Friday, September 23, 2011

The Shade of Poison Trees

Previously, On Concrete Shelves
  • Gillian was disowned by her family because of Damien.
  • Cassie decided to go back to school.
  • After losing Charlene, Kevin tried to rekindle things with Melanie.
  • Damien started plotting his revenge...
[.....]
Photobucket
[.....]
Scene One:
2634 W. Parker St., Stone Creek. Callahan Condos #15
Marina, Cassie & Lucian’s Condo.
PhotobucketCassie Lakhani scampered around the condo trying to collect her books and gather Lucian’s things together for her best friend. This was the part of the week that she dreaded, leaving Lucian with someone else while she left for her weekly visit at Stone Creek Community College. 
Although her classes were online, which meant she could juggle taking care of Lucian and do school at the same time. Cassie did have one day a week where she had to leave Lucian in someone else’s care while she went to review with her course instructor. Since today was Clifton’s day of work, she had to rely on Marina.
“Are you getting everything together for the next ten years of Lucian’s life?” Marina Thurlow asked entering the Kitchen in her PJ’s. Cassie’s eyes darted up at her best friend before she found amusement in what she was talking about. “Is everything alright?”
Cassie shrugged. “It’s fine. I just don’t want to leave you unprepared is all.”
“I’ve taken care of him before Cass.” Marina made a note that she was going to have more success making her coffee this morning than going out and buying it from Alice’s Haven Cafe. Starting the coffee maker, she turned back to Cassie. “Besides, it’s only going to be for a couple of hours.”
“You’re right.” Cassie sighed, she slouched against the counter. “I guess I’m just a little upset that I haven’t seen much of Clifton lately. Not that I am getting close to him or anything, I’m just used to him helping with Lucian.”
Marina eye’d her friend. “Right, well you better get all your things together before you’re late for school.”
“How are things with you?” Cassie asked, catching Marina off-guard. She smiled sweetly at her friend, hoping that the answer wouldn’t be as bad as the awkwardness that just overcame them. Cassie rubbed Marina’s shoulder. “I’m sure everything will look up.”
“Well it could.” Marina sighed. “I mean nothing is certain yet but I went to go see Ian the other night and although he didn’t say it, I think things between us are repairable. There was just so much damage done that I am hoping that it is still possible.”
“You did a lot of damage, yes.” Cassie grabbed her bag and books. “But good things take time, right? Maybe Ian just needs more time to figure himself out. He did just gain a whole family in the public eye. Whether he knew about it or not, that is a lot to digest.”
Giving her best friend a hug, Marina guided her to the door. “You’re right. Don’t worry so much about Lucian, he is safe with me Cass. I know it is hard for you, getting passed what happened with Catalina and Audrey and the hostage situation. But it’s all over now and we can get through this, okay?”
“Alright.” Cassie nodded, looking around the apartment before heading out for class.
[.....]
Scene Two:
745 W. Lavender St., Stone Creek. “Old Granger Manor”
Damien & Gillian’s Home.
PhotobucketWalking into the living room, Gillian Sutton stopped when she saw her fiance, Damien Crenshaw, getting his things together. There was a certain skip to his form today. Folding her arms Gillian tried to figure out what his deal was and she knew the only way to figure it out was to ask.
“Good Morning.” She spoke, announcing her presence.
Damien turned around and spotted her, giving Gillian a hug and a kiss on the cheek. “You’re looking stunning beautiful, what do we have on our plate today?”
She smiled. “I was actually going to ask you the same thing.” Pointing to his briefcase. “What’s going on Mr. Crenshaw? Should I be worried about this new venture? I did invest money into you.”
The chuckle from her fiance caused Gillian some comfort. Although she knew he was known for withholding information and sneaking around. “I just have a few meetings to go to and then if you want, we can spend the rest of the day together.”
Whatever his meetings were about seemed like a big deal, she remembered him leaving their bed early in the morning to get ready for this. Slowly letting it slip in, Gillian smiled back. “Alright, well it all depends on what happens today for me. I want to see Charlie and Kirsten today since they’ll be back from Paris.”
“What brought this along?” Damien furrowed his brow.
Gillian shrugged. “I’m just tired of not being around my family is all. Maybe if I get Charlie on board then my parents won’t be so hard to convince that you are a trustworthy guy.”
“Well I think your mother will be easier to convince than Patrick, but I commend you for trying.” Damien grabbed his things, slid his coat on and then turned back to Gillian, naive little Gillian. “Just be careful as far as your family is concerned.”
“They’re not that bad.”
Damien gulped. “Your father is a very powerful man Gillian, you should know what he would do to get his way. I know you want to make piece with them before our wedding, but just watch out for any signs of them trying to jeopardize our happiness.”
She smiled, it was rare for Damien to mention their future wedding, mostly he just skipped the conversation all together. “Alright, if it makes you feel better I will keep an ear out for any diabolical plans to sabotage us.” She teased, moving over to Damien and wrapping her arms around his neck.
“Good.” 
Gillian leaned in a kissed him passionately, hoping to help ease his nerves as well as hers.
[.....]
Scene Three:
Stone Creek Memorial Hospital.
Penelope’s Hospital Room.
Although she had gotten into town late last night, Caitlyn Thurlow, took it upon herself to wake up early in the morning and visit her friend in the hospital. She had missed Penelope Wilkinson’s surgery, which Caitlyn was informed went well. But she was just in time to see Penelope in the hospital.
PhotobucketStill hooked up to machine’s to monitor her recovery. Stepping into the room, Caitlyn reminded herself to keep her negative energy at the door and only assert positive energy into her friends room. It was a technique that she used many times and felt it had worked before.
“How are we feeling?” Caitlyn asked, she saw an arrangement of colorful flowers perched up by Penelope’s bedside that she took a mental note to compliment her on. “Daphne told me the surgery went well. I’m so glad that you’re onto a speedy recovery Penelope.”
Penelope Wilkinson snarled. “I’d rather eat tacks than go through that again.”
“Well let us just pray that you don’t have to do either anytime soon.” Caitlyn sat next to her and held Penelope’s hand, she looked at the monitors as they connected to various parts of the older woman’s body. “Do you know when you start chemo?”
She shrugged, turning towards Caitlyn. “As soon as I am healthy enough! Can you kick me in the side so I don’t have to do it? I’d rather not be drained of my energy.”
Caitlyn smirked. Penelope wasn’t taking a page from her book about taking things as they were and moving on. But then Caitlyn didn’t think she would be any better than Penelope if she were in the same situation. “You have so many people praying for you Penelope.”
“I’m not going to die!” Penelope snapped, taking her hand back. “Tell me Caitlyn, how was Paris? Did you get to meet Anita Thurlow? That woman has quite some nerve, but don’t tell anyone I said anything! I’m sure she had some snobby words to say.”
“Anita is definitely her own person.” Caitlyn admitted. “But nothing too extreme. Either way, I don’t think there is anybody who could bring me down at this point. I’m excited for where my life is going. I think I am finally in a positive environment.”
“Good!” The older woman patted Caitlyn’s empty hand. “Don’t let anyone take your happiness from you Caitlyn. They will all try to do it, especially Helen Schmidt and that filthy ex. husband of yours. But don’t let them take it away from you.”
---
Our love. Our fights. Our friendships.
On Concrete Shelves.
Forever, they shall be remembered.
---
Scene Four:
Now Town.
Stone Creek Community College
Cassie Lakhani wanted to smack herself, she should have known that she would be late for class. Rushing down the hall, with her books in hand she slipped past a couple of other students. Most irritated with that fact that she had no consideration.
“Sorry!” She murmured, looking back at a guy who nearly fell back into a wall. But she didn’t have the time to stay and see if he was alright. Instead she kept running, hoping she could make the class in less than a minute. Running took most of her attention or she would have been able to stop herself from colliding with a guy who just turned the corner.
The impact wasn’t too disembodying. 
“I’m so sorry!” Cassie spoke. “I just do this thing where I don’t pay attention to where I am going when I’m in a hurry. I actually think it runs in the family, my mother used to bump into--Mac? What are you doing here?” She found herself embarrassed, ranting off to her former employers assistant.
PhotobucketMackenzie Kern chuckled, helping Cassie pick up her books. “This is a school, I plunged myself into debt so that I could come here and get plowed down by beautiful girls such as yourself.”
The two of them chuckled. “Again I’m really sorry.”
“Cassie, relax it’s quite fine. I’m the one who is sorry, I was reading my textbook and I didn’t look where I was going.” He responded, pointing out to his Literature Textbook. 
She smirked, awkwardly. But then she realized something. “Wait, I thought you were working for Marina’s mother at HEAT Magazine? Did she let you go too?”
“I thought you quit.”
“Well not the first time!” Cassie snipped, she sighed. “I’m fine now though. I think leaving my job as a Model was the best thing that I could have done. Now that I’m going to school I feel like I am doing better for myself and my son Lucian.”
“That’s good.” Mac replied, handing Cassie the rest of her books. “I’m really glad that you’re doing good for yourself Cassie. You were never like any of the other models. There was always something more about you. It’s inspiring, the troubles you’ve gone through.”
“Thanks.”
Mac smirked. “To answer your question she didn’t let me go, it was my own choice. I guess it was just time to move on and do something different. Didn’t know something different meant getting ambushed at Stone Creek Community College.”
“I said I was sorry.”
“I know, I’m just poking fun." Mac pulled her into a hug. "I hope you don’t mind I’m actually late for a class, but it was really nice seeing you again.”
“Same to you.” Cassie sparkled. “It’s refreshing to talk to someone who doesn’t scream and poop every couple of hours.” Her face turned red when she realized what she had said, stricken with embarassment they awkwardly said their goodbyes, leaving Cassie late for class.
[.....]
Scene Five:
Sage Garden’s.
Alice’s Haven Cafe.
Swinging the glass door open, Gillian Sutton, pulled her oversized sunglasses down to see that Adrian Stone was manning the facilities. She scowled at the realization that her brother would be late for their meeting. But that wasn’t grabbing her attention anymore.
Walking towards Adrian she smiled sweetly, trying to get a read on him. “I thought my sister-in-law rented the upstairs apartment to you. I might not be good with contracts, but I didn’t think working at her cafe was apart of the deal. Unless there’s another reason you’re here.”
Photobucket“No, it’s not.” Adrian replied, offering her a cup of coffee. But Gillian denied the cup, suspecting that he would do something sinister to it. “Kirsten needed help around the place while she was gone in Paris and since the shop hasn’t been giving me the hours, I was available to help.”
“Right.” Gillian rolled her eyes sitting on a stool at the counter. “Well you must be happy that she is coming back today so you don’t have to be a slave here.”
"Like I said, I was available to help.” He replied, eyeing Gillian.
 “I bet you were.”
“Is there a reason why you’re here Gillian?” Adrian asked, trying to get a read on the woman. “I didn’t think you were on speaking terms with the members of your family.”
Gillian furrowed her brow in anger. “Before Charlie came back to Stone Creek I know you had a past with Kirsten. I’m just making sure that you don’t try to bring that past back to the surface. As for my relationship with my family, that’s none of your business.”
“Neither is my relationship status.” Adrian leaned against the counter. “Which by the way, I’m dating Gail Schmidt again and she’s pregnant with my baby. So please, Gillian, lecture me about breaking up a family because you seem like the perfect person to do that.”
Gillian frowned. “I haven’t broken anyone up.”
“You’re estranged from your parents and barely talk to your brother, that is a broken family.” As the chimes to the store rang, the two looked to see Charlie and Megan walking into the store with Kirsten not far behind. “I think it’s time for me to go.”
“Congratulations.” Gillian strained, wishing there was more she could say to threaten Adrian.
[.....]
Scene Six:
Sutton Enterprises.
Patrick Sutton’s Office.
PhotobucketRubbing his index finger over her face in longing, Patrick Sutton, smiled as he looked down at the picture of Shannon Jurado that he carried in his wallet. He couldn’t even remember the last time they had talked to one another, but he knew it was long ago.
A knock at the door caused him to stir in his chair, placing the picture back in his wallet. Patrick seethed when Damien Crenshaw opened the door to his office an witnessed the man slipping his wallet back in his pocket. “What do you want today Damien?”
Damien Crenshaw smiled wickedly. “Well since I’ve already have your daughter’s hand for marriage I guess there’s only one more thing I could ask for.”
He slipped into a chair in front of Patrick.
“Humor me.”
“I want shares in the company.” Damien boldly stated. His posture not tampered by nerves, his eyes slithered across Patrick’s face in hopes to get a chill out of the guy. “I am, after all, your future son-in-law.”
Patrick scoffed at the idea as if he were asked by one of his children to do a cannibal in the lake. “I don’t even consider you family Damien. Why would it be in my best interest to give you any reign in this company anyways? You stole my daughter from me.”
“I stole nothing.” He argued.
Weighing the statement, Patrick shrugged. “Still, it would take a fool to let a con man into his company. But since you seem to have the balls to come out me head on I will give you this; prove me wrong. Give me a reason to hand over shares into this company to you.”
Damien sighed. “Like what.”
The older man leaned forward. “Leave this town and my daughter behind and I will give you shares to my company. I don’t trust you where Gillian is concerned. Get the hell out of this place and I will help you.”
“Why would you want me out of Stone Creek?” Damien asked, pondering. “I’ve caused disturbances to the Thurlow family for months now and I know they’re a family you’ve single-handedly wanted to destroy. I am all yours to use against them.”
Patrick thought about what Shannon would have wanted, taking a moment to look Damien and his offer over. But he shrugged it off. “I can take care of the Thurlow family on my own. I don’t need you slithering around this town to do so. Take my offer Crenshaw.”
Damien Crenshaw jumped up from his seat, and shook his head. “I’d rather stay in town and watch you crumble.” He spoke before letting himself out of the office and out of the building. With a deep sigh he grabbed his cell phone and dialed a number.
“We need to talk.” He spoke with a wicked smile.
[.....]
Scene Seven:
1507 Mango Ln., Stone Creek. “Hollyoak Manor”
Patrick & Charlene’s Home.
PhotobucketOpening the door to the house, Charlene Sutton, is shocked to find Kevin on the other end. She was on her way to meet with a couple of the other women of her social class to talk about getting a seat on the city board but the sudden appearance of Kevin was a distraction.
“What?” Her breath caught in her throat, she took a moment to compress her emotions. “If you’re looking for Patrick he is at the office. You’d have better luck checking there first, I’m on my way out and he’s never home.”
Pushing past him, she felt Kevin grab her arm and spin her around. “I’d rather you not touch me.”
“So this is how it’s going to be?” Kevin Saunders let go of her arm, lifting his hand to brush Charlene’s hair out of her face, in mid-air he pulled his hand back and rubbed his neck. “Is every meeting between the two of us going to be this awkward ball of emotions?”
“I don’t know if you’ve noticed Kevin, but I fell in love with you.” Charlene choked, she knew after their meeting she would be in dire need for a strong glass of wine. Instantly eager to get on her way to the lunch she was headed to. “I need to be with my family right now.”
Kevin Saunders sighed. “I found Melanie.”
Her heart sunk at the mention of his ex. wife. “Are you going to go back to her?”
“I’m thinking so.” Kevin responded, he wanted so much to pull Charlene into a hug and kiss her. But he knew it wouldn’t do any good. He had already tried to steal her away from Patrick once before and it didn’t work. She went crawling back to the man, like a trained dog.
“Good.” Charlene nodded, a tear rolled down her cheek. She turned away from him and continued on her way to her car.
“You will always be the one I love.” Kevin shouted out, this caused Charlene to stop in her tracks. He knew he struck a cord. “I promise you that Charlene. I might be running back to Melanie, but you are the one I will be thinking about at night.”
Kevin watched as she picked up her stride and walked off. He knew that she was crying now, it was in the way that she casually made her way to her car, that he knew her heart was breaking. The slam of her car door caused him to close his eyes.
There was no hope for them now.
[.....]
Scene Eight:
Sage Gardens
Stone Creek Veterinary Clinic.
PhotobucketSince the newspaper article came out, Ian Kiefer, had spent most of his time at the clinic trying to escape the chaos that has become his life. He had always wanted to have a complete family like his half-sister Natalie has had growing up. But now it didn’t even seem plausible.
Jared Marlowe had shunned Ian even more than he did when he thought Ian was just a crazed friend of Natalie’s. Now it seemed like the whole Marlowe family was avoiding him, Natalie as well. His work was all that he had left and Ian was glad that he quit the Gym and is full-time at the Clinic.
But the sound of the chime and the voice that followed was about to change everything. Walking out of the back room, he came face to face with Ryan Bauer
“I thought I’d find you hiding out here.” Ryan smirked, offering his presence as a spectacle.
Ian shook his head. “I’m not hiding, it’s my job to be here. But you wouldn’t know, would you? Ever since you got back into town you haven’t done much. Do you even have a job besides screwing up everyone else’s relationships?”
Ryan looked around. “I heard about you and Marina.”
“You caused it.” Ian seethed.
“How could you possibly prove that?” Ryan’s cocky attitude was enough to melt away any comfort Ian got out of his job. “I think right now you should focus on your family, you know, the ones who are trying to prove you as a fraud. Trying to get into their public limelight.”
“I’m not.”
Ryan shrugged. “It really doesn’t matter, Jared Marlowe’s life is about to come crashing down around him. You see, I know you think I ‘helped’ Marina with that article because I wanted her. But there is so much more to that then you know.”
Ian stiffened up.
“Relax.” Ryan passed. “Now that Jared Marlowe isn’t going to be running for Mayor of Stone Creek, you might get your wish of having a full-time daddy. As for Marina, she is following her dreams now! Because that article helped her career.”
Ian relaxed knowing that Ryan didn’t have the full story. Marina did get offered a promotion at work, but she turned it down. A fact that Ryan didn’t seem to know. He found solitude in the revelation and let Ryan go on with his taunting.
“Marina will be too busy with her career than to worry about you.”
“You’re wrong.” Ian injected.
But Ryan waved him off. “I have a date with your half-sister Natalie in a little bit. Did she tell you? We have finally found something to connect on. But I’m sure she didn’t tell you anything since she has probably taken her father’s side over yours.”
Ian gulped. He knew Ryan was probably right when it came to Natalie.
“Nice talking to you.” Ryan chuckled, turning on his heel to leave. “Oh Ian, be careful what you wish for and don’t try to mess with anything that belongs to me. Because in the end, I will win and you will be out in the cold. I’m a power player now and you’re just a veterinarian.”
[.....]
Scene Nine:
Sage Gardens
Shenanigan’s Night Club
Walking into the club always caused Cassie’s attention to spike up. Ever since she was drugged here months ago, she had never brought herself around to trusting the place. Once one of the workers told her that Clifton was indeed in his office, she made her way to greet him.
When her class let out early, she figured that paying Clifton a visit was on the top of her list. Marina would have Lucian for a little while longer anyways and wouldn’t mind.
“Cassie!” Clifton called out, getting from his seat and hugging her. “It’s really good to see you. Didn’t expect you coming into the club though. You’ve made it a mission to avoid the place as of late. Which I understand completely!” He smiled.
Cassie shrugged. “I just wanted to come by and see how you were. I had some free time before I had to get Lucian. How have you been?”
“I’m doing alright. With this economy I’ve been cutting staff hours here so that means I’m more of a bartender these days than a boss. I’m really sorry that I haven’t been around to see the two of you. I do miss my time with Lucian a lot.”
“And he misses you.”
Cassie thought back to her run-in with Mac Kern and how relieved she was to have a conversation with a normal human being besides Lucian and Marina. A smile crept on her face, but she shyly pushed it away, keeping her attention on Clifton. “I’ve missed you too.”
“Have you?” He jumped up at the thought. “I really need to see you two more.”
“Yeah.” She agreed. “Maybe tonight? Or even this weekend for dinner?”
Clifton shook his head grimly. “I can’t leave the office tonight with all this paperwork and the weekends are the worst times for me. I probably won’t even be eating much let alone have time for a dinner. We can re-schedule for another day?”
“Sure.” Cassie replied disappointed.
“Good!” Clifton returned to his paperwork and only found time to look back up at Cassie to ask her how Lucian was doing in the short days he had been absent from the boys life. The conversation was sparse if not awkward.
[.....]
Scene Ten:
Sage Gardens
Alice’s Haven Cafe.

Sipping on her diet coke, Gillian Sutton, watched as her niece played in a corner of the Cafe. She remembered when life was that simple. Although it was so simple living in the Sutton household, there was a time, if not a long time, when things were bliss.
“I thought you might want some fries.” Charlie spoke, interrupting his sister’s thoughts.
But Gillian pushed them away. “I’m trying to watch my weight, I hope you understand?”
Charlie just shrugged it off, grabbing the salt and ketchup. “How have you been Gillian, we haven’t really seen you around town. Especially after that psycho took you back to the Old Granger Manor after your stay in the hospital.”
“He isn’t crazy.” Gillian defended, “He was just worried about me.”
“He was worried about his investment.” Charlie slipped, taking a handful of fries into his mouth. Gillian knew there was going to be a lot of ground to make up with her family. So she let Charlie swing his opinion around. “Damien is only looking after himself.”
Gillian looked around the Cafe and then back at her brother. “What if he isn’t? What if Damien Crenshaw wanted to bring this family back together, would you forgive him?”
“I have nothing to forgive him for, he hasn’t done anything wrong to me.” Charlie admitted. “But I don’t trust the man Gillian. Who comes to town just to mess with their ex. wife’s head? I mean really, pretending that Abigail Jenkins was Danielle?”
Gillian flashed back to when her best friend left town because of Damien’s scheme. “That was a bit extreme, I know. But he was pitted against everyone by Caitlyn Thurlow when he came to town. Surely he made a mistake by lying about Danielle being alive.”
“Don’t defend that.” Charlie pleaded.
She sighed. “I have to because I honestly believe that he is a good man, deep down. Charlie I want to bring our family back together and the only way I know how to do that is for everyone to accept Damien as my future husband. I can’t have it any other way.”
“You need to think about what you are asking Gillian.”
Gillian folded her arms. “Don’t you want Patrick to accept Megan as his granddaughter?”
Charlie glanced at his daughter, playing with her dolls. “If anything, I want Megan to be around her family. But getting involved with Damien Crenshaw has to be a mistake, I don’t trust the guy as far as I can throw him.”
“That is the stupidest expression I’ve ever heard.” Gillian snapped. “I want to bring the family together, take the offer Charlie. Just accept Damien as a part of this family and show up at my wedding when it is time and I will help you get Megan back in the family.”
Taking a moment to think everything through, Charlie looked at his sister’s pleading eyes. “I’ll have to talk about this with Kirsten.”
“Of course.” Gillian beamed. “Take your time.”
[.....]
Scene Eleven:
Sage Gardens
James & Caitlyn’s Cottage.
Her conversation with Penelope Wilkinson gave Caitlyn a better understand of her position in her marriage. Caitlyn Thurlow was madly in love with her husband James. But the house was so lonely today, she had a brief visit with Marina and Lucian earlier, but even that was short lived.
The doorbell caught her off-guard.
PhotobucketHeading to answer it, she wrapped her night wrap around her night gown tightly. Immediately after answering the door she thanked god that she did. “I can’t believe you would come to my house while my husband is away. I think you should leave Damien.”
“Always expecting the worst.” Damien humored, his hands in his pocket.
Caitlyn leaned against the doorframe. “What do you want?”
“To start over.” He admitted, although it seemed like it was a speech he had practiced a hundred times. “I know that we have had a strained couple of months, especially after I lied to you about Danielle.”
The months of turmoil Caitlyn went through with believing that her daughter was alive and going by the name Abigail Jenkins was enough to bring tears to her eyes. But she wiped them clean and stared coldly at the man in front of her. “I will never forgive you for that.”
“You used to be a very forgiving person.”
“Don’t do that.” Caitlyn snapped. “Don’t try to bring me back into our past life together Damien because I won’t go back there with you. The people we were back then--I could never picture us being the same as we were back then. I have changed a lot and you aren’t even half the man you were when we first met.”
Damien lowered his head. “Do you remember what you said when we were having dinner with Abigail? How you said that you wanted to work at forgiving me and that you wanted to become friends?”
Caitlyn motioned to close the door, but Damien stopped her. “That dinner was a mistake and so was answering the door tonight.”
“Caitlyn.” Damien taunted.
The woman pulled the door open, pushed Damien back and slammed the door shut. “I’ll call the police! You know Gideon has been itching for a reason to arrest you Damien. Once James hears about this he will have your head! So just go!”
Caitlyn turned to face the door, peeking through the peep-hole to find nobody there. She let out a breath of relief and swung the door open once more. Although there was a part of her that always longed for Damien to return to the man he was years ago, she was glad that he listened to her tonight.
Closing the door she returned to her lonely home.
[.....]
Scene Twelve:
1507 Mango Ln., Stone Creek. “Hollyoak Manor”
Patrick & Charlene’s Home.
Charlene pulled the glass of wine close to her lips as she looked at a picture of herself and Kevin Saunders. It was from the day they both went to Cuttlebone Lake for a boat ride. She remembered how happy she was to have him in her life. Charlene then lit it on fire and watched it burn.
Tossing it into the wind and then entered the house to find her husband entering the Living Room. “How was work today?” She asked, placing a lighter on the table and re-filling her glass.
Patrick shrugged. “It could have been better. But that’s not up for discussion tonight.”
She smirked half-heartedly. “Then what is?”
“Let’s make love.” Patrick spoke, he walked over to Charlene and kissed her neck. This caused her to flashback to when she first made love with Kevin Saunders. A memory that she knew she needed more wine to force out of her mind. So Charlene gulped down the rest of her glass.
Looking at the bottle beside the table, Charlene broke free of her husband’s grasp. “How about you go get cleaned up and I’ll meet you in the bedroom in a bit?”
“How about you join me in the shower?” Patrick asked, riled up.
Charlene poured herself a glass of wine. “I have a couple things I need to sort out right now for the seat on the city council. Besides, I think it would be more romantic if we had sex on a bed and not up-against a glass door.” 
He shrugged, stomping away.
Looking back at the glass of wine and the bottle, Charlene figured it was best to pick up the bottle of wine and left the glass behind. This was going to be a night to forget. She needed something to protect her from her memories of Kevin now that he was gone.
Maybe the shade from Patrick’s empire would work, that and a whole bottle of wine.
[.....]
Next Time, On Concrete Shelves
  • Gail has to make a decision.
  • Helen extends an olive branch.
  • Cassie and Mac start to bond.
  • Natalie’s life starts to crumble...