.” Caitlyn spoke, she felt unconvinced of the necessity of it and she knew he would read into that. “But I told him not to, that you wouldn’t be of any bother to us anymore.”
Damien nodded his head. “I don’t think I’ve ever been a bother to you, Caitlyn.”
“He doesn’t know that you’ve been stalking me.”
“Bumping into you.” He corrected.
Caitlyn’s frustration was getting the best of her, so instead she turned away from Damien and walked into the Ice Cream Shop. “It was nice bumping into you Caitlyn.”
Turning away from her, he smiled proudly.
Photobucket
Scene Four:
980 Cutler St., Stone Creek. Faustino Cottages # 10
Natalie & Amanda’s Cottage
Taking a glass out of the cabinet, Natalie filled it with water and looked at her only friend. Even if Amanda Tucker was nice to Natalie because she let her stay in the Cottage for free all this time. Still, she didn’t have to be nice after her father left and stopped paying the rent.
“Why the long face, Mandy?” Natalie asked.
PhotobucketThe blonde looked up, noticing Natalie’s presence. “It’s really nothing Nat, I’ve just been thinking about some things and I’ve come to the conclusion that everyone is right. Thinking gives you headaches and I’ve got a huge one right here.” She pointed to her head, irritably.
Natalie snickered. “Vodka.”
“What?”
“Vodka helps you relax.” Taking her glass of water, Natalie held it up with an awkward smile. “But what has you thinking Amanda? You really don’t do much of that unless it comes to mixing drinks or posing in front of the camera.” She added.
Amanda shrugged. “Aidan wants me to move in with him.”
“Are you going to do it?” Natalie asked, gasping at the realization. She sat across from Amanda and concentrated on her, trying to read her thoughts. But if there were any in her head, Natalie sure wasn’t able to get to them. Instead Amanda looked confused.
Natalie snapped out of it. “I’m sorry, I just-”
She sighed, leaned back and looked away. “Are you going to move in with him? I mean I know the two of you have been getting mighty seriously lately. But moving in? That’s a huge step to take and I don’t know what kind of boots you’ve been wearing late-”
“Alexander McQueen.”
“What?”
Amanda cleared her throat. “I bought them from a drift store on 5th avenue, they’re vintage Alexander McQueen.”
This caused Natalie to chuckle, which in turn made Amanda smile. “I’m just saying, it’s a big step to take and I have to ask you, are you ready for that?”
“I’ve been thinking about that.”
“Well, you know what happens when you run off and play house with Mr. Homosexual. First comes sex, then comes marriage and then comes Amanda Tucker looking fatter than ever with a baby carriage.” Natalie smirked. “How do you even know he’s the one?”
Amanda frowned. “I can’t get fat, Helen will fire me like she did to Cassie.”
“Exactly.”
“He’s not gay.” Amanda pressed, she folded her arms. “Aidan is very European, sort of Metrosexual, but trust me when I tell you this. There isn’t an ounce of gay in that men.”
Natalie watched as her friend seemed proud of herself. “In order to be European, he must be from Europe.”
[.....]
Scene Five:
Stone Creek; Now Town
Thurlow Lumber Mill Offices; James’ Office
Photobucket“So he’s not talking?” James Thurlow asked, he sifted through some of his papers at work while he placed his good friend Gideon Wilkinson on speaker phone. They had been talking about the mystery man that shot both Miles and Cassie on New Years Eve.
He felt horrible as they tried to track down this man’s identity, but he seemed to fall off the radar and that was beginning to worry everyone involved. “The worse thing is with Miles in the hospital, Cassie is the only one who can really identify him. But with everything that has happened lately-”
“She’s not talking, is she?” James finished, he sighed. He didn’t blame Cassie for not wanting to think about what happened that night.
“Cassie hasn’t even been in so that we could get her statement, James.” Gideon acknowledged. “I’ve put it off for awhile, but there’s a council that will tie my hands if she doesn’t come forward to help with the investigation. I know how close your family is to her.”
“I’ll talk to her.” James replied.
A knock on the door signaled him to someone’s presence. James looked up when his wife, entered the office and he greeted her with a smile. “Hey, Gideon, Caitlyn actually just walked into my office right now. Would you care to say hello to her?”
“Hello Gideon.” Caitlyn chimed.
“It’s nice to hear your voice Caitlyn, how’s our day been?”
Caitlyn looked up at James, unclear if she was allowed to let Gideon in on what has been happening lately with Frank Nelson and his secretary, Lucy. “Just running errands and babysitting Megan. You know the life of a housewife. Slash. City council member.”
“You know what Gideon, how about I call you later?” James declared, his eyes locked on his wife with suspicion. After their goodbyes he hung up and sighed. “Where’s Megan?”
She sat down across from him. “Deborah is watching her because I needed to come here and tell you something James. We ran into Iris today at the park and she had a little boy with her. During the holiday’s I listened to a conversation that Iris had with Lucy.”
Caitlyn frowned, followed by a heavy sigh. “That little boy looks like Frank, James. I covered for Iris because I didn’t want Deborah to connect any dots. But Deborah recognized his eyes and I don’t know how much longer we can continue to lie to her.”
“We can’t get into this Caitlyn.”
“They’re our friends.” Caitlyn demanded. “We always stick close to our friends, you told me that. You told me that we should always look out for our friends and I think that Iris is the key to finding out where Lucy is hiding. I know we can’t tell Deborah about her affair with Frank.”
Caitlyn rubbed her forehead. “But we have to at least give Frank enough time so that he can come to his senses and tell her himself.”
[.....]
Scene Six:
2634 W. Parker St., Stone Creek. Callahan Condo’s #15
Marina, Cassie & Lucian’s Condo.
PhotobucketStepping into the house, Cassie Lakhani is immediately greeted by her son Lucian as he tugs at her jeans. “I’ve missed you little man.” She pouted, picking him up and giving him a kiss on the cheek. Which he automatically pulls away from and cringes.
“Already pulling away from mommy.” Cassie quipped.
Marina walked into the Living Room. “Don’t worry, he has been hiding from me for the past hour. I think he’s already learning that the quickest way to a woman’s heart is to break it first.”
The bitter tone in Marina’s voice was odd, but Cassie chose to ignore it. Only to focus on the bitterness in her thoughts, she placed Lucian in his play pen and then turned to her best friend. “Chocolate Chip Cookies sound good?”
“Lovely.” She smirked.
“So, it’s official. There’s no more Mac and now I have time to focus on Lucian and integrating Clifton into our daily lives. I know it’s sort of a little late, but now we can focus on being an actual family and not this whole demented awkward family we have been lately.”
Marina pulled everything out of the stove. “Is that what you want?”
It was a question that caused Cassie a lot of grief, instead she tried to smile. “How are you and Ian doing, I haven’t seen him around lately.”
“He’s been working at the Clinic a lot more. We just haven’t had the opportunity to spend time together is all.” Marina replied, hastily. She preheated the stove and then looked up at Cassie. “I’ve been busy as well, so its a mutual thing. Don’t give me that look.”
“No look, just wondering.” Cassie smirked. “I’ve been so focused on Mac and Clifton and what is best for Lucian. On top of that school and that stupid shooting. Just checking up on my best friend and seeing how she has been, is all. I miss us.”
Marina pouted, shuffling over to hug Cassie. “If we are single by the time we are forty I think we should be lesbians together.”
“I don't think that's how being lesbians work.” Cassie chuckled.
[.....]
Scene Seven:
980 Cutler St., Stone Creek. Faustino Cottages #7
Charlie, Kirsten, Charlene & Megan’s Cottage.
PhotobucketCharlie Sutton hung up his coat.
Then he walked into the Living Room and noticed his mother glued to the TV, flipping through the channels as if she were a normal housewife bored with her husband's discard of her. It was so unusual to see her in this state, Charlene Sutton was never one to stay in one room for so long.
So when he sat on the couch next to her, Charlie made sure to try and act as calm as normal. “How was your day mother?”
She turned to him. “I understand that Megan can stay here Charlie, I’m not upset at that. I had the whole day to just think about it and I’ve come to the conclusion that I deserve this. To be isolated from everyone else. I put a lot of people in danger.”
“You have a drinking problem, mother. It’s not your fault for what happened that night, it is all Patrick’s.” He sighed. “He used your drinking problem against you and pushed you to the edge so that he could feel better about himself. If it’s anybody’s fault, it’s his!”
“No Charlie-”
“No, mother!” He raised his voice, only taking a moment to calm himself down. “How could he have done this to you? For years we watched, Gillian and I, watched the two of you fight and each time you drank more and more.”
Charlene teared up.
The weakness inside of his mother was gleaming tonight. It was becoming so easy to spot now, Charlie grabbed her hand to comfort her. “We can bring Megan back into the house if it makes you feel any better and maybe we can start having family nights.”
“You don’t understand Charlie.”
He shook his head. “I understand enough.”
“That night,” she spoke, clearing her throat, “that night when the three of you found me, I was trying to kill myself. I don’t know why I thought it would cure anything now. But I was so angry with the way I had lived my life that I wanted to end it Charlie.”
It was as if a knife had plunged into his stomach, his eyes, they teared up and pulled his mother into a hug. Trying to comfort himself with the truths she had just told him.
[.....]
Scene Eight:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens
Shenanigan’s Night Club; Outside Parking Lot.
PhotobucketThe line to Shenanigan’s was surprisingly long, which in retrospect was a good sign in Mac Kern’s eyes as he approached it. This meant that he might actually find someone tonight to help get over Cassie Lakhani. His eyes caught on his friend, Dizzy Roberts.
With a frown, she hung-up her cellphone and walked over to him. “Where’s my brother?”
Dizzy patted Mac’s chest. “You know that brother of yours, I don’t think he’s coming. Gave me some bullshit about having things that he needed to do. Which makes me think he might be blowing us off so that he can go see his doctor friend again.”
“Do you think so?” Mac asked, he peered towards the front of the line. “Taylor isn’t really the type of guy to sleep with someone twice unless he actually cares for them. Maybe this doctor is a good thing, like a savior in disguise.”
“Still doesn’t help us.” She admitted, leaning against Mac. “But lets forget about Taylor and focus on ourselves! We said tonight was going to be our night, so lets live it.”
He agreed, placing his arm around Dizzy. The excitement of finding someone to help him forget about Cassie rushed through Mac’s body. Cassie didn’t want to be with him, he had to accept that. There was a time he thought they could work things out, but that time had passed.
Like a leaf, drifting off into oblivion. 
Mac watched as the line moved an inch. He had hoped his brother would be here with them, to maybe ease Mac’s nerves. But if Dizzy was right about her assumption and Taylor is with the doctor he had been seeing then things might be looking up for at least one of the Kern brothers.
He sighed.
[.....]
Scene Nine:
Stone Creek; Cuttlebone Lake
Lakeside Inn Courtyard.
Photobucket“Why’d you call me here?” Taylor Kern asked, walking towards Aidan Jurado.
His heart was pounding, aching to get down to the point of why Aidan had asked him to meet with him. It wasn’t as if they had anymore work to be done, Taylor’s book signing was already over and he had found mild success through it. Patiently, he waited for an answer.
Aidan sighed. “We need to talk.”
“Those words are never fun to hear.” Taylor quipped.
It was enough to cause a slight crack in Aidan’s composure. A small smirk, a blink of the eye, sort of smirk. One of the many parts of Aidan that Taylor was observing and taking in.
The only thing they had to talk about was the New Years Eve Ball. “About?”
“The kiss.” Aidan spat, making sure no one was around to hear.
There it was. Whenever Taylor closed his eyes he could taste Aidan’s lips on his. There was obviously something there, something trying to get out. Trying to attach itself to Taylor and between the two of them, Taylor could feel the warmth of Aidan so close.
He ran his hands through Aidan’s hair in this very Courtyard on New Years Day.
Taylor held Aidan’s face in the palm of his hand and pushed his lips against Aidan’s as they sat across from each other on the old concrete bench. He could feel Aidan’s hands wrap around his body. Taylor quickly pulled at Aidan’s clothes, he could feel the heat radiating from his body as he did so.
But then Aidan pulled away and walked off. 
The two men looked at each other, in that very moment. Taylor gulped, he had only wished that Aidan had stayed that night. That they could have went further and explored each other’s bodies. He now had to imagine what the rest of Aidan’s body tasted like.
It was an intrigue that was killing him.
“We need to talk about the kiss we shared on New Years Day.”
[.....]
Next Time, On Concrete Shelves
  • Aidan gives Taylor an answer.
  • David deals with Helen.
  • Natalie gets bad news.
  • Gideon makes a discovery that changes everything...