Friday, October 5, 2012

On A Lonely Night

Previously, On Concrete Shelves
  • Greta Wilkinson was kidnapped.
  • Marina Thurlow found Ian Kiefer’s apartment empty.
  • Sutton Enterprises was overtaken by Gillian Sutton.
  • Miles Fowler was taken off Emily Roscoe’s case...

[.....]

OnALonelyNight_zpse28c5375

[.....]

Scene One:
Somewhere in Stone Creek
Fourteen hours into the future

When the woman bent down her body ached in pain. Her dark hair fell over her shoulders as she tilted her head down and began to sob heavily. It seemed like mere seconds ago everything was going to be alright. The day had turned to night without regards to letting her know. She pounded on his chest and weeped violently.

“Don’t you die on me!” Her words burned her bruised throat.

The distant sounds of sirens alerted to a savior; but would they be here in time? How long did one have until the human body just gave up? And would there even be enough time to lift him into the ambulance and drive to the hospital? She leaned down to hear his heart beat. It was weak. But it was still there. They had a fighting chance.

She looked up and shriek in agony. “Somebody! Please! Please!”

[.....]

Scene Two:
2634 W. Parker St., Stone Creek. [Callahan Condo’s #12] 
Miles Fowler & Greta Wilkinson’s Home

PhotobucketHe stood in front of the vanity mirror in their room and lifted his shirt up and over his head. Looking at himself in the mirror Miles Fowler could see the bruises from not only the gun bullet -- but also from his surgery and the days he spent in ICU -- had already started to disappear. The morning sun light shone into their bedroom and brightened up the yellow and baby blue hues of their bedroom.
But it still felt so empty ever since his fiance’s disappearance. This was another reason why he couldn’t spend much time wasting around at home. Even though his future father-in-law had asked him to. Miles had always looked up to Chief Wilkinson as a positive role model and up until Greta’s disappearance he had followed through with everything Gideon had asked of him. Today he was going to stop the continued cycle.

PhotobucketLifting a picture of himself and Greta off the Vanity in front of him, Miles grinned. They both looked so happy. The picture was taken during Christmas of 2011. How he remembered her laughter as the family gathered together that day. Miles smiled warmly and yet he was still feeling as if his emotions were betraying him.

Miles gathered his things from the bedroom and made his way to the hallway. Where had she gone? He looked around at their condo together; the living room filled with browns and oranges, his guitar sat in a corner which he had left untouched since Greta serenaded him during his stay at the hospital after he woke up from his coma. He couldn’t bring himself to play it while she was missing. It just didn’t feel right.

“Lets find you today.” He reached the living room door and turned one last time towards his guitar before he headed out of the house and to his car where he would wined up at the Stone Creek Police Station to talk to Chief Wilkinson about the case.

[.....]

PhotobucketScene Three:
1509 Mango Ln., Stone Creek. [Briggs Home]
Clifton Briggs, Cassie & Lucian Lakhani’s Home

PhotobucketAlthough it wasn’t the first time that Marina had stepped foot in the mighty home that was owned by Clifton Briggs, she still felt like there were spots to the house that nobody had explored. Like she needed a map and a couple days to explore the entirety of the palace. Each room was nicely modeled with a modern finish and the lights enlightened the rooms to show only the most divine of designs.
She found a seat in the first living room and reached her hands out for the cup of water that her best friend had brought her. Marina made a note only to accept water just in case she had spilt it, she wouldn’t owe Clifton her unborn child in exchange for the damage.

“Why did you go to see Ian in the first place?” Cassie Lakhani asked; cutting straight to the chase. Marina looked up at her best friend and noticed the expensive black stone necklace around her neck, the white flowing blouse that she wore and the snug fitted black jeans.

Marina arched an eyebrow. “Is Clifton bribing you now?”

“What?” Cassie looked down at her outfit. “Marina, you know it’s not like that. He was just being generous and bought me a couple outfits -- without my consent. You know I wouldn’t take a bribe from anybody. Now stop dodging the subject and tell me why you went to see Ian Kiefer!”

“I had a moment of weakness,” She chalked it up to that. Placing her cup of water on a wooden coaster and turning her attention back to Cassie. “I was having a little trouble at work and I just needed someone to talk to. Then I started to think about Ian and it just escalated from there... I had a moment of weakness.”

Cassie frowned. “What trouble at work?”

“Nothing.” Marina said; she stiffened her posture and cleared her throat. “Just a couple of things that my boss wanted me to get done before a deadline. You know how stressful journalism can be. Deadlines are always around the corner... it was nothing.”

Photobucket“Are you sure? It seems like there would be more to this.” Cassie speculated.

But Marina waved her off the subject, instead letting Clifton Briggs interject into their conversation with his announcement of heading out for a meeting. “Clifton. It’s nice to see you! Where are you going? What kind of meeting?” She asked. Easing her mind away from the topic of work and Olivia Joplin.

He stopped and looked between both women, deciding wether he should bite or not. A quick smile; he straightened his posture and stepped over to them, closing the front door. “I’m surprised you didn’t catch the announcement the other day. Damien Crenshaw presented me with a chair on the City Council to the public. There’s a meeting I have to go to right now, however.”

“That’s exciting!” Marina said. “Congratulations.”

“Thank you.” Clifton turned to Cassie. “I will probably be home later, if you’d like dinner I can pick something up on the way home. Just give me a call or a text and I’ll pick-up whatever you want.” He said his goodbyes to their guest and headed back towards the door.

Once he was out of earshot, Marina’s eyes bulged. “Are you serious! Clifton Briggs is doing business with Damien Crenshaw? Do you understand how bad that sounds?”

“I already talked it over with him.” Cassie replied; she narrowed her eyes. “So now tell me why exactly are you lying to me? I don’t know what is stressing you out Marina. But I know you way in the hell better than you know yourself. So spit it out!”

Marina shifted in her seat.

[.....]

Scene Four:
Now Town; Harper Smites
Deborah Nelson’s Office.

PhotobucketWhen her daughter Laurie was younger, Deborah had walked in on her finding files that Deborah had collected from a private investigator. The files had been on a background check that Deborah had asked for. Not only was she mad at Laurie for snooping in her files. But she was also angry with herself because the background check was on her husband, Frank.

So Deborah had swore to herself and Laurie that she would never hire another private investigator to find information on her husband again. Until now. She had arrived early to the office, although she was one to always beat her assistant to the office. Today she was able to greet the overnight cleaning crew. If there was one thing she learned today it was that Ernesto didn’t like to be snuck-up on.

Her attention shifted to the fax machine as it printed up the file she had been waiting for. Deborah wheeled herself over to the machine and pulled the paper out, then wheeled back to her desk and leaned back. Reading the paper. Her eyes became enthralled with new information. Deborah shifted her weight around, leaning forward and dropping the paper onto her desk. There were no records of Frank in Paris. 

“What the hell is going on here?” She asked. 

If there were no signs of her husband being in Paris. Then that had meant he could have still been in Stone Creek and hiding away from Deborah at that. But why would he lie to her when he was trying to win Deborah back after Lucy Hahn had revealed that Sebastian was his child. Why would James Thurlow tell Deborah that Frank was in Paris doing business for Thurlow Enterprises?

Was he trying to cover something up? And did it involve Lucy Hahn? Deborah cursed herself for ever trusting Frank Nelson again. She looked back down at the paper and frowned. There was obviously way more to the story than either man was letting on and she needed to get to the bottom of things.

There was no way for her to move on until this whole mess was laid to rest.

[.....]

Photobucket

[.....]

PhotobucketScene Five:
Now Town; Thurlow Lumber Mill Enterprises
James Thurlow’s Office

“That assistant of mine told me that you wanted to see me.” Frank Nelson spoke. He leaned against the door frame of his friend’s office and smirked. “So what’s going on boss? Where you able to find that new financial assistant that you wanted to hire to help?” 

There was a tone that James Thurlow hadn’t recognized out of Frank’s mouth. But he brushed it off. “I did find him, yes. I just wanted to run a few things through you first though. Frank I want you to know that I’m not hiring this man because I feel that you can’t handle this all on your own. I know that you can. I have complete trust in you. It’s just that after your little fiasco with Lucy-”

Photobucket“Can we not say her name.” Frank winced.

“Right.” James sighed. He waved his friend into the room and waited until Frank took a seat at his desk. “I just want to secure Thurlow Enterprise and make sure that in either your absence -- or the new financial assistant’s absence -- we can move forward as a company and not fall behind.”

Frank nodded. “I understand. Just don’t get mad if I take it so personally.” He shifted in his seat. “I didn’t ask for that little minx to kidnap me you know? But while you tell me that you’re doing it for the companies best interest it just feels like its a personal attack.”

“Don’t take it that way.”

“I’m going to.” Frank shrugged.

James sighed. He clapped his hands together and looked at Frank. “I want you to help train the new guy as soon as we hire him on. I don’t trust anyone else as much as I trust you. After all, you’re the only one around here that knows the financial factors of this company.”

“Your son knows some of it.”

“But my son is a lawyer. He isn’t my CFO.” James reminded Frank.

Frank agreed. “So tell me, when do I get to meet this fresh face you’ve so kindly sewed to my backside?”

Photobucket“After I approach him with the job offer.” James mused. “His names is Reichen Calbourne and from what I understand he has been in your sister’s orbit over the last couple of months. He is fully qualified to help assist you with the financial state of this company. I rest assure you that once he is on-board with our company things will be easier on you, Frank. You’ll be able to spend more time with Deborah.”

“Spending more time with Deborah would be nice.” He admitted.

James nodded. “I should have thought of this years ago. Putting less stress on your shoulders would open up so many more possibilities for yourself and Thurlow Enterprises.” Although Frank knew where James was going with the subject, he couldn’t help but still feel like he was being scolded for disappearing. “My only wish is for you to refortify your marriage to your wife.” James added.

“Reichen Calbourne?” Frank asked. Noting how oblivious he had been to his sister’s personal life after she divorced Patrick Sutton. It amused him that Charlene was now free of Patrick after they worked so hard to secure her the money and power the Sutton family would provide her with.

Frank stared at James. “This shall be fun, I’m sure.”

[.....]

Scene Six:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens
Gladys’ Bistro; Inside

PhotobucketCharlene took a bite out of her food and then looked up at her companion. They had been spending a lot more time together and between babysitting her granddaughter Megan and the meetings she had been going to, it was really nice to just sit down for a meal with a man that made her laugh. It had been months since anyone had done that. Especially after Kevin Saunders left town.

She frowned. 
“What’s wrong?” Reichen Calbourne asked; he put his fork down and looked at Charlene with concern. “Don’t tell me that after weeks of eating here you’ve finally grown tired of it.” He leaned in with a smile. “I don’t really have the money for a more expensive place.” 

The joke was enough to make Charlene smile once again. “It’s nothing. I was just thinking back to when a time I smiled or even laughed this much with anybody.” She decided to not bring up Kevin’s name around Reichen. At least not talk about her affair with him just yet. It was one thing to bring it up at the AA meetings, but another thing to actually say it out loud outside of the trusted group she had dubbed her second family.

Photobucket“When was that?” Reichen asked.

Charlene shrugged. “Before my parents died?”

They both fell silent, as if to honor their deaths. “When we were younger -- my brother and I -- we used to play this game where we would hide in the basement of my parents old victorian home. There was a hidden passage way. Most the houses on the block had them. But we pretended that we were the only ones who knew about the one in ours.” She went on with a smile on her face.

“We would hide there until our mother would come down to find us. And she would pretend that she didn’t know where we were. Calling out to us and pretending to weep for her missing children.” There was a sadness in Charlene’s voice that overcame her. She gulped. “Eventually we would jump out and yell, ‘Here we are! Here we are!’ and she would tell us that she could never live without us.”

“She sounded like she was a wonderful woman.” Reichen said.

PhotobucketCharlene raised her eyebrows. “She made due. We were never the richest children around, the house that we lived in was passed down from one generation to another. It was a sore reminder of the prestige my family once had here in Stone Creek. I remember the day they sold the house to put my brother through college.”

He reached across the table and took one of Charlene’s hands.

“My father instilled this passion in us that we needed power and wealth to be happy.” She admitted. “But it was my mother that reminded us that all we needed was family, to be happy, and that we needed to stick by one another. She was a beautiful soul. When she died I couldn’t think for weeks. My mind, it just shut off.”

Charlene looked up quickly. “I never told that to anybody before.”

“And I will never tell it to anybody either.” He smirked. “Finish your food before it gets cold. Don’t worry about never laughing again. You’ve got a loving family around you and you have me. As much as you think I’ve made a positive influence on your life. You’ve done the same to mine just as well.”

[.....]

PhotobucketScene Seven:
Stone Creek; Now Town
Stone Creek Police Station; 1st Floor

“Detective, what are you doing here?” Chief Gideon Wilkinson asked as he was approached by the younger man. He briefly deliberated with a couple officer before he allowed Miles his attention. “Follow me to my office? We can speak in there if you want to talk.”

Miles nodded his head in agreement and followed suit. “I just wanted to come by to ask that if you don’t let me on Emily Roscoe’s case to at least consider putting me on Greta’s. She’s my fiance and I can’t just sit at home and wait for news of her finding.”

“I can’t do that, I’m afraid.” Gideon said.

But Miles wouldn’t let up. He sat down at Gideon’s desk and shook his head. “I can’t stay home. Everywhere I look I think about her. You told me to stay home and wait for any news. But when I try to do that all I think about is Greta and how she should be home with me right now! It’s driving me crazy Chief... It’s literally driving me insane!”

PhotobucketGideon peered out his office window. He looked around the station before shutting his blinds and making his way over to the door to his office and shutting that as well. Then he turned to look at Miles Fowler and how miserable an fatigued he had looked. “Detective even if I let you on the case it would still be conflicting for you. She’s your fiance and that means you are too emotionally involved. What happens if we get a bad lead and you just snap-”

“Do you think I would?” Miles asked, shocked.

“We don’t know yet.” Gideon sighed. 

“Then give me the chance to prove to you that I’m alright.” The younger man begged, he turned to face Gideon as he walked around his desk and sat down. “I should have been there for her Chief. There was one thing I was supposed to protect and it was her. I failed not only myself, but I failed her... I failed your entire family.”

“Don’t be so hard on yourself, kid.” 

Miles put his hands in the air. “These are the things that I think about when I’m home alone. I look at my guitar and I think about her. How she was starting to get better at playing it and how she would play me the same damned song, over and over again but I didn’t mind. None of it bothered me because I am in love with your daughter and I need her back to tell her that.”
“This is what I mean by too involved.” Gideon leaned forward. “Your head isn’t set right.”

He gulped. “Then at least can I listen in on some of the meetings. Don’t put me on the case, fine, just file me under something else other than medically unable to return to work.”

“So this is about me asking you take a leave of absence.”

“This is about Greta.” Miles spoke. He had been angry at Gideon for telling him to take a leave, yes. After Gideon had chewed him out about not being able to keep Greta out of harms way, Miles had went home and threw a fit. He was so angry. But now with his mind clear he knew it was always about Greta.

Gideon locked eyes with the younger man, letting his defense fall. “You can look at the evidence and the leads. But Miles, you only have them for today. When I told you to take a leave of absence I meant it. Do you not understand that you just woke up from a coma not too long ago? My wife advised you to get some rest-”

“I will,” Miles cut-off.

“When Greta is found.” Gideon finished. “I know.”

[.....]

PhotobucketScene Eight:
1509 Mango Ln., Stone Creek. [Briggs Home]
Clifton Briggs, Cassie & Lucian Lakhani’s Home

“It’s about Ryan.” Marina lied; she folded her arms close to her body and turned her head away from her friend. There was no way she could look at Cassie and tell her a lie. She would no for sure that Marina wasn’t telling the truth just by looking at her. She cursed herself for letting Cassie become so close to her. But at the same time welcomed the friendship.

Besides it wasn’t as if she were completely lying. A part of Marina did feel like her recent stress was about Ryan. Most of it had to do with Olivia Joplin and their undercover project, some had to do with Ian leaving Stone Creek. A part had to do with Ryan.
She turned back to Cassie. “I think I still have feelings for Ryan.”

“Cut me a break.” Cassie mumbled. “Do you ever listen to yourself Marina? I love you, you are my best friend but because you are my best friend I have to admit to you that you’ve become so wishy-washy with your feelings towards Ryan and Ian. I don’t know which feelings are real anymore. If both are.”

Marina looked hurt. “Cassie-”

“No.” Her friend responded. “If all this stress is because you think you have feelings for Ryan, that is fine. Then you can just deal with those feelings and either move on with him or move on without him. But Marina, not even an hour ago you were telling me that you had to see Ian because the stress was too much for you.”
Photobucket
“It was.”

Cassie pursed her lips. “Do you understand what that means? Obviously you still have feeling for Ian if you having to see him was the first thing you could do when faced with a problem. Then seeing his apartment empty. I don’t think you’re over him yet. Which is fine. But you can’t go back to Ryan until you’ve dealt with your feelings for Ian first... You just can’t.”

“Okay.” Marina replied, with annoyance. “I’m going to see myself out.”

“See yourself out?” Cassie asked, confused.

“Yes,” the dark haired woman rose to her feet. She grabbed her bag and looked down at her friend. “That’s what people say when they’re mad at their best friends, isn’t it? I’ll just see myself out and talk to you another day when you haven’t already written my life out for me!”

Cassie scoffed. “You can’t be mad at me for telling the truth!”

Marina turned on her heel. “I’m leaving now!”

[.....]

Scene Nine:
Stone Creek; Now Town
Sutton Enterprises; Gillian Sutton’s Office

PhotobucketA knock at her office door tore Gillian Sutton away from her paperwork. “Daddy,” she greeted her visitor with a smile. She waived her father into the office with her heavily accessorized right hand. “What brings you by my office today? If you want we can take a lunch. I wasn’t planning one until much later but we haven’t really spent time with one another lately.”

Patrick smirks at the thought of spending time with his daughter. It was true they hadn’t spent time together. He remembered when she was younger and Patrick would take Gillian on his business trips with him. How hurt he was when he threw Gillian out of the Granger Manor for disobeying him and getting engaged to Damien Crenshaw. Their past seemed littered with time not spent together now.

But he didn’t come to spend time with her today. “Can we talk?”

“Sure.” Gillian replied; she leaned forward and placed her paperwork to the side. “I hope this isn’t something to do with business I was really hoping to just push that to the side while I’m taking a break. It all just starts to sound like on big elephant in the room after awhile.”

“Yeah,” Patrick sympathized with her, “it doesn’t get any easier.”

“Well thanks!” Gillian chuckled, showing a face of alarm. She watched her father skate around why he wanted to meet with her. She contemplated asking him to spit it out, but knew it wasn’t easy for Patrick Sutton to be at a loss of words. So she didn’t want to frighten him off.

So instead they sat in silence.

“I heard about the press release with your husband -- Mr. Mayor of Stone Creek -- the other day.” Patrick spoke up. “I’m glad that they are looking for the Wilkinson girl. But did he have to use that as a platform to introduce his new City Council member? I didn’t even catch the guys name, I turned off the news this morning. I know Damien is now your husband, but Gillian, that’s pretty much him tooting his own-”
Photobucket“You would have done the same thing.” Gillian snipped, she rested her hands on her desk. “Don’t tell me that you wouldn’t have taken that opportunity to toot your own horn as well, daddy. What Damien did, letting the public know about Great being missing, it was a great thing. So I say, let him toot away.”

“Did you mean what you said?.. You know, when you announced that you were seizing Sutton Enterprises...” Patrick gulped, feeling defeated by his own daughter. “Did you mean that you were trying to save SE from Damien’s clutches? Because if you did-”

“Does every conversation have to be about him?”

Patrick sat up straight. “I can’t help my ego.”

“You certainly can’t.” Gillian’s eyes narrowed. “SE is in the hands of a Sutton and I think you should be proud of me for that. I’m sorry that you couldn’t keep the company, daddy. But did you not notice that you were too busy chasing after being Mayor of Stone Creek. Did you notice realize that you left this company completely vulnerable? You’re lucky I was able to obtain it!”

Photobucket“I’m proud of you for that.”

“Thank you.” Gillian mouthed. “I’m just doing what you taught me. I’m sorry I couldn’t be your pretty little puppet like you had wanted me to be... This family needs this company to survive so I don’t think I should have to explain where my loyalties lie.”

She watched as her father vacated his seat across from her. “I understand darling. I’m very proud of you for doing what you had to do for our family. That takes a lot of brass that has been lacking around here and I applaud you for that...” He scooted the chair in. “and for the record, I never wanted you to be a pretty little puppet.”

“Don’t do that.”

“Fine. But remember darling, you’re a Sutton. One day you’re going to have to remember that Sutton’s don’t mix well with their enemies and Damien Crenshaw is an enemy -- you’ve said it yourself. There’s going to be a day when you have to pick a side and I’ll be damned if I let you pick his.”

[.....]

Scene Ten:
505 Auburn Rd., Stone Creek [Thurlow Cottage]
James & Caitlyn Thurlow

PhotobucketThe bright sun of September had already added into Deborah Nelson’s horrible mood. As she parked her car and climbed out the walk to the Thurlow’s front door seemed to go on forever as her feet became heavy with dread. Had she really stooped this low to interrogate a woman in mourning. Because she knew her husband’s work schedule; she knew James Thurlow’s as well and that meant Caitlyn would be home alone.

She rung the doorbell. 
Then again. The way that Caitlyn had been so badly damaged by Damien Crenshaw’s lies Deborah bet a pretty penny that the woman would be willing to help her get to the bottom of things. Maybe she didn’t have to throw her moral compass out and badger the truth out of her. Deborah brought her index finger to the doorbell once again and waited a total of three second before bringing it down on the buzzer.

Deborah looked around the yard; from the front steps she could see that the gardener had been here already this morning. The smell of freshly cut grassed had filled her nostrils; they flared at the disgusting smell. The hedges of the dark in hue green bushes trimmed to line up with the bottom edge of the living room window and if Deborah could only peer through it to see if anyone was coming -- if anyone was even home -- this process of waiting for Caitlyn would go by faster.

Her finger found it’s rightful --yet repetitive -- place back on the buzzer for a third time. But the door swung open even before she could press all the way down and Deborah was left to smile in surprise at Caitlyn Thurlow. “Good Morning!” The words exited her mouth in a conjunction of syllables.

Photobucket“Wh- what,” Caitlyn looked at Deborah in confusion. “Was there something you needed Deborah?”

The short hair woman straightened out her blouse awkwardly when her greeting wasn’t met with the same amount of enthusiasm. “I was just -- okay, we need to talk! Can I at least come in and make you some coffee?” Deborah said; she moved past Caitlyn. “You look like you could use it.” She added.

Before either of them knew it they were sitting in the kitchen of the Thurlow Cottage and conversing over their own cups of coffee. Deborah made sure to skip over the parts of Emily’s death by covering them up with small talk about a conversation she had with Kirsten the other day about Megan Sutton. It was so mundane that it almost made Deborah fall asleep.

So she jumped back on track. “I need to ask you something.”

Caitlyn straightened her posture. “By all means, Deborah, ask away.”

“It’s about Frank.” Deborah scrunched her nose. “I wouldn’t be asking you this if I didn’t have any doubt, what-so-ever, but James told me that he had sent Frank to Paris to do some business for Thurlow-Jurado Overseas and I just wanted to know if you could confirm it. I know you’ve been so busy with everything around the house... I just get this feeling that they’re lying to me.”

Caitlyn gulped.

This sign of fear Deborah had caught. She moved around in her chair and stirred her coffee. “So you do know something?” It was more of a statement than it was a question and Deborah didn’t bother to let Caitlyn deny it. “If you do know anything Caitlyn, I would hope that you felt comfortable enough to tell me. We are friends after all and I would do better getting the truth than a lie at this point.”

“I will find out.” She added, threateningly.

“I told them to just tell you the truth.” Caitlyn spilled; she looked down at her coffee for a split second. “I’m sorry that you had to find out this way Deborah. But after what has happened to Emily and just finding out that she was my daughter after all these years. All those secrets,” she picked up her coffee.
Photobucket
Deborah leaned in eager to know what secret they had been hiding. “Go on.”

“Frank was never in Paris,” Caitlyn started; she placed her coffee back on the wood table and tilted her head, shaking it slightly. “I’m really sorry you have to hear it like this. But Frank was here in Stone Creek and he was with Lucy Hahn. But not like you are probably thinking.”

“Please don’t lie to me.” Deborah begged.

Caitlyn placed her hands on the table. “I’m not. Look, Deborah, it’s really hard to explain what exactly happened. I’m sure that if you ask Frank about it he could fill you in better than-”

“Oh just tell me!” Deborah spat. The longer that Caitlyn went on dancing around the subject the more the scenario of Frank and Lucy Hahn ran rapid in her head. She could only imagine them entangled in a hotel room for days at a time. She could see Lucy confessing her love for Frank and Frank; so ably so, admitting his true feelings for her as well and as they danced in her head. Deborah felt dizzy.

“Lucy kidnapped him.”

The figures of Lucy and Frank broke apart in her head and she looked at Caitlyn dumb-founded. “Wait... what are you saying?”

“Your husband wasn’t in Paris because Lucy Hahn kidnapped him on the night of the black out.” Caitlyn informed her friend. She let the words linger in the air before she continued. “I told you that you should have let Frank explain this to you Deborah. It’s quite complicated.”

Deborah tried to wrap her head around the fact that Frank was kidnapped by a 5 foot 5 inch love-obsessed scrawny woman with a child.

[.....]

PhotobucketScene Eleven:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens
Alice’s Haven Cafe; Outside

Photobucket“It’s nice to meet you Mr. Thurlow,” Reichen greeted; he offered a handshake. He was surprised to have even received a call from the businessman. After his lunch with Charlene had finished there was a message from James Thurlow asking to meet up with him for a business proposition and having been out of corporate work for sometime, Reichen was intrigued with the offer.
Not that he was in complete hate working as a mechanic. The job gave him a great utensil to relieve the stress from his day-to-day life and was good at bringing in the ladies, something about a man who was good with his hands... Reichen opened the door for James Thurlow and they filed into the coffee shop.

PhotobucketImmediately a woman greeted them, she placed her arms around James. “What are you doing around here at this time of day, daddy?” She questioned; flashing a smile at Reichen and then kissing her father’s cheek. “I hope he’s not keeping you from your day, sir?”

Reichen knew that this woman was familiar, he just couldn't place the name. “Your old man has come at me with an intriguing offer, so now, I think he’s got my interests just fine.” He shook her hand. “My name’s Reichen Calbourne.” She returned his handshake and then folded her arms over her breast.

“So you’re the famous Reichen,” She tilted her head. “Now I see why my mother-in-law has been spending a lot of time with you... How about the two of you find yourselves some seats and I’ll grab a pot of coffee on the house?” She winked.

James nodded and guided Reichen to a table near the window. “So you brought me here with an ambush?” Reichen joked, nodding towards James’ daughter. 

“Kirsten’s harmless,” James chuckled, “unless you mess with her family, that is. I should have informed you why we were meeting here. But quite frankly the place speaks for itself. Yes, my daughter does own the place but if you’re looking for a friendly cup of coffee it’s the perfect place to be.”

Reichen placed his hands on the table. It was the first time he was actually meeting Kirsten Sutton and although he had indeed been spending a lot of time with Charlene; she never once introduced him to her son Charlie -- let alone Charlie’s wife, Kirsten -- he looked forward. “So what’s this proposition?”

“A job offer.”

He nodded his head. “I figured, you’ve got my attention.”

“Recently we have had some set-backs at Thurlow Enterprises and in hopes to keep my great-grandfather’s company running smoothly we have created a new position that we need to fill.” James explained, not going into too many details. Kirsten arrived with two cups and the pot of coffee; she placed and poured the coffee expertly, then wished them the best and tending to another customer. “We need a financial expert to help my CFO as a sort of assistant. They pay will be up to par, I give you my word.”

Reichen picked up his cup of coffee. “I’m sure your word is golden.”

He then placed the cup back on the table. It had been a long while since he wore a suit and tie, had he owned a pair of black leather loafers Reichen wouldn’t know where to find them. “What are the benefits?”

Photobucket“Medical, dental,” James went on to name everything that the job position would offer Reichen. He went over the salary and pay raises along with the vacation time and flexible hours. James also pointed out the stock options that Reichen would be able to look forward to in a year if he chose to stay with the company, “you’ll be very well taken care of, I assure you.”

“I take your assurance.” Reichen said.

“Then you’ll take the offer?”

Reichen nodded. “It’s a very tempting offer Mr. Thurlow-”

“James, call me James.” The man insisted.

“James.” Reichen corrected. “The offer is very tempting and I will admit that I couldn’t possibly turn you away without thinking about it first. There’s promise working with you James, you seem like a very honest man and I’m sure we can do a lot of great business together... Let me think on it?”

James nodded his head. “You know where to reach me.”

[.....]

Scene Twelve:
Stone Creek; Now Town
Millington Road; Outskirts of the City

PhotobucketHow the day had waned into night so quickly Marina Thurlow couldn’t say. It was so odd for a clean slate of dark blue to paint the sky with the only light of any use being the stars that danced all around her. She sat in her car; arms folded and deep in thought. For a road so vacant of life Millington Road was living up to its name today. Luckily for Marina the heat that greeted her this morning was now departing and a cool breeze had taken it’s place. Now if only someone would drive by so that she could go home.
She placed a hand on the steering wheel while the other turned the key. There was nothing else she could do other than just stay wait; anticipating the arrival of someone she could call her savior. The car wasn’t going anywhere and had Marina taken an auto shop class instead of majoring in Journalism she could have at least ran an autopsy on her dead counterpart. Instead she sat inside the vehicle and waited.

Maybe Cassie was right when she informed Marina of her own wishy-washy ways, her best friends words fished in her head as the cool breeze brushed against her skin. It was definitely cooling her down. And maybe Marina should have sat herself down and figured out her feelings for both Ryan and Ian before jumping into bed with either man. Although could anyone blame her? Just thinking about either man’s gorgeous physique was enough to turn Marina into putty. She briefly bit her lip.

Behind her a car pulled up and Marina thanked the heavens for this miracle. She leaned forward in her seat and peered through the rearview mirror as someone stepped out of their car and walked towards her. The dark haired woman looked towards the ceiling of her car and mouthed “thank you” as he approached.

“Looks like you have yourself a little car trouble.” The man stated.

Marina turned to face him. “Ryan Bauer, we need to stop meeting like this.”

PhotobucketHe chuckled; Marina couldn’t help but find it adorable how he blushed at their mere nod to their elevator encounter during the black out and how they were both drawn to each other so easily. Rubbing the back of his neck he smiled at her.

“Can you please help me?” She begged, leaning against the doorframe of her car.

Ryan placed his hands on the doorframe; their bodies close to touching. Then he placed his weight against the car and locked eyes with her. “That depends Marina Thurlow, what do I get for helping you? So far I’ve been gifted a black eye from your boyfriend.”

“He’s my ex. boyfriend, now.” She turned away.

“Well I would have hoped he broke up with you before he decided to use me as a punching bag.” Ryan admitted, the words stung Marina so. She knew they shouldn’t have. Her attention for it’s way back to the man standing by her car as it was parked on the side of the road.

Marina brushed her hair behind her ear. “I’m sorry about that.”

“Life goes on.”

“It sure does.” She said, her hands found their spot again next to Ryan’s and she let them linger there almost afraid to touch his. “So are you going to help me or are you going to just stand there and look pretty?”

Bashfully, he leaned back and fluttered his eyelashes playfully, “you think I’m pretty?”

She barely had enough time before a set of headlights blinded her. The next couple minutes happened in slow motion and between squinting her eyes and reaching her arm out to grab a hold of Ryan’s t-shirt she had no clue if she would be able to tug him out of the way in time.

The swooshing of the car coming their way was all that she could hear. Then the sound of breaks burst into her ears and the familiar -- yet awful -- smell of burnt tires filled her nostrils. She stood frozen in place, afraid to open her eyes and to see if she was only holding onto a piece of Ryan’s shirt.

[.....]

Photobucket

[.....]

Scene Fourteen:
Stone Creek; Now Town
Stone Creek Police Station; 1st Floor

PhotobucketMiles Fowler carried the case reports to his office and shut the door behind him with his right foot. His father-in-law had given him a day to remember all the evidence he could about Greta’s disappearance and he wasn’t going to waste any time. After talking to Muriel, the filing clerk about getting the paperwork he headed straight to his office. “I just need to figure out where you went.”

His words comforted him as he sat alone in the room. There had been someone else sitting in his chair while he was gone; the cushion had felt worn down and he could attest to it being one of the other police officers who had become jealous of Miles for getting the detective job. But it was an ordeal that would have to wait for another time. He dashed through the files until he found the statement from Greta’s assistant; it had stated that the young woman watched Greta leave the building to meet with a client around four in the afternoon.

But his fiance never made it to the meeting, or at least thats what they were led to believe. Miles then flipped through a couple more pages until he found the paperwork that detailed the search of the home. He dragged his index finger across the report and noticed the man; J. Haggard, Stone Creek Police Department.

Miles scratched his chin. A knock at the door alerted him to a visitor and he looked up briefly if only to allow them access to his office. 

“Muriel wanted me to give you these,” Police officer Sasha Pierce spoke, she waved some papers towards Miles. Nearly tumbling over his own feet, he scooped them out of her hands and thanked his fellow officer. “No problem detective, I hope they help.”

Then a question popped up in his head; he spun on his heel, “Sasha, do you have a second?”

“Sure.” The red head replied; she stood legs apart and her hands resting on her belt. “Is there a problem with something?”

Miles looked back at his desk; the report of the possible crime scene lay flatly on it. Then he turned back to Sasha and frowned. “Officer Haggard, how long has he worked here? I don’t really remember when he transferred to STPD. I was reviewing the reports and he was the one who searched the empty house... Could you give me a briefing on him?”

She thought a minute before responding. “I can tell you that he’s not a native to Stone Creek that much is for sure... He transferred here during your stay at the hospital.” An awkward silence fell between the two of them before she questioned, “is something wrong?”

“No.” Miles locked eyes with her. “Yes.” He frowned; dashing back to the desk he looked between the report and Sasha and flashed back to his conversation he had at the Wilkinson Cottage with Kirsten, Charlie and Diem. He remembered Diem stating that there were hidden passages in some of the older homes that someone who wasn’t familiar with them would miss.

Then his eyes bulged. “I think I just broke the case; get Chief Wilkinson on standby, I have to go check-out a possible lead to Greta’s disappearance.” With that, Miles grabbed his car keys and pushed past the officer and exited the building.

[.....]

PhotobucketScene Thirteen:
510 Auburn Rd., Stone Creek. “Nelson Home”
Frank & Deborah Nelson’s Home

She had spent the remainder of the day trying to find any records of Frank in Paris. There was still a part of Deborah that didn’t want to believe Caitlyn Thurlow when she explained that Deborah’s husband had been taken hostage by Lucy Hahn. It seemed to bizarre, like something out of a terrible dramatic book; penned by Caitlyn herself. 

PhotobucketThe crackling of the fire had calmed Deborah down for the most part. It wasn’t completely out of the norm to burn a fire during September. During the day the temperature might hit the mid nineties but at night there was a chill in the air that was perfect for a fire. The light danced off her face as she looked into it’s hues of orange and red. Fires had a way of relaxing her and after the day she had Deborah would have been contempt with burning her house down for a little bit of comfort.
Deborah turned her head towards the front door; the sound of keys caught her off-guard. She jumped to her feet and stood in front of the fireplace, she faced the entrance to the living room and held the fax her friend had sent her earlier that day. Her hands overlapping one another.

“Deborah.” Frank greeted, startled by his wife’s presence. He walked into the living room and stepped over to her taking note of the paper in her hands and the fire at her back. If there was any clue to the kind of day that Deborah had recently bore witness too, it was this. So he approached with caution. “Is everything alright?”

She bit down on her lip; the blood flowing into her mouth. “Tell me you were in Paris.”

His hands fell to his sides.

“It’s true.” As the words escaped her mouth they never wrung truer. She stepped towards her husband but then stepped back to catch herself from tripping. Although there were a million things running through her mind she couldn’t help but think about how exactly he thought he could get away with another lie.

Their whole marriage had been so full of lies that Deborah silently scolded herself for giving him the benefit of the doubt. On one hand she felt so bad that her husband had been taken hostage by this crazy woman. But on the other hand -- she shuttered -- Deborah knew that Frank wouldn’t have been in that position if he hadn’t carried out an affair with Lucy Hahn.

She tilted her head. “Why?”

Photobucket“I love you.” Frank spoke. “There’s not a day that goes by where I regret everything that happened between the two of us. Her and I.” at least he had the common decency not to mention her name, Deborah thought. “You’ve always been the love of my life Deborah Darlene Nelson and I’ve done things that I’m not proud of. But some of the few things that I’m proud of have been done with you; we raised three beautiful children together.”

“Don’t you think I know that?” Deborah’s eyes watered.

He stepped forward, but Deborah found herself leaning he back against the dark stones of the fireplace. “I’m going to spend the rest of my life trying to find a way to make you see how special you are to me. What I said about wanting our marriage to work... Deborah, I meant every word of it.”

“You need to tell me everything... tell me everything that happened between the two of you,” Deborah walked around him and found herself a chair to sit at, “you have to start from the beginning.” She added, clearing her eyes of tears as she watched her husband find a chair across from her.

Frank Nelson started from the beginning; in two-thousand and nine.

[.....]

Scene Fifteen:
Stone Creek; Now Town
Millington Road; Outskirts of the City

Marina Thurlow finally opened her eyes to find that she clutched Ryan’s shirt in her hands and attached to the shirt was Ryan himself. His body stood close to hers although she was inside of her car. Both breathing heavily at the mess they had avoided at the last minute. He was lucky that she had reacted so quickly and tugged him out of the way.

About half a mile up the road the car that almost collided with Ryan’s body screeched to a stop and the driver pulled himself halfway out the window to curse at them. With a rush of adrenaline, Ryan flipped him off and they both watched as the man climbed back into his car and sped off.

He turned to Marina, “Now that was a close one.”

“Oh my,” She jumped out of the car and with one hand dragged Ryan out of the road. The moment she saw the headlights of the speeding car she felt her heart sink to her toes and out the bottom of her shoes. Now it had returned and pumped with adrenaline wouldn’t stop reminding her of her fear. 

Then she looked at Ryan who was chuckling. “That’s not funny!” She barked, smacking his arm.

He recoiled, “I nearly died, can you please not hit me! I’m fragile,” he grinned; she grinned back, although she desperately tried to hold it back and retain her anger at him for putting himself in harms way so carelessly. Ryan pulled Marina into a hug, she gave in so easily.

“What does this mean?” She asked.

“This means I fix your car... or at least, give you a ride out of here.” Ryan said. She could feel him bury his face in the top of her head and sigh heavily. Marina knew that he had missed her as much as she had missed him. In that moment they were silent. Nobody could say anything to ruin her feelings towards him. Every obstacle that they ever had was gone; Natalie was in Paris and Ian had left without warning.

Marina felt horrible for the way she treated Ian. How she had used him for her own benefit and then forgot he existed once Ryan had come back into the picture, it had made her sick. So she pulled away from Ryan and tried to figure out why exactly she wanted to be with him. Was it his looks? Was it because they had been together for years so that had meant they were destined to be together? A part of her wanted to tell the rest of her heart to shut up and let nature take it’s course.

But then another part of Marina knew that the problems between herself and Ryan did very well exist and neither ever stuck around long enough to solve them. So what made her think that they could work it out this time around? Instantly she felt like going home and keeping clear of Ryan. For both their sakes.

She looked out at the dark blue sky and then back at Ryan. “Could you take me home now?”

[.....]

Scene Sixteen:
Stone Creek; Now Town
Abandoned Home; Basement

The man stood Greta Wilkinson up on her two feet, because she spent so much time laying on the ground in defeat, it took awhile for her legs to work properly again and he had to save her from crumbling to the ground. Out of fear, she began to weep. But he paid no attention to her weakness, instead he moved her to a wall so that she could keep her own balance.

PhotobucketShe did so eagerly. Taking one step forward Greta only felt dizzy and instantly stopped, her feet shuffled together and she locked eyes on the man who had held her hostage. “Why...” her voice hoarse with dryness. She tried clearing her throat but it burned. Instead she tried moving again and found herself shuffling to the middle of the basement, only to fall to her knees once again.

Greta began to cry.

“I need you to carry out a message for me.” The man spoke, he turned to Greta with a knife in his right hand. She shrieked out in fear and scurried to the closest wall. Trying desperately to get to her feet, Greta held her back against the wall and her arms spread out. The man stepped closer to her, bent down and leaned in close, “Child, I’m not going to hurt you.”

She whimpered a response.

He held out a hand for her to take and she did so. “I need you to tell someone that I’m finally home. It has been a long time coming and trust me, she had been waiting for decades for my return... Can you do this for me? Can you tell your mother that Rodney Burnett has been dreaming about her?”

Greta slithered away from him. 

“So you recognize me?” Rodney spoke, amused. “Good.”

Rodney lunged forward and pulled Greta up into his arms and kissed her neck gently while she recoiled and squirmed in his grasp. He smelled her hair -- which had been scented with sweat and dirt by now -- but the distant scent of body wash tainted the smell of the earth.

“Greta!” They both turned towards the basement entrance with a mix of emotions. Rodney pushed her back on the ground -- she scurried to the corner and whimpered -- he darted his attention for the door, the knife in his hands aimed for an attack. “Greta! Are you here? Please... answer me!”

The whimpers of Greta trying to warn Miles could only reach Rodney’s ears, he turned to her menacingly. Then he turned back to the sound of Miles Fowler storming down to the basement. “That bastard! He found us.” Taking his knife, Rodney hid behind the door to the basement.

PhotobucketHe watched as Miles zoomed into the room and stopped short of finding Greta on the ground. Miles fell to her side and tried to lift her head up, but she pulled away in shock. “Who did this to you? We need to get you-” A sharp pain ran through his body -- with a blow to the head -- Miles tumbled over.

Rodney grabbed Greta’s arm and she shrieked. “Remember what I told you, child!” He then dropped her arm and dashed out of the basement.

The dark haired woman moved to Miles said and shook him violently. This woke him up and he jumped up, looking around for the person who knocked him out. He looked at the terror on Greta’s face and he insisted she stay in the basement while he went after the kidnapper.

Greta fell to her knees, she watched Miles scurry out of the room. How had things changed so much and how did she end up the perfect victim? Finally able to get to her feet, she began to stumble for the door and forced herself to climb the stairs out of the basement and onto the first floor of the old victorian home.

She dashed out onto the front lawn and found Miles laying in the grass, unconscious.

When Greta bent down her body ached in pain. Her dark hair fell over her shoulders as she tilted her head down and began to sob heavily. It seemed like mere seconds ago everything was going to be alright. The day had turned to night without regards to letting her know. She pounded on his chest and weeped violently.

“Don’t you die on me!” Her words burned her bruised throat.

[.....]

Next Time, On Concrete Shelves
+Penelope finally comes face-to-face with Grady Wilkinson.
+With an offer on the table, Reichen contemplates his future in Stone Creek.
+Miles makes a decision that changes his life.
+Frustration starts to eat at Gideon Wilkinson...