Wednesday, February 8, 2012

If Only They Knew

Previously, On Concrete Shelves
  • Lucy Hahn returned to Stone Creek, secretly.
  • Leia revealed that she left her husband.
  • Miles Fowler lay in a coma.
  • Deborah felt Frank was lying to her...
[.....]
Photobucket
[.....]
Scene One:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens.
Stone Creek Community Park.
PhotobucketDeborah Nelson walked one foot in front of the other, her companion for the trip to the park following foot. It had been quite some time since she’d been out here, remembering a company picnic that had taken place a couple months ago. She turned to Caitlyn, “It’s nice to be out here.”
“You obviously don’t get out much.” Caitlyn replied, she watched as Megan skipped in front of the pair. Taking note of the little girl’s actions and noticing how she was starting to appear like herself again. “Sometimes I like to bring Megan out here to just forget about things.”
Deborah sighed. “I can’t get it out of my head, you know? I was sure that Frank was cheating on me with Lucy Hahn before she left town. But now, I really don’t know what is going on with him.” She folded her arms. “I know he didn’t sleep with Isobel, god rest that poor girl’s soul.”
The thought of Isobel Cortez saddened Deborah Nelson. She had hired the younger woman as a test to see if her husband would make a pass at her. But she never expected that Isobel would die shortly after. To be the sister of that lunatic, Deborah shook her head.
“Do you think Frank is cheating on me again?” Deborah asked, but Caitlyn had wanted to avoid the conversation all together. “Of course you don’t! You live in a fantasy world with that husband of yours, everything is always so easy for the two of you.”
“Not that easy-”
But Deborah had already moved on from the conversation. “When we came back from visiting the children, he went straight to working and had nearly forgotten about us. Like if nothing had changed. But what should I expect, I married a work-a-holic just like I had wanted.”
“I think maybe you should find something to occupy your time.” Caitlyn spoke.
Deborah raised an eyebrow, just as her phone rang. “Excuse me will you? I’ve got to take this.”
Caitlyn turned to see Megan talking to Iris Galloway up ahead and made her way towards the woman. To Caitlyn's surprise Iris had a child with her. She greeted Iris warmly, a smile glued to her face as she knew deep down that the child had to Lucy’s.
After overhearing the conversation that Iris was having during the holiday’s Caitlyn knew the young woman who was fitting to marry Emmet Thurlow knew where Lucy was. The only problem was, how was she going to prove this to everybody else?
[.....]
Scene Two:
2634 W. Parker St., Stone Creek. Callahan Condo’s #8
Emily Roscoe’s Condo.
PhotobucketShe looks up at the ceiling, although she had tried to, Emily Roscoe didn’t get much sleep last night. But there was no complaining in her body, she cuddled up next to her fiance and took in his aroma. How she had been so lucky to find a guy as understanding as Bentley, was beyond her.
“So do we continue with the wedding?” Bentley asked, breaking the silence between them.
If she had it her way, Emily wouldn’t have minded the silence. The last couple of months of them spending the night at each other’s apartments had consisted of a lot of silence. But it felt right. Comfortable. Emily looked up at Bentley, “Well we have to see what Greta wants us to do.”
Her fiance kissed her forehead.
“If Greta wants us to continue with out them, do you think it’s right?”
Emily shrugged. “We would have to get to that boat when it sails our way. But even if we wait for your sister and Miles, I don’t mind Bentley. I mean, we can always plan out the wedding, get everything in order and then just wait for Miles to wake up.”
She dreaded the thought of Bentley being in Miles’ position. Laying in a hospital bed with the possibility of never waking up. The thought of some random person shooting Bentley just for being at the wrong place at the wrong time. She shuddered.
“If I were in Miles' shoes-”
“Don’t say that.” Emily placed a finger to his lips. “You don’t understand how simple it could have been you or anybody else in that bed Bentley, your father said it was a random act of violence. I don’t even want to think of you being in a coma.”
He smirked. “Then we won’t.”
“Good, because there is still so much that needs to be done today and I was hoping that we could take a shower together before I head out.” Emily insisted, lifting herself off the bed and pulling the blanket with her, leaving Bentley’s naked body behind.
He chuckled. “Old Miss Caplan is getting a free show of my junk right now!”
His statement reminded Emily about her nosey neighbor in the complex next door. “Then you better hurry!” Emily quipped, turning around with a smirk.
[.....]
Scene Three:
Stone Creek; Now Town.
Stone Creek Memorial Hospital; Miles Fowler’s Room.
Greta Wilkinson watched her fiance from the window. The first time she visited him had taken so much out of her that she decided that she needed more time. Coming to terms that you want to spend the rest of your life with someone is hard enough to do, especially for  a woman like Greta.
PhotobucketBut then coming to terms with the fact that it might never be a possibility. She hung her head in sadness. Some days she could convince herself that everything would be alright. But then when she came to see Miles, the pain came flooding back and she didn’t know how to go on.
“I’m sorry.” Ryan Bauer walked up behind her.
Greta turned to greet him, startled.
She watched as her once closest friend looked at her fiance through the window. Both standing in silence as they watched to see if Miles would steer from his slumber, but not a finger flinched and it ate at her soul once again.
“I should have been here for you Greta,” Ryan spoke, the words trying to fill the void in her heart. “When I found out about Miles I should have come to your side and asked if you needed anything. But I was to busy with my own troubles.”
She shrugged it off. “Don’t worry about it.”
Ryan placed his arm around her. “I’m here now.”
There was a time when they were more than friends and she could share everything with him. Even when Ryan left town, Greta still felt a sting in her heart and a tug at her soul. “I just don’t know how to hold my emotions back this time Ryan.”
“So you’re going to wait for him?” He asked.
Greta locked eyes with Ryan. “I can’t imagine doing anything else.”
Photobucket
Scene Four:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens.
Stone Creek Community Park.
After her phone call, Deborah Nelson returned to the two women who were now making conversation. Taking notice of Iris Galloway and offering a handshake, “My name is Deborah Nelson,” she took notice of the flinch Iris let off at the mention of her name, “I don’t think we’ve met.”
Photobucket“Not formally, no.” Iris replied, she licked her lips in nervousness. “My name is Iris Galloway, I’m Emmet’s fiance. But I’ve seen you at a couple of the Town’s Balls through the years Mrs. Nelson.”
Deborah smiled. “Please, call me Deborah.”
“Certainly.”
She took notice of the little boy that accompanied Iris and smiled, warmly. “I didn’t know you had a child with you? Emmet has never mentioned you having a child of your own, what’s his name?”
“He belongs to a friend of hers.” Caitlyn jumps in, she brings Megan closer to her as she plays with the little girl’s hair, hoping that Deborah doesn’t ask anymore questions. Caitlyn knew who the child belonged to, it was only a process of elimination and because he looked so much like a Nelson, she wanted the conversation squashed.
Deborah smiled, letting the conversation drop. “It is nice meeting you, properly.”
“The same to you.” Iris responded, taking Sebastian with her and excusing herself from the women. They watched as she walked off, Caitlyn knowing that they had just dodged a huge bullet. Especially if they were to get to the bottom of why Lucy is in town and what she wanted with Frank.
“I was on the phone with your step-daughter, Marina.” Deborah spoke, killing the tension between the two women. “She wants me to start counseling her friend Cassie. That poor girl has been through so much in the last two years, it is about time she turned to therapy.”
Caitlyn smirked. “Well, I’m glad she is coming to you.”
“Yeah,” Deborah trailed off, turning back to the direction Iris left in. “She seemed a bit frazzled, Emmet’s fiance; and that child, I can’t brush off the fact that I’ve seen him before.” Deborah turned back to Caitlyn, with a solemn face. “He has Frank’s eyes.”
[.....]
Scene Five:
Stone Creek; Now Town.
HEAT Magazine Headquarters; Helen’s Office.
Natalie Marlowe looked at her boss. “I’d like to know why Oliver hasn’t showed up for work and why you’d rather me come all the way up here to talk to you instead of working with the models?” Her gaze narrowed at Helen. “I know how much you hate wasting company time.”
Photobucket“Which is why I called you here.” Helen remained cryptic, her lips pursed. “As of today you are going to be taking over for Oliver full-time and I won’t take no for an answer Natalie. I know our past has been sort of, well, none-existant but I hope this can change things.”
“What’s going on?”
Helen rolled her eyes. “I want you to start taking photography classes. After what I’ve seen from you in the prints I think you have a great eye for flair and that is what I am looking for. I know you wanted to be a famous model and all that, but this is a close second.”
There was still a question that Helen hadn’t answered. “Where’s Oliver?”
“I had to let him go.” Helen replied, hesitantly. “It seems that one of the models filed harassment charges against him and I can’t afford to keep his contract with the company. I just wished that you would have come to me first about his problems instead of hiding them.”
“I tried to-” Natalie bit back.
But Helen waved her off. “I need you to start on a couple projects immediately, don’t make me regret this decision Natalie because I’m afraid this is the last straw for us.”
She felt bad for Oliver having to lose his job, but Natalie knew he brought it upon himself. With her father out of town and her mother not paying much attention to her, she knew that the offer Helen presented was her best choice of getting the recognition she deserved.
“Alright.” Natalie replied. “I’ll do it.”
[.....]
Scene Six:
980 Cutler St., Stone Creek. Faustino Cottages #12
Diem & Leia’s Cottage.
PhotobucketLooking at the papers in her hands, Diem Joplin knew that the lead Emily Roscoe had given her was now officially all dried up and it devastated the woman. Now she would have to try another approach with the bracelet in hopes to find the truth behind Emily’s birth parents.
Her daughter, Leia walked into the room. A light knock indicating her arrival, Diem looked up and smiled. “What can I do for you darling? I’m sort of working on a case right now.”
Leia seemed out of sorts, so Diem placed the bracelet to the side.
“Is everything alright Leia?”
“I don’t know, I was just washing the dishes from lunch earlier and I couldn’t help but think about how my life is going at this very moment.” The younger woman sat across from her mother. Diem cocked her head in confusion, letting Leia go on. “I’ve made mistakes in the past.”
“We all have.” Diem admitted.
Leia pursed her lips. “I just don’t know if I should trust my instincts anymore. Because at one point they have led me a stray and into the arms of Richard. If my instincts could lead me into the arms of a wife beater, how could I ever trust them again?”
Diem remembered her past with William and sympathized with her daughter. “You just do. There was a time in my life that I thought I didn’t deserve to love someone again because I thought that it was my fault that my relationship failed with your father. But you just get up and move on.”
Her daughter sighed. “I’m so sorry.”
“For what?”


“Being angry at you.” Leia replied. “For so long I thought that you didn’t try hard enough with my father and that is why he left us. But now I know that sometimes you just try your hardest and things don’t work out. I’m supposed to be married right now with children; not divorced.”
“Well,” Diem smiled through tear stained eyes. “You got farther than I ever did.”
Leia chuckled a little, but still she felt lost.
[.....]
Scene Seven:
Stone Creek; Now Town.
Stone Creek Memorial Hospital; Miles Fowler’s Room.
PhotobucketWalking down the halls of the Hospital, Dr. David Schmidt pulled out his phone and smiled at the picture of his newborn granddaughter. After everything that had happened between himself, Gail and Adrian looking at Violet’s smiling face made it all worth it.
Then he got a text message from his wife, Helen. Can I come home?
He sighed, knowing that he was only pushing his problems away. Then he looked up and found that he had wandered into the ICU wing and spotted Daphne Wilkinson peering into Miles’ room. He slid the phone back into his pocket and walked up to her. 
Daphne only turned around to greet David. “Growing up Greta was always so brave and calculated. She knew exactly what she wanted to do and didn’t need anybody’s help to do it. But I still watched over her, as much as I could. I knew what it felt to be a wide-eyed teenager.”
“That Rodney guy I heard about in the paper?” David asked, knowing that a long time ago Rodney Burnett had attacked Daphne and her family on numerous occasions. He sighed. “Everything is going to be alright, Daphne. We have to believe that.”
She shrugged. “Whether Miles wakes up or not, right now my little girl is going through a pain that I can’t protect her from. How do you even try to comprehend what she is going through? How do I even try to help her get through this all David?”
“You have to be there for her.”
Daphne took a deep breath of air and smiled at David. “You have a beautiful granddaughter, I snuck a peak at her while she was in the hospital.”
Obvious to the subject change, David thanked her. “After everything that has happened, I’m just thankful that Violet is safe and so is my daughter. Without my family I don’t know what I would do. Out of everyone in this town, not many know what it feels like to almost lose them.”
“To think we could have lost our little girls.” Daphne replied.
“Lets not think like that.” David replied, he placed his hands in his pocket and felt his phone. He knew that he had to talk to Helen about the last couple of weeks. About how he had been ignoring her after finding out that she was the one who tried to keep Gail out of town.
He looked back at Daphne. “Will you excuse me? There’s something that I have to do.”
“Certainly.” Daphne nodded, turning back to Miles’ hospital room.
[.....]
Scene Eight:
Stone Creek; Now Town.
HEAT Magazine Headquarters; Helen’s Office.
Leaving the building so that she could get started on finding a photography class to crash, Natalie Marlowe didn’t notice the figure come up behind her. But how could she, it was broad daylight and nobody would attack in such a public place like this.
But Oliver Cuthbert grabbed her by the arm and turned her around.
“What the hell?” Natalie spit, realization causing her eyes to grow.
PhotobucketA slither of a smile could be found on Oliver’s face as his eyes were filled with rage. “I knew you would be here. So what? Did she offer you my position already? How could you even do it Natalie? I know you were the bitch behind reporting me!”
She held her ground. “I didn’t do anything Oliver!”
“Right, like I’m supposed to believe that!” He shook his head. “I know that we have been through some shit Nat, but I thought out of everyone you understood me. I thought that maybe we were actually making a connection. But of course not! That’s not how Natalie Marlowe does things.”
“I don’t know what you’re getting at Oliver, but for once you should believe me. You know, it was about time that someone reported your sorry ass for sexual harassment. I was just shocked that it didn’t happen sooner.” She pushed past him and started walking towards her car.
But Oliver followed suit. “Look at you. Everyone gather around and praise the holy slut of social climbing. They really should offer classes in the art that you’ve perfected. You what? Sleep with everyone around to get everything you want? Play the misunderstood rich bitch card when someone calls you out?”
She found herself disgusted with him.
“I will find out who you got to fire me Natalie.” He spat, his posture had changed from the smug douche bag he once was. It was something that scared Natalie a little bit, but she wouldn’t dare let him see that side of her. “Once I do that I will ruin you.”
“Go to hell.” Natalie spat, turning on her heel and walking away.
“I wonder how Ryan Bauer puts up with a power hungry whore like you!” Oliver shouted, causing people to stop all around them and pay the two of them attention. Finally, for once, Natalie didn’t want to be the center of it and silently wished it would end.
[.....]
Scene Nine:
Stone Creek; Now Town.
Stone Creek Police Department; Jail Cells.
PhotobucketGideon Wilkinson had spent days trying to figure out why the events at the New Years Eve Ball took place, but had hadn’t gotten anywhere besides finding the culprit who shot Miles Fowler and Cassie Lakhani. He walked down the corridors of the Police Department and found himself looking at various offenders of the law.
Most of them would be out of jail in the next couple hours.
He then approached the cell of a man he had hoped wouldn’t be leaving the Police Station for awhile. Not until he got everything out of him. Gideon had told the public that the events where just mere random occurrences, but he knew something was off.
Obviously Cassie was shot to keep his existence unknown. But why would someone deliberately try to kill Miles Fowler? It was true that the man was the Detective of Stone Creek’s Police Department, but he hadn’t seen enough to garner any enemies.
But he couldn’t assume so.
“Why did you shoot them?” Gideon asked, but the man didn’t say anything.
Instead he walked up to the bars, his hands gripping onto the bars tightly and he smirked. A deviously shallow smirk that caused goosebumps down Gideon’s spine. “I’m not going to ask you-”
“If only they knew.” The man seethed, through tired and exhausted breaths. “If only they knew why I shot them, then things could have ended much differently.”
[.....]
Next Time, On Concrete Shelves
  • Lucy sets her plan in motion.
  • Amanda and Natalie discuss her moving out.
  • Charlene comes clean with Charlie.
  • Taylor meets up with Aidan...