Friday, October 28, 2011

Speeding Cars


Previously, On Concrete Shelves
  • Penelope started Chemotherapy.
  • Ryan and Natalie started sleeping together.
  • Patrick decided to run for Mayor.
  • Gail wanted a house of her own...
[.....]
Photobucket
[.....]
Scene One:
HEAT Magazine Headquarters.
Studio.
Photobucket“No, no!” Natalie Marlowe spoke as she witnessed one of the models coming out of the dressing room. “That make-up is not right. I don’t know which one of those idiots is doing it for you but it is going to make your cheeks look chubby! You don’t want to be on the cover with fat cheeks!”
She watched as the model scurried back into the dressing room. Turning back towards the set, Natalie couldn’t help but think about how much she had put into working with Oliver Cuthbert. He wasn’t a man that she was pleased to be working with. But after she realized that Ryan might just want a sexual relationship she had to throw her head into work.
“Where the hell is my model?” Oliver called out.
Natalie grumbled, he always had a way of yelling at her from a couple feet away. As if there were miles and a thick wall between them. She shook her head and pushed her hand out to block his retorts. “I sent her back, now can we go back to shooting the rest of them?”
“You sent her back?” Oliver asked bewildered. “Who told you to send her back?”
“She looked like a squirrel with nuts in her mouth!” Natalie admitted. “I couldn’t let her humiliate herself like that Oliver, so please just stop yelling at me!”
He narrowed his eyes at her. Then he smiled his creepy grin and winked at her. “Do you ever miss being in front of the camera gorgeous? Because I have to tell you, I miss every second of it. Especially when we had to do swimsuit pictures, those were my favorite.”
“We’re not sleeping together.” Natalie spit. “Again.”
PhotobucketOliver chuckled. “I’m not trying to sleep with you honey, I’m just asking questions. Trying to keep everything light here. You always seem so stressed out when we are on set. Is it something I did? Because I can change baby, I can change just for you.”
“You’re a sleaze ball.”
He tilted his head. “You’re washed up!”
Natalie turned to him. “Is that all you have? I mean really, I would have thought a man of your stature would come up with something other than the obvious. You make yourself seem so big around set Oliver, but just wait until I tell them how big you really are.”
He bit his lip in delight. “That would mean you’d have to admit to sleeping with me.”
She knew he had got her there. Frowning, Natalie walked away from him defeated. Back on set she watched as her best friend is talking to another one of the models. She didn’t hate Amanda for taking her spot, Natalie just hated the hideous scar that destroyed her dream.
Rubbing her face, Natalie sighed. She needed to have sex with Ryan to feel better about herself. Oliver brushed up next to her with his squirrel-like model and offered her another free wink. She also needed to get away from Oliver Cuthbert as soon as possible.
[.....]
Scene Two:
341 Wallow St., Stone Creek. “Schmidt Home”
Charlie, Kirsten & Megan’s Home.
PhotobucketOnce her daughter was out of the way and Charlie Sutton left the house, Helen knew it was her time to shine. Today was a Saturday and Megan was going to be home from school all day. So that meant that Helen had to brush-up on her child raising skills.
She wished she had brought a manual.
The only good thing on her side was the chocolate chip cookies she had bought earlier and hid in her purse. Helen knew it was a bad idea to give a child sweets for breakfast, but she knew it was one of the only ways to bribe Megan into doing everything she asked.
“My mother doesn’t let me eat these in the morning.” Megan announced.
Helen sighed. “Well, then let’s keep this between the two of us, shall we? Besides, I’m not your mother. I’m your grandmother and I am allowed to spoil you any way that I please. It’s in the manual for grandparents.” 
“What am I,” Megan quipped, “A toy?”
Kirsten was right about Megan. The little girl was definitely smart enough to hold her own weight around Helen and she didn’t know wether to be pleased by her brains or panicked by how much she would have to work to win Megan over.
“Why are you here?” Megan asked after she finished her second cookie.
“Your mother asked me to take care of you.” Helen replied, she fished out the milk and suspiciously poured Megan a glass so that she could have at least something healthy in the morning. “Since I don’t need to be at work right now, I agreed.”
Megan wrinkled her nose at the milk. “Caitlyn usually gives me juice.”
“Well I’m not Caitlyn either.”
The little girl sighed, giving into her grandmother’s glass of milk. “What I meant was, why are you taking care of me now? You never came around before.”
Helen frowns, but tells Megan to hold on a minute once her phone goes off. After making sure that Megan wouldn’t fall off the chair and break her neck. Helen went into the next room. “Natalie? What do you want right now, I’m sort of busy!”
“I can’t deal with Oliver. I don’t mean to sound whiny-”
“Well then don’t.” Helen spat. “See, that simple. I have to go, I really can’t council you about your job. If you don’t want to deal with Oliver, then quit. It’s as simple as that Natalie.”
Helen could feel the other girl frowning on the phone before she hung up on her. She needed to find something to do with Megan for the rest of the day, if only she had actually planned a day for them. Sighing, Helen wished she had brought a manual.
[.....]
Scene Three:
Now Town
GW Realtors Offices
Looking around at the space, Greta Wilkinson, couldn’t help but feel a tad bit claustrophobic although she had never suffered from the phobia before. It was in that moment that she sympathized for others with the condition. The space to her new offices was so cramped. 
PhotobucketGreta walked through the tiny waiting area and was thankful to have a space for a receptionist. She would have to bring in a desk and decorate it so that it looked spacious. She sighed, it was three times smaller than the other place, but on a good note Drew had checked and determined there were no termites in the vicinity.
Still it didn’t give her a good feeling. Her office was cramped and had a small view of an alley and bricks. Which could be a source of entertainment in the future. Or a way for her to enter the witness protection agency. She would determine that another day.
Maybe covering up the window? Definitely with some curtains.
Stepping back into the main waiting area she froze as Miles Fowler entered the building with a bouquet of blue Delphinium flowers. Her eyes began to water with excitement. Greta sighed, taking the flowers and hugging her ex. boyfriend.
“How did you know where I was?”
Miles smirked. “I got a hold of Bentley and he told me you were looking at your new place of operations.”
He looked around at the place and it caught her attention. Greta lowered her head in fear that he would laugh at her new offices. She knew that it was unmanageable. That she tried too hard too fast to start her own business and that she sacrificed her relationship with Miles.
“Care to show me around?”
Greta smiled the flowers, they were her favorite. “There’s not much to see. Honestly, this places isn’t even half the size of the other place I looked at. This is the sitting area. I was thinking of putting a water cooler in that corner over there and a couple chairs around it.”
Photobucket“I like that idea.” Miles replied, he walked over to where she was pointing. “Maybe a table in the center and some books on homes and stuff as well?”
She nodded. “That’s exactly what I was thinking. I want it to have the feel of you being invited into someones home. Pictures on the wall, various decorations all around. Then over here,” Greta walked to where she wanted her receptionist to sit. “I want a desk for my receptionist, a phone, computer.”
“I can see that.” Miles agreed. He grabbed the flowers from Greta and placed them near the imaginary desk. “See, can you picture that? A fresh bouquet of Delphinium flowers everyday?”
“I can’t believe you remembered.”
Miles smiled, walked back to her and handed the flowers back. “We just broke up Greta. Besides, after everything that we’ve been through. How could I forget what kind of flowers were your favorite?”
Leaning in, Greta closed her eyes and kissed Miles on the lips. Forgetting the fact that they were broken up. She just couldn’t handle him being so close to her and comforting her the way he did. She wrapped her arms around him and didn’t stop herself.
---
Our love. Our fights. Our friendships.
On Concrete Shelves.
Forever, they shall be remembered.
---
Scene Four:
507 Auburn Rd., Stone Creek. “Wilkinson Cottage”
Gideon, Daphne & Penelope’s Home.
PhotobucketWalking into the kitchen, Penelope Wilkinson, stopped in her tracks. Standing before her, with his face buried in the fridge was her grandson, Bentley. This was the third time in the last week that he had been in the house unannounced. Although it wasn’t unusual to see him here while he was in college, now it just seemed out of place.
“Don’t you have a girlfriend to attend to?” Penelope asked, dryly.
Bentley turned from the fridge to greet his grandmother, then went back to it. Pulling out enough food to feed an entire third world country. “Emily is at work.”
His grandmother sat at the granite counter island stumped. “Shouldn’t you be at work as well?”
But he had an excuse for that and Penelope wasn’t surprised. She brought her face into a worried pout and then watched as he built the biggest sandwich she could wrap her head around. “They sent you here to check-up on me, didn’t they? That father of yours has no tact for being the Chief of Police.”
Bentley chuckled. “Do you want a sandwich?”
“Chemo doesn’t make me hungry, sadly.”
“How are you doing grandma?”
She peered at him. “Can we go back to the question you so finely avoided. You should have become a police officer, you have that tact like your grandfather did. It would be a good career for you, Bentley, you know that? Don’t answer that question, I’d rather hear how they bribed you to watch over me.”
Taking a bite from his sandwich, Bentley frowned. “Actually, dad didn’t really ask me to come over and watch you. Although if he did, I would totally do so. Everyone is so worried about you, even your friend Caitlyn is. The truth is grandma, I’m avoiding Emily.”
“Are you gay?”
“What!” Bentley shrieked. 
He chuckled at her accusation and shook his head. “Emily Roscoe is the hottest girl I’ve ever laid my eyes on grams, there is no way that I would leave her for a dude!”
“Well then why are you avoiding that 'hot piece of ass'?”
Bentley raised an eyebrow by his grandmother’s definition, although he had to agree. “Because I think I’m ready to pop the question and I keep getting nervous around her.”
[.....]
Scene Five:
420 N. Dayton St., Stone Creek. “Stone/Schmidt Home”
Adrian & Gail’s New Home.
Peach.
It wasn’t a color that Adrian Stone had imagined his living room to pertain, but then again if you asked him a couple months ago if he imagined that Gail Schmidt would be back in his life he wouldn’t have believed you. Still, the peach color would have to grow on him.
PhotobucketHe knew that the previous owner of the house had put it up for sale so quickly, that Adrian feared it was cursed. After Greta Wilkinson reassured Adrian that the previous owner, Kevin Saunders, was adamant about not returning to Stone Creek and that the house was well put together. Adrian agreed, he felt a little better.
But the colors that Gail chose for their new home was another thing to fear.
Until a glob of peach paint landed on his nose. Adrian looked at Gail form the corner of his eye and watched as she giggled with excitement at what she had just done. “Did you just dab me with your paintbrush?”
“Did you just say dab?” Gail laughed.
His face grew red. “Get over here!”
They raced around the room until Adrian caught his girlfriend who had become a bustle of giggles and cackles. Kissing her cheek he leaned into her scent. “You’re going to get it.” He whispered into her ear before maneuvering her paintbrush to leave a streak of peach paint across her cheek.
“No!” Gail laughed, breaking free of her husband’s loose hold he had on her. “No! That’s not fair! That’s not-”
Adrian couldn’t help but laugh at Gail as she playfully frowned and scooted closer to him with her paintbrush behind her back. Cautiously Adrian backed up, running into one of the freshly painted walls. He closed his eyes as she stepped closer, her laughter all his senses could decipher.

Until he felt the paintbrush run across his face. He let out a chuckle of his own, which was soon killed after Gail kissed him on the lips. “I think we have more paint on us than on the walls.”
“I think you’re right.” Adrian responded, opening his eyes. He rubbed his hand against the freshly painted wall and pulled it away. He didn’t know how he let Gail talk him into peach, but he was glad he did. Because the color looked good on the old raggedy shirt she wore as he rubbed it down the middle.
Gail’s mouth agape, taunting him to continue. “You’re going to get it.”
“I already have.” Adrian kissed her once again. “I love you.”
[.....]
Scene Six:
2634 W. Parker St., Stone Creek. Callahan Condos #15
Marina, Cassie & Lucian’s Home.
PhotobucketCassie Lakhani sat at the couch, holding her son up as she tried to get him to sit-up without her help. It was a process that she had tried to do numerous times already with no success. “I think we might have to hold off on his baseball career, I think he might just be lazy.”
“Nonsense, I’m sure he will be crawling in no time!” Marina Thurlow proposed sitting across from her. She got from the couch and took Lucian in her hands, kissing his cheek and giving it a try. But as soon as she let go, the giggling little boy fell back into her arms.
“You’re right.” Marina teased. ‘He is going to end up at the back of the class, smoking weed like that guy Efrain you had a crush on back when you were in High School.”
The brunette then turned to Lucian with a smile. “Hello stoner dude, you will be a hit with the ladies.”
“Don’t tell him that!” Cassie squealed with laughter.
Marina chuckled. “You worry too much. I think that he is making excellent progress, you don’t want him to be extraordinary like Kirsten and start circling summer camps before he can even comprehend words. Look how she turned out; normal.”
Cassie sighed, watching as Lucian rolled over onto his stomach and started to wiggle his legs. “I just want the best for him is all.”
“He has the best right here!” Marina pouted, she jumped to her feet. “So I don’t know if I mentioned it or not, but Ian wants to start over with our relationship. I think I finally am being freed from the ice chamber that was his cold shoulder.”
“From what I remember it wasn’t that cold.”
Marina rolled her eyes. “Not the point. He wants to take me out on a special date and I have no idea where it could be. He wouldn’t tell me, no matter how much I tried to get it out of him. I don’t think I’m that great of a reporter anymore.” She wrinkled her nose.
“Well let’s think about it?” Cassie replied, “He is a Veterinarian and barely started at the Clinic so his paycheck isn’t going to be the greatest right now. Maybe he is going to take you to the Amazon jungle on a sight seeing adventure to tour the wildlife and help innocent little animals.”
Her best friend narrowed her eyes. “You’re not good at this game.”
“It could happen!”
Marina shrugged. “That’s too larger than life, sounds like something coming from that soap opera you watch all the darned time! Besides, I only go on planes when I need to. I’m claustrophobic remember, tight spaces don’t leave me at my best.”
“Very true.” Cassie sighed. “What if you saw a snake. If he was trying to win you back, making you have a near heart attack wouldn’t be the way to do it. Have you seen how you react to snakes? He would probably be terrified of you!” Finding it funny, Cassie couldn’t stop herself from laughing.
Marina stuck her tongue out. “It was a very scary garden snake.”
“Wasn’t it though?” Cassie mouthed, turning her attention to Lucian who somehow managed to move a good three feet while they weren’t looking. Cassie tilted her head, confused. “Hey, maybe he will be a baseball player someday.”
[.....]
Scene Seven:
980 Cutler St., Stone Creek. Faustino Cottages #7
Charlie, Kirsten & Megan’s Home.
Photobucket“I don’t think they’re supposed to look like that.” Megan Sutton spoke, she peered over the counter to the batch of cookie mix that her grandmother was trying to perfect. She wrung her nose in disgust as the mix still retained a powdered mass.
Helen looked down at the girl. “What do you know? You’re only five.”
“Seven.” Megan spat.
Her grandmother sighed, then she decided that they would just do something else. Placing the cookie batter in the sink she turned to Megan. “How about we just go buy cookies? That sounds like something I can’t screw up and I need to get out of this house anyways.”
Megan’s eyes lit up, nodding her head.
“Good!” Helen smiled, her phone started ringing and she made a dash for it, covering the device in leftover cookie mix. “Go get your coat and shoes on, will you?” Turning her attention to the phone she greeted her new assistant with a rushed hello and asked what she wanted.
Helen perked up. “A meeting? He wants to hold a meeting with me today? How the hell did you manage to score something so wonderful so soon Michelle?” 
She gleamed at the good news, to think she was on the verge of firing the air-headed assistant of hers. “Well of course I want to agree to a meeting with him. Do you know what this means for our magazine having his face on the front cover?”
Hurrying along to grab her purse and her keys, Helen headed for the door. “Yes, of course I can be there in an hour. I just have to get out of these clothes, they’re full of cookie--crap!” She spat as the door shut behind her. “I’ll be there as soon as possible Michelle, just stall him.”
Unlocking the door with the extra set of keys Kirsten left for her, Helen walked back in the house to see Megan at the foot of the stairs ready to go. “You forgot me, didn’t you?”
Helen narrowed her eyes. “I was just testing you.”
[.....]
Scene Eight:
507 Auburn Rd., Stone Creek. “Wilkinson Cottage”
Gideon, Daphne & Penelope’s Home.
Photobucket“How do you go through with the Chemo?” Bentley Wilkinson asked his grandmother as he handed her a bottle of water and hopped onto the couch.
Penelope shrugged. “Well, it was a better option than dying.”
After much consideration, Bentley agreed with his grandmother. “Well I am personally proud of you for going through with it. I don’t know what we would do without you around for the holiday’s.”
“I did consider dying.” Penelope let on, she smirked. “But then I realized that this family needs me to keep them on track. There is too much going on in this darned city that I need to keep you all on your toes and sharp as knives. Especially that mother of yours.”
Bentley turned his head.
“There was a time that I couldn’t stand her.” He could tell they were going down a trip to memory lane and instead of shutting her out like he used to as a child, Bentley thought he owed it to Penelope that he listened this time. “Back when your father was at Cuttlebone University, he met your mother.”
She remembered it as if it was yesterday. “ Your mother, bless her heart, wasn’t exactly from a prestigious family. She got by on student loans and financial aide. But even that wasn’t enough to help her stay in the dorms at the school and she was kicked out eventually. But your father took her into his dorm.”
“Woah, you mean dad was going against the rules?” Bentley asked, shocked.
Penelope nodded. “He said they were falling in love, I figured he was just trying to get in her pants. But we don’t really know the truth. Anyways, back then your mother was a different type of person. She was meek and fidgety and ran in the wrong crowds.”
“You mean Rodney Burnett?”
“He was a very bad man.” Penelope spoke, coldly. “I don’t honestly know his past with your mother but I know enough to be thankful that he is out of everyone’s lives for good. Many people almost lost their lives because of that man. Just know that the woman your mother once was is very different than the one she is today.”
Bentley gulped. “I never really heard the whole story.”
Penelope frowned. “You don’t want to know it. Now please, will you marry Emily Roscoe before I die?”
He tried to get his mind off of Rodney Burnett, a small chuckle to convince his grandmother that everything was alright. Bentley lowered his head. “Can we keep that between the two of us for right now? I don’t really want everyone else to know yet.”
“Alright.” Penelope agreed.
[.....]
Scene Nine:
Sage Gardens
Gladys’ Bistro.
“There’s definitely something different about you.” Greta let on as she admired the change in her old friend. “I just can’t believe that you are now working with Patrick Sutton on his campaign. I’ll be sure to keep my eye out for you. You’re going places.”
Photobucket“Thank you.” Ryan nodded in appreciation. He watched as Miles Fowler was ordering their take-out. “What’s the beef with the police officer? I thought you didn’t want to be the police officers wife like your mother was all those years ago?”
Greta shrugged. “Miles keeps surprising me. Besides, right now things are just complicated, we are just trying to figure out who each other is. How are you doing with your that torch of yours that you’ve always held so brightly for Marina Thurlow?”
She noticed as he shifted positions in front of her. “I’m sort of talking to Natalie Marlowe right now.”
“That is the perfect way to make Marina jealous.” Greta hinted, she shrugged. “If you end up dating Natalie that might be the perfect way to break Marina and Ian up for good. Be careful about things Ryan. You know I worry about you sometimes.”
“I can take care of myself, but thanks.” He hugged his ex. girlfriend. “I’m just glad that I can be in town and be around you and Bentley again. I can’t believe he is actually sticking to one woman these days. Emily Roscoe seems like sweet girl.”
Greta raised a brow of concern. “Emily is a really nice girl.”
“Don’t look at me like that.”
She folded her arms. “Don’t think it.”
The two shared a couple more laughs before Miles re-joined them with the lunch he promised Greta.
“You have a  good woman here Miles, keep that in mind.” Ryan told him, stepping to the side. Saying his goodbyes to the two of them he watched as they exited the restaurant.
“He is right, you know.” Miles told Greta. “Why don’t you move back in with me?”
Greta looked at him wearily. “One day at a time.”
[.....]
Scene Ten:
420 N. Dayton St., Stone Creek. “Stone/Schmidt Home”
Adrian & Gail’s New Home.
Getting back to their new house felt so surreal to Adrian Stone. He found his girlfriend sitting on one of the only pieces of furniture they brought into the house so far: a couch. “What are you doing?" He asked, amused by her glares into the wall.
PhotobucketShe looked up at him and beckoned him to join her. “I’m just imagining what this room is going to look like when it is completely done, you know?” Gail cuddled up closer to Adrian as she continued. “Like, could we put a TV over there?” She pointed.
There was always something so playful and imaginative to Gail that he loved since they were younger and she was the brainiac and he was the kid from the wrong side of the tracks. Although truth be told, they were both from the wrong side of the tracks.
Gail was just from a higher class than he always was. “Well, we can do that, yes. We can also put it in the corner since I will be added the entertainment center in this room. We can move the couches around so that it is the center of the room.”
She wrinkled her nose. “But I want the fireplace to be the center.”
“We can do that too.” Adrian went along, he ran his hand through her hair. “I talked to Kirsten today about the Loft, I told her that I was moving out and was going to give her enough time to find a new tenant.”
“How did she take the news?” Gail asked, her mind still trying to picture the new room complete. Although with the new information that Adrian talked to Kirsten about moving now occupying her busy mind. She sat up before Adrian could say anything. “Do you still love her?”
Adrian choked on the information. “Gail, you know that what happened between Kirsten and I was a very long time ago. I still care about her, yes. But do I love Kirsten? I can’t say that I do.” She could feel him retreating from her in his mind. “I love you.”
He placed his hand on her stomach. “I want us to start a family together.”
“I’m sort of glad that Helen brought you back to Stone Creek.”
“Me too.” Adrian replied, kissing the top of her head. “Now, how about we do this? How about we move this couch to the side so that we can move the TV closer to the fireplace and make both of them the center of the room. We can get a couple recliners for us.”
Gail nodded along to his idea, knowing deep down that Adrian is the one she is meant to spend the rest of her life with and nobody can get between them.
[.....]
Scene Eleven:
420 N. Dayton St., Stone Creek. “Stone/Schmidt Home”
Natalie & Amanda’s Home.
PhotobucketAmanda Tucker twirled around and looked into the mirror, “You can wait for Natalie here if you want. I have some place to be so I can’t stay and chit-chat with you scooby-doo.”
She placed her false diamond earrings into her ears one at a time and flashed Ryan Bauer a coy smile. It wasn’t that she was Natalie’s roommate that turned Ryan on. It was that she knew he was turned on by her, that did the trick. Playfully, Amanda bit her lip.
“Are you sure you don’t want to stay and keep me company?” Ryan asked, he started to make himself a home in the living room. Stealing glances as Amanda hopped around, bending over to grab unnecessary items. She was teasing him and Ryan was loving it.
“Like I said, I have places to be.”
Ryan perked up. Besides the earrings, Amanda wore a skin-tight red and black corset which showed off her breast in the best way. Her curves, causing Ryan to pulse in anticipation. She had a pair of small underwear that seemed to match the thigh high stockings.
“It’s not even Halloween yet, where would you be going in those?” He asked, catching her eye.
Amanda rolled her eyes. “Wouldn’t you like to know.”
The woman grabbed a small purse and clipped it shut. “I’m going to go now, you behave yourself.”
“It’s going to be cold out there.” Ryan replied, stepping closer to her and putting his jacket around her, gracing her left breast in the process.
But the woman shrugged the jacket off. “You’re a pig.”
Her words so coy that it seemed like she almost meant it as a challenge, both locked in a trance that Ryan could only describe as lust. He leaned in closer to her but watched as Amanda pulled away and began to chuckle. Then he knew for sure she was messing with him.
“You really will catch a cold.” He mustered, trying to relax his body.
Amanda turned on her heel and opened the front door. “That’s better than what Natalie seemed to have caught.”
The words getting lost in the frosted air as she slammed the door behind her. Ryan frowned, he had no idea where Amanda was going in lingerie but it did intrigue him. Especially since he didn’t know very much about her.
[.....]
Scene Twelve:
Cuttlebone Lake.
The Lakeside Inn.
Photobucket“I know you’re only going through this because of the media attention.” Charlie Sutton spoke, his words adding to the awkward meeting he scheduled with his father. Standing behind the man, Charlie sighed. “I really did wish you cared enough about your family to actually want to help save the Inn.”
Patrick turned around, his eyes narrowed at his son. “I’m saving the place, aren’t I? This fundraiser that someone else came up with. Patrick Sutton is here to clean up another one of your messes Charlie, that’s just what I do and you still find the time to blame me for everything.”
“This is your chance to help make things right.” Charlie replied, trying to hold back his anger. 
His father shrugged off the conversation. 
It was a conversation that he felt numb to already. After three years of having it, Patrick Sutton didn’t want anything to do with it anymore. It weakened him to hear Charlie blame everything on himself. He pitied his son for his own weaknesses.
“Charlie,” A voice wrung, it belonged to Aidan Jurado. He slipped into the room with a couple papers in his hand, seeming out of breath. “We need to discuss something.”
Charlie turned towards the younger boy. “Not now Aidan.”
“Aidan?” Patrick pounced, he stepped around Charlie and stood in front of Aidan. “So you’re the one who put together this who ordeal? Using the people in this city against each other to make a profit? I must commend you for your bravery. But give these people free booze and they wouldn’t notice simple manipulation.”
He was making the boy nervous, he could tell. “You can learn a thing or two from this kid, Charlie.”
“Enough dad!” 
PhotobucketAidan gulped. “I didn’t mean to interrupt anything but I really think that the two of you want to hear what I have to tell you.”
Charlie shook his head, motioning for Aida to leave. “Not tonight Aidan, I’m sorry, I’ve just heard enough talk.”
“Do let him tell us.” Patrick’s eyes slithered into Aidan’s skull. Studying his mannerisms hoping to find a trace of Shannon in the young man. In a weird way, it made him feel closer to her with Aidan just being in the room. “Go on boy, tell us the news.”
Aidan shook his head, he handed Patrick a piece of paper. “You seem to have competition in the race.”
It had been a fear that swarmed in Patrick’s head for days now. That someone would come out of the woodwork and try to claim the power in the city, something he had worked so hard to claim for himself. He grabbed the paper in his hands. Charlie peering over his shoulder.
“Dear god,” Patrick seethed. “I can’t believe this son-of-a-bitch.”
[.....]
Next Time, On Concrete Shelves
  • Everyone gets ready for Halloween.
  • Patrick goes to visit the person running against him.
  • Aidan finds himself intrigued with someone in Stone Creek.
  • A trip to the hospital puts someone in jeopardy...
Previous Episode | Home | Forum | Next Episode ]