Friday, September 16, 2011

Give Into Me


Previously, On Concrete Shelves
  • Aidan betrayed his family.
  • Miles was made a Detective at Stone Creek Police Department.
  • Marina’s article was published.
  • Ian’s true paternity was revealed...

[.....]
Photobucket
[.....]
Scene One:
Sage Garden’s
Alice’s Haven Cafe.
PhotobucketTaking a sip of her coffee, she had to admit that Adrian Stone could pull-off making it just as good as her sister, Kirsten Sutton, could. She decided that Kirsten made a great choice in asking Adrian to watch over the Cafe while she was gone. 
Marina took a deep breath as she started plotting out her day in her mind, thinking about how she needed to stop by work. Then she saw him walk into the Cafe and the hot coffee in her hands suddenly turned cold.
Jared Marlowe slinked into the Cafe, stepping passed Marina as if trying to ignore her and made his way to the counter to order his choice of coffee from Adrian Stone. It wasn’t like Jared would automatically be her best friend, especially after everything that he must have read.
The brunette turned to watch him collect his coffee and turn towards her. He didn’t have any time to re-direct his attention when Marina approached him and demanded a conversation. “This isn’t the time for this, especially not here.” Jared began.
But she wasn’t having it. Her coffee already pointless, finding it’s place on the nearest table. “There are a couple things we need to get straight, Mr. Marlowe.”
“There is nothing we need to get straight you little soundbite. Because of you and your pushy little attitude I have to sneak around this town until I can find the perfect excuse. Do you know how annoying it is to have to go out of my way to get coffee?”
“That is a minor inconvenience compared to what Ian Kiefer has had to go through.” Marina spoke, folding her arms at the pity she felt for Jared. “He has had to deal with the fact that you were his father for years and once you find out the truth, what? You ignore his existence?”
Jared gulped his coffee. “There is more to this than you have the brains to think about!”
“I’m sure there is.” Marina snapped.
Tinkering with his half-empty cup, Jared placed it in the nearest trashcan and looked back up at Marina, disgusted. “I’ve had enough of this bullshit and this shit coffee. No wonder why this place is far from Now Town. It’s dirt and since it has connections to you, then it all makes sense.”
Marina stepped in front of Jared Marlowe, not letting him leave. “If you care about this town as much as you say you do, you would realize that Alice’s Haven Cafe is a rare gem that belongs here. Just like my family belongs here in Stone Creek.”
“Just because you might be Mayor of Stone Creek does not give you the right to declare dirt from prestige.” She was tired of arguing, so instead of going on she grabbed her coffee, with renewed hope that it would relax her and turned from Jared.
Turning back only to address the pity she felt towards him. “Ian is a wonderful man and the sad thing is, he idolizes you. When I honestly think it should be the other way around.”
[.....]
Scene Two:
980 Cutler St., Stone Creek. Faustino Cottages # 10
Natalie & Amanda’s Cottage.
PhotobucketAlthough her best friend Amanda Tucker had told Natalie a million times that she looked fine and that her burns weren’t as noticeable as she had thought, looking at herself in the mirror was always so strange. She had spent most of her life relying on her looks to get her where she wanted to. But now, it seemed like her looks were in the past.
Helen Schmidt had already released Natalie from her contract at the agency. It was a gesture that tore the younger woman apart. 
When her parents moved her to Stone Creek she didn’t think that there would be anything here for her. These people were so different than Natalie had been. They relied on family and friends while Natalie Marlowe was different. Once she snagged herself a top position working at one of the most prestigious company’s in the county, things felt like they were falling into place.
Then she met Ryan Bauer and things seemed to heat up in her life. Although they never slept together she knew that once Natalie got Marina Thurlow out of the way it was due time for a relationship with Ryan. But now she had this hideous burn on her face and her plans were starting to unravel.
Her doorbell rang in the distance. It was the only thing that could distract her from her image in the mirror, she wouldn’t be expecting Amanda home for hours, since she was out doing a shoot for Helen. Natalie was jealous that her best friend was taking her place in the company.
But she tried to distract herself from her jealousy since the two were living together.
“Natalie! Are you home?” A voice asked from the front door.
She could vaguely make out the voice and panic emerged from her stomach. Natalie brushed her hair into her face to cover up the burn and searched the room for a top-hat to keep her hair in place. Rushing through the house, she looked at herself in the mirror before opening the door.
Natalie knew she looked ridiculous but it made her feel safe. “Ryan?” she asked, playing as if she hadn’t known it was him. “What are you doing here? I mean, I wasn’t expecting you at all.”
Ryan Bauer stood before her, he seemed different than when she last saw him and for some reason it turned her on. “I just had to see you.”
The words confused Natalie, but intrigued her at the same time. “Really?” She asked, perking up at the thought of Ryan Bauer having to see her. A small tinge of excitement showing on her face.
He shook his head. “Yeah, Natalie, I think we have a couple things in common and I wanted to come by and share them with you.” Stepping closer to her, he placed his right hand on her cheek. “I think it’s time that we finally gave into those urges.”
“I don’t know.” Natalie bemused, messing with the hair in her face.
But Ryan ignored her and kissed Natalie gently on the lips. He brushed her hair out of her face and looked her in the eyes. “I don’t care about your burn Natalie. I have spent months trying to get Marina back but I just realized that I have nothing in common with her and I have everything in common with you.”
“How so?” Natalie asked, enthralled in his charm.
Ryan pulled her into his arms and found his hands running down her back. “How about I show you instead?”
[.....]
Scene Three:
Paris, France
Airport
PhotobucketHugging her younger cousin goodbye, Kirsten Sutton, couldn’t help but think of how crazy the last couple of days turned out to be. First they headed to Paris to bury her aunt, Shannon, and then they end up finding out that Edward Rayburn killed her.
She looked at Aidan Jurado and smiled warmly. “If you need anything, just give us a call. I know the last couple of days have been rough on you especially after the whole Rayburn fiasco. Aidan, if you ever need anything you are always welcome in Stone Creek.”
“Thanks.” Aidan replied, sheepishly. “I just don’t know if running away from my problems is the best solution. Besides everything I have ever known is here in Paris even if I did screw it all up with my father. I don’t know if I could leave this place behind.”
Kirsten raised an eyebrow with concern. “You know that if things don’t work out with Thurlow-Jurado Overseas I can have a job lined up for you with Charlie. He agreed that if you need anything he would hire you on at The Lakeside Inn overseeing the territory.”
Her younger cousin snickered. “Like I was security at TJO? I don’t think that’s a good idea.”
“Not exactly security, but you would have a lot to do with how the place is run.” Charlie Sutton found his place next to his wife and patted Aidan’s shoulder. “It’s just an after thought.”
“I’ll give it some consideration.” Aidan responded, he looked back at where his father, Mathias was saying his goodbyes to the rest of the family. 
“Good!” Charlie added. “I can always use some extra hands out there, especially now with me trying to spend more time with my family.”
“Thank you guys for everything.”
Kirsten pulled her younger cousin into a hug, peering past him to see her cousin Imogene Jurado approaching a three of them with her hand wrapped around a man’s buff arm. Something about the man didn’t sit right with her. Ending the hug she acknowledged Imogene.
“I hope I’m not too late to say goodbye.” Imogene spoke, her voice perky and alert. She looked around at the three and then up at the man on her side. “I’m sure you guys remember Gavin, right? We had a run-in with him a couple years ago.”
Then it hit her. Of course this man’s presence stressed her out. Kirsten took a deep gulp as she looked at Charlie and held on tighter to his arm. “Right, well I think we should be headed out.” Everything in her wanted to tell Imogene that Gavin was a bad guy.
But she knew her younger cousin wouldn’t listen.
Instead Kirsten locked eyes with Gavin who had a cocky grin upon his face. A grin that shook her to her core.
---
Our love. Our fights. Our friendships.
On Concrete Shelves.
Forever, they shall be remembered.
---
Scene Four:
Now Town.
Stone Creek Ledger.
Marina Thurlow stepped into his office, she had spent her morning confronting Jared Marlowe which in turn made her shell out a couple dollars for another coffee. She wasn’t angry that she bumped into the man, she knew that eventually she would have to face him.
What hurt was the fact that Ian didn’t have anybody. 
Looking at Seth Keeler as he peered up from a pile of paperwork everything sank in. “You wanted to speak with me?” She asked, taking a seat in front of his desk.
Photobucket“Yeah, I actually have a couple of things I wanted to discuss with you.” He intertwined his fingers and looked straight through Marina. “After the conversation we had last time about the article that you wrote but didn’t submit, I just want to apologize for my actions.”
Marina shook her head. “It wasn’t your fault.”
The man agreed with a nod. “Either way I just wanted to tell you congratulations on the article. I know it wasn’t exactly what you wanted, but I have to admit it was very well written and the readers took a liking to knowing a little more about our Mayor.”
“I thought we weren’t a tabloid.”
“We’re not. But we do discuss cold hard facts and that article was all facts.” He handed her a paper and Marina froze when it was revealed that Ian was exactly Jared Marlowe’s son. Not wanting to look at it anymore, Marina handed the paper back.
“What did you want to talk to me about Mr. Keeler?” Marina asked, still confused as to why she was in his office reading over information that she had already knew was fact. Although it was nice to have it confirmed that Ian was really Jared’s son.
Seth leaned forward. “I want to promote you Marina. I think you deserve it, after all.”
“Promote me?”
“Starting immediately I want you to have your own writing and reporting team. There are a lot of things around this town that need to be acknowledged. Think of it as a street team with a little historical twist.” Seth seemed enthusiastic about his offer. “You will be the editor and the lone decision maker of the team.”
Marina took the information in, trying to figure out if the promotion was worth losing Ian. Because she knew that if she accepted Seth Keeler’s offer, then she would also be accepting full responsibility to isolating Ian and destroying the Marlowe family.
“What do you say?” Seth asked, his face falling when Marina looked conflicted. “Does that not sound good enough for you? I mean we can work something else out, maybe re-work the premise?”
“It’s not that.” Marina spoke, she grabbed her things and looked at Seth. “Mr. Keeler, I don’t really know what to say. Because taking this job could possibly jeopardize my personal relationship with the people in this town. I don’t know if I can do that.”
Seth sighed. “You mean Ian Kiefer?”
The very mention of his name caused Marina grief. “Can I just think about it?”
“Sure.” Seth replied, a bit annoyed. “Take all the time you need.”
“Thank you.” Lifting herself out of the chair, she headed for the door.
“Just remember Marina,” He spoke as she stood frozen by the door. “The key to being a great journalist is to take every chance possible. You have the potential to being a great journalist.”
[.....]
Scene Five:
Now Town.
Candle Light City Park
PhotobucketHanging up the phone, Greta Wilkinson peered out at the park to see where her brother and his girlfriend had run off to with Megan Sutton. It’s not that she didn’t appreciate both Bentley and Emily helping out with Megan for the day, especially since she was too worried about Miles not answering his phone. 
It’s just last time someone who was taking care of Megan found a way to lose her. Greta found them and smiled as Emily Roscoe was pushing Megan on the swings while her brother goofingly swung next to them. It was nice to see her brother in a relationship.
“You seem a million miles away.” Gail Schmidt spoke, watching as Greta turned to her, clutching her phone. “It also seems like that phone of yours is being punished for something it has done?”
Greta scoffed. “Yeah, it won’t let me get a hold of Miles.”
“I heard he was promoted to Detective.” Gail replied, she looked out to see Megan having the time of her life. “That must be an amazing thing having your boyfriend working side-by-side with your father?” Greta nodded. “But that means he isn’t around much anymore.”
“I don’t really want to talk about it.” Greta snapped, looking at her phone one more time before pocketing it. Cocking her head she hugged Gail. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t snap like that. I know we haven’t really been friends, especially after you’ve been back in town. It’s just I feel like I don’t deserve to be moping over all of this.”
Gail smirked. “That’s alright, I understand. I mean I’m the one who kept a pregnancy from my boyfriend... twice.” Greta looked at Gail concerned. “Adrian knows now! I told him a couple days ago that I’m pregnant and it feels so much better. We are really working towards something.”
“That’s good.” Greta sigh. “Not to be rude or anything, but why did you keep the secret from Adrian in the first place?”
The blond shrugged. “Because I was scared that I might lose the baby? I don’t really know it just seemed right at the time. After everything that happened with my first miscarriage I just didn’t know if Adrian would accept a second possible miscarriage.”
“You don’t have to talk about-”
“That’s okay, I’ve learned that it is good to talk. It has gotten myself through a lot of bad times and in the end it brought Adrian and myself back together.” Gail watched as Megan came running up to the two women. “Maybe you should talk to Miles about it and maybe it will make you feel better?”
“Did you see me?” Megan shouted, jumping into Greta’s arms.
The two women chuckled at the little girl, each with their own declaration. “Thanks Gail, for the talk. I think I will talk to Miles when I get a hold of him.”
Gail smiled, looking out at the park and holding her stomach. Someday soon she would be here with her child playing on the swings or the monkey bars. It was a moment that brought her nothing but bliss and made her want to hurry up and see Adrian.
[.....]
Scene Six:
980 Cutler St., Stone Creek. Faustino Cottages # 10
Natalie & Amanda’s Cottage.
PhotobucketSlipping his clothes on, Ryan Bauer, kissed Natalie on the head and watched as she buried it in the covers. It took them awhile to make it to the bed and he had to wander the living room in a shirt and his briefs before he found his jeans. Now he realized how awkward the expedition to undress each other really was.
Turning to see a nearly naked Natalie in the doorway he smirked. “I have to go take care of a few things. But I think it would only be right if we did this again? Maybe after dinner next time?”
Natalie brightened up. “That sounds like a plan to me!”
“Good.” Ryan buttoned his jeans and took a deep breath before exiting the house. Closing the door he immediately grabbed his phone out of his pocket and made his way to his car. Dialing Patrick Sutton’s number in the process. Three rings later, Patrick answered the phone.
“What is it now Bauer?”
Ryan chuckled. Looking at Natalie’s house before jumping into his car. “I just wanted to let you know that operation destroy the Marlowes is underway. I just left Natalie Marlowe’s house and she is under the impression that I want to be her snuggle buddy.”
He could hear Patrick chuckle in amusement on the other end. “I already demolished Jared Marlowe, you do know we don’t need to be messing with his daughter, right?”
“I just thought we might need extra leverage.”
“You just thought your dick might need extra leverage.” Patrick scoffed. “If this has anything to do with Ian Kiefer and the Thurlow you were sleeping with, keep me out of it. But I must admit, you remind me of myself at a younger age. Ready to tackle the next big project. I wish my own offspring had that tactic.”
Ryan could sense Patrick was brain storming about his children so he cut the conversation short. Buckling his seatbelt he looked at Natalie’s house once more. He was going to get everything he wanted soon enough. Once he forced Ian out of town, then the way to Marina’s heart would be a walk in the park.
Turning the ignition on, Ryan sped away.
[.....]
Scene Seven:
Paris, France
Thurlow-Jurado Overseas
PhotobucketAnita Thurlow watched from the corner of the room. She had her arms folded as she peered out at her son, James Thurlow, and her son-in-law, Mathias Jurado. After everything that happened after Shannon’s funeral, it seemed like all the secrets were flowing out.
Even though she never admitted it before, Anita never trusted Mathias. The moment he struck a deal with James and whisked her only daughter away from Stone Creek, Anita had her suspicions of the man and he was the main reason she moved to Paris.
She needed to keep an eye on him. But then he went behind her back and started to keep things from her and everyone else in the company. Including these rare diamonds. “They’re still unaccounted for.”
Mathias shot Anita a look of concern. “I have been doing my best to locate them Anita but my resources are limited at the moment. If I had more man-power then things would be different.”
“If you had more man-power things would be the same.” She narrowed her eyes. “You kept me in the dark about these diamonds when I specifically warned you not to keep anything from this family. If I gave you more man-power like you wanted years ago just think about the many ways you would have screwed up!”
“Mother-”
“No!” Anita snapped, she turned to her son. “I have had enough of playing things by ear. You said it yourself James, we need to get this company back on track and I think the only way to do that is to get everything out in the open. From what we know is that Mathias has managed to lose these rare diamonds that Shannon was looking for.”
James walked over to his mother and gave her a reassuring hug. “We need to work through this as a family. I have to return to Stone Creek soon so I am leaving you in charge of things here,” He then turned to Mathias. “I am leaving the both of you in charge here.”
Anita grumbled. “As long as there isn’t anymore secrets. I need to know why my daughter died for these darn diamonds. I need to know why my grandson has been extracted from this company. If that means I have to work with him, then so be it.”
“Good.” James spoke. “I’m going to go talk to Aidan now.”
“I already talked to him.” Mathias replied, hastily walking towards the door. “You’re not going to get anything else out of the boy. He already told us everything that he knows. Everything that he remembers at least. And with Edward Rayburn dead...”
James sighed. “We have no leads.”
“We need to track those diamonds, where they came from.” Anita said from behind the two. “We’ve been trying to figure out where the diamonds went. Maybe we should start looking into where they came from?”
[.....]
Scene Nine:
Now Town
Candle Light City Park
“Hey, Emily do you mind taking Megan to the car?” Bentley had his eyes glued to his sister as she packed up Megan’s things and handed them to Emily.
PhotobucketHe could tell Emily’s eyes locked on him, hoping everything was alright. But instead of prying, Emily Roscoe took the little girls hand and hefted the girls backpack over her shoulder. “Sure, we will just wait in the car until the two of you are ready.”
Bentley turned to his girlfriend. “Thanks.”
“No problem.”
Then the younger sibling walked over to Greta’s side and sighed. “You’ve been glued to your phone and after that conversation you had with Gail, you just seem deep in thought. What’s going on Greta? Is this about Miles?”
“If you want to know so badly, it’s about my jealousy of Miles.” Greta remarked, she shrugged her arms as she sat down at a bench. It was a statement Bentley knew Greta had never muttered, at least not out loud. So he sat next to her to let her explain.
Greta turned to Bentley. “At first it was because I was so worried about him being out there and then I thought it was because I was scared he wouldn’t be around the apartment much. But then when that didn’t make sense I realized it was because Miles is actually doing something.”
“So are you.”
“Not like him! Miles is out there living his dream and I am working as a Real Estate Agent for a company I cannot even stand. When I chose my career I thought I would have my own Agency by now and look where I am. Look what I have become.”
“You’ve become a very successful Agent Greta. When people need someone to sell their homes, they come to you first because you are the best in Stone Creek. You have become an amazingly strong woman. I’m the one that screws up Greta, you’re the one that keeps this family together.”
She smirked. “I do everything for everyone else, maybe it’s time for me to do something for myself.”
[.....]
Scene Ten:
Now Town.
Stone Creek Ledger.
Stepping out of the nearest coffee shop with a vegetarian sandwich and iced lemonade in her hands, Marina Thurlow proceeded to cross the street back to The Stone Creek Ledger when she spotted Ryan Bauer not too far from her. When the man noticed her, she gave him a confused grin and walked up him.
“What are you doing walking around town like this?” She asked, moving her food items around to give him a hug. Looking at her clock she noticed there was still time to talk to him and asked if he’d like to sit down somewhere and catch up.
“I can share my sandwich if you want, but there’s no meat in it.” Marina spoke up once the found a place to sit. “I’m trying this whole vegan thing to lose some weight.”
Ryan smirked, taking the piece he was offered. “You don’t need to lose weight Marina.”
She sighed, although flattered, Marina tried to steer the conversation in another direction. After everything that has happened with Ian she couldn’t afford to jump into any type of relationship with Ryan. “Fine then, I’m just trying a healthy alternative.”
“Alright.” He spoke, she could tell his eyes were glued to her.
“What are you doing around here?” Marina asked, she took a bite out of her sandwich and then a sip from her lemonade. “I know we never really got into deep conversation while we were hanging out writing the article. Did your source find it amusing how we single handedly destroyed the Marlowe family?”
Bitterness in her words.
“I’m really sorry Marina.” Ryan spoke.
But she shook it off. “You didn’t really hurt me as much as it did that family. Besides with everything that happened between myself and Ian it was only a matter of time before the truth was going to come out. I think it’s better that the secret isn’t hidden anymore.”
Ryan threw her a confused look. “What do you mean?”
“It’s just better that Ian being Jared’s son is now old news. When we were together it was the main thing that kept us at odds and although I don’t really know where we stand at least the dirty laundry is out of the way. Who knows, you might have helped make my relationship stronger with Ian. That is if he ever talks to me again!”
“You have always been a good journalist Marina, always put the story before everything else just like it deserves.” Ryan noted, finishing up the sandwich and rubbing his hands together. Marina handed Ryan a small, but useful napkin. “Wether Ian decides to come back to you is irrelevant now.”
“Why do you say that?” Marina asked, her brow furrowed as she sipped her lemonade.
He sighed. “This exposure is going to help you score better job opportunities now. If I know Marina Thurlow like I think I do, this is everything that she has always wanted.” 
Taking a moment to think over what Ryan had told her, Marina agreed that she had always tried to find a way to make it big as a Journalist. But she didn’t know if this was the type of Journalism that she wanted to do. She didn’t have time to think as Ryan yanked the lemonade out of her hands.
“Hey! Give that back.” She pouted.
Ryan chuckled. “Lemonade has too much sugar to be in the healthy category.”
“I said I was trying to be healthy, trying being the key word.” Marina shot him a look as he returned the cup to her hands. They both smiled at one another, teasingly. Knowing he was right, Marina decided to ditch the lemonade and stick to water from now on.
[.....]
Scene Eleven:
980 Cutler St., Stone Creek. Faustino Cottages # 10
Natalie & Amanda’s Cottage.
“Parents, what brings you here?” Natalie asked suspiciously as she let them in. Taking her father’s coat as he made his way to the kitchen where he attempted to search for an alcoholic drink that suited his case. Natalie turned back to her mother who seemed to irritated with the whole situation to pay any mind.
“What’s going on?”
Kelly Marlowe scoffed. “Your father really screwed us this time.”
“I did no such thing!” Jared roared as he found a bottle of cheap wine and opened it. “That little brat destroyed my campaign by writing that article.” He took a drink of the wine and then spit it out. “Is this the only garbage you have in this house?”
Natalie narrowed her eyes. “Since I just got out of the hospital not that long ago, the doctor advise me to stay away from mind altering substances. I’m pretty much on suicide watch daddy. That wine isn’t mine, it’s Amanda’s wine.” Natalie hastily replied.
“Who’s Amanda?” Kelly asked from behind the two.
“My roommate, the one who has been living here for months.” Natalie reminded them, but she dropped the subject when she knew they didn’t care. Instead she grabbed the bottle from her father, stuck the cork back in it and placed it in the fridge to chill.
“We need to talk about this article.” Jared snapped, abandoning the glass of wine. “We need to get our stories straight when they start interviewing me because I still have a shot at this. I went through everything with your mother already, we don’t know who Ian is!”
“That’s your story?” Natalie couldn’t believe her ears. “You can’t just do that dad. That article depicted detailed events with a lot of facts to back them up! If you go through trying to pass Ian off as a lie the press will eat it up! Besides, I can’t lie about Ian.”
It was time for her parents to shoot her a long hard glare. “I knew that Ian was my half-brother for a couple of years now. I found out about him in San Diego.”
“Are you fucking with me?” Jared shouted, he threw his arms up in defeat. “Is everyone around me just keeping all these fucking secrets just to stick it to me? Natalie nobody can know that you knew about this whole problem. That will ruin everything!”
“It really wouldn’t.” Kelly spoke up. “I mean look at the mess of things, what worse can happen?”
Jared glared at his wife, who just turned her head and placed her sunglasses on. It was her irritated look, she used her sunglasses to block everything out. “Can I just go wait in the car?”
“I’m not going to just forget about Ian!” Natalie cried.
This caught Jared’s attention, he could tell Natalie seemed to care for the kid. But this connection would ruin any kind of attempt he would have at repairing his campaign. “If you keep talking to Ian Kiefer then I will lose my position as Mayor of this shit city and you will lose the money to fix your face!”
Natalie pouted, folding her arms in defeat. She flashed back to when Ian comforted her when she finally revealed to him her burns. He didn’t turn his back to her like she has done recently after the article was published. Natalie knew she had to do something.
[.....]
Scene Twelve:
Paris, France
International Airport
“Uncle James, hold up!” Aidan Jurado huffed as he made his way through the airport. Once he noticed that James Thurlow turned around he slowed his pace down. Mostly to catch his breath as he had to move quick to catch up to the older man.
James put his suitcase to a halt. “What’s going on Aidan? I didn’t think anyone was going to be escorting me to the airport. I would have waited-”
“It’s not that.” Aidan responded, solemnly. “Before they left, Kirsten and Charlie offered me a position at The Lakeside Inn.”
“I’m aware of that.” James replied, he folded his arms. “Have you re-considered taking the job with Charlie? Its not as articulate of a position as TJO has given you in the past. But Charlie Sutton is a good man and I am proud to call him my son-in-law.”
Aidan took note of the compliment. “I want to know what you would do in my position.”
He could see his uncle getting ready for a long speech. The man frowned. “Well, first off I would have given more credit to my family in why they placed me in a position I didn’t care about. But we can’t wrong what we have done and I have forgiven your actions, although I don’t agree with them.”
“I”m really sorry for what I’ve done to the family.” Aidan admitted.
“Even still, it was a deep sacrifice.” James looked at his watch and knew he didn’t have much time before he had to board his plane. “You want to know what I would do in your position Aidan? I would follow my heart. Because that’s the only thing that will bring great rewards your way.”
“I don’t think I’ve followed that in awhile.” Aidan muttered.
James place a hand on his nephew’s shoulder. “You can’t re-write history Aidan. But this opportunity in Stone Creek could be a second chance for you if you are willing to take the opportunity to heart and dedicate yourself in repairing the trust of this family.”
“So you would take the job?”
He chuckled. “Follow your heart.”
[.....]
Scene Thirteen:
Now Town
Stone Creek Police Department
PhotobucketMiles Fowler picked up his phone and realized he had three missed calls from his girlfriend Greta. It made his heart sink to the pit of his stomach. With all the work he had been doing at the office he didn’t have the time to talk to Greta, he even felt bad that he couldn’t help her take care of Megan.
“Hey, Greta I’m sorry I couldn’t get to my phone.” He spoke after she picked up her line. Miles went to close the door to his office and sat behind his desk. He smiled when she made an excuse for him. “It’s my fault, don’t make any excuses. How are you?”
He could hear her shuffling around and imagined she might be in the office herself. “I’m alright. I took Megan to the park earlier before work. She loved it Miles, you should have seen her. I forgot how energetic children where though. I can’t get my mind to concentrate over here.”
“You're at the office?”
“Yeah. I came in to close a couple deals.” Great responded, a distance in her voice. “I was calling you earlier because there is actually something that I wanted to talk to you about Miles. It was a conversation I would rather have at home but I don’t know when I’ll see you next.”
Miles sighed, he knew she was blaming him for his absence. “I’m sorry about that Greta. You know that I love you more than anything in the world, right? If you want I can step down from Detective, if it means that much to you I would do it.”
He watched as someone walked by his office, alerted to the fact that they might barge in at any moment to pull him into a case they were working on. “Are you alright Greta?”
“I think we need our space Miles. I’ve been so focused on when you are coming home from work that I sort of lost myself. It’s not your fault Miles, I want you to know that. I still love you.” She sighed, he could tell it was hard for her to say the next words. “I just feel like I lost sight of my goals to help you with yours.”
“I never told you to give up on your dreams Greta.” Miles shot back, he lowered his voice. “I didn’t mean it like that. I know you didn’t mean it in a bad way either. I just don’t see why we have to take a break so that you can pursue your goals.”
“I’m going to be staying with my parents.” Greta responded, “At least for a little while. Until I figure out what I want to do and then maybe we can discuss where we go from there?”
Miles loosened his tie so he could swallow the bitter pill he had been dealt. “Do I even get a say in this? Because if I do I think this sort of sucks Greta. You can’t ask me to let you go and live with your parents while you figure yourself out. I love you!”
“It’s not about our love Miles.”
“Well it sure feels like it!” Miles spat, he looked at the picture of Greta he framed and placed on his desk. “I don’t know where this is coming from or where we go from here. Just know that I will support you in whatever you do. Whether I like the decision or not.”


“I love you.” Greta cried.
With a sour look on his face, Miles truly hoped she did. “I’ll help you pack somethings tonight.”
[.....]
Scene Fourteen:
2121 Mason St., Stone Creek. Hoffman Village Apartment #34 
Ian Kiefer’s Apartment
PhotobucketIt was nearly midnight and someone was knocking at his door. It wasn’t the most decent hour of the night so Ian Kiefer figured he would just deal with the intruder as quick as possible. He didn’t even bother to put pants on, which he regretted once he opened the door to find Marina Thurlow on the other end.
“What are you doing here?” Ian asked, looking down at his attire and then back at his ex. girlfriend. “Do you even know how late it is Marina? But I’m sure you known that, being a reporter and all. You know everything!”
She grumbled. “I deserve that.”
Ian wanted so badly to let her in his apartment and wrap his arms around her. But whenever he saw her face, it reminded him of how badly she broke his trust by writing the article. Even though she didn’t submit it, Marina still wrote it.
“I think you should leave.” He spoke, as calmly as possible.
“We need to talk Ian, about everything that happened between us.” Marina told him, she placed a hand on the door in hopes that if he slammed it on her face, she would have enough grip to make it hurt less. “I was offered a promotion at work but I couldn’t take it.”
“Why not?” Ian asked.
She shrugged. “Because I knew by taking the promotion it would only hurt what ever chance we had at working things out. I know I am jeopardizing my career by not accepting this promotion but I can’t stan hurting you Ian. I don’t always think straight-”
“No, you think about yourself.” Ian inserted.
Marina agreed, begrudgingly. “This time I am thinking about us. Whether you are on the same level as I am Ian, I can’t help but think about you. I miss you and am deeply sorry that I hurt you in the worst way possible.”
“You know I will always care about you Marina.” Ian responded, he let down his guard with a dash of a smile. “Not having you around has made me realize how much you have truly meant to me. I just don’t know where we go from here and that is what is scary.”
The brunette stepped closer to Ian. “How about we just start over and try to gain back each other’s trust?”
“Well you have a lot of work to do.” Ian admitted, he sighed. “But I do miss being around you and having someone to confide in.”
Cassie doesn’t like to play cowboys and indians with myself and Lucian like you do.” Marina giggled as she realized the smallest details of their relationship. “I get a whiff of your cologne at our apartment sometimes and I can’t stop from thinking about-”
Her words are interrupted by Ian’s lips which is a welcomed alternative to the otherwise cold vibe. Stepping back after the short but sweet kiss she can’t help but smile at the thought. Ian just might be ready to continue their relationship. “So what does this mean?”
“I just needed a reason to fight for us.” Ian replied, he stepped back from her with a small but quick smile. “Goodnight Marina.” He spoke before closing the door and leaving the girl alone in the hallway to ponder the mystery in his comment.
Either way it was a step in the right direction, she thought.
[.....]
Next Time, On Concrete Shelves
  • Patrick gets an unwanted visitor with an agenda
  • Ryan starts digging into Ian’s mind.
  • Cassie makes a new friend.
  • Kevin makes a promise to Charlene...