Friday, June 29, 2012

All We Are

Previously, On Concrete Shelves
  • A DNA test was taken.
  • Cassie tried to break Callum out of jail.
  • Charlene started talking to Reichen Calbourne
  • Emily was attacked...
[.....]
funeralRoses
[.....]
PhotobucketScene One:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens
Luther Church Chapel; Inside
Although his head was in his hands, Bentley Wilkinson was still aware of the numerous people that sat around him at the Church Chapel. It had been two weeks since the death of his fiance Emily, but it still felt so fresh. Everything up to this moment was a haze and the last thing he remembered about his gorgeous girlfriend was her lifeless body laying on the floor of their apartment.
PhotobucketBentley couldn’t shake this feeling of painful dread that had coated him with doubt that this was over. Emily was so beautiful, there was a moment when he first met her that he truly felt his breath slip away from him. It was so subtle that he felt it was a natural reaction to anyone that encountered the woman he would soon make his fiance. She was simply dashing in her simple little way.
Today there was a picture of her, a gracious smile, it was from when they had spent the day with his family at the Lake during the summer. Although she was still nervous to meet his family, let alone spend time with them, she still remained as stunning as ever.
But the picture didn’t do her any justice. It simply was put there to mock Bentley and he wanted so much to tear it off the stand and throw it away. Because the last time he saw his fiance she wasn’t happy. There wasn’t a shred of doubt inside him that Emily was shattered into a million emotional pieces.
And she was rightful so. Emily had just found out that Caitlyn Thurlow and Damien Crenshaw could have been her birth parents. That was another thing, now she would never know the truth. Bentley simply wanted to give Damien a piece of his mind for abandoning Emily all those years ago. 
Now that they all knew she was their daughter.
He felt a hand on his shoulder, but it didn’t stop him for imagining Emily in the darkness of his hands. 
When he returned home the night of the blackout he thought he would surprise her with dinner from his parent’s house, just a couple things and a bottle of wine. Once he found her on the floor covered in her own blood, however, things changed drastically.
The glass bottle shattered in the hallway, but the sound evaded his ears, only leaving room for deafening silence as Bentley fell to Emily’s side and checked her pulse. She was clinging on for dear life, so close to slipping away and yet still there for the whimpering Bentley to beg her to hold on. Emily’s had fluttered open, so effortlessly that Bentley convinced himself that she was alright.
“It’s not over.” Emily whispered, her mouth fighting to pronounce the sounds against her own lips. “Bentley, I’m so very cold.”
Bentley could feel his breath slipping away just as it did the first time he had met her. But this time he tried to hold on, hold out, tried to desperately keep his cool so that he could save his breath for Emily, just in case she needed it before the ambulance got there.
He stayed by her side until help arrived.
Bentley lifted his head and turned to the hand on his shoulder, he found it attached to Ryan Bauer. It had been so long since either had been around the other. He remembered when they were close friends, but after Ryan left something changed between the two of them. Distance? Bentley didn’t know, but it was comforting to have his friend there when he needed him.
[.....]
PhotobucketScene Two:
505 Auburn Rd., Stone Creek. [Thurlow Cottage]
James & Caitlyn’s Home
There hasn’t been many times when James Thurlow’s emotions have confused him. At least not at this level of confusion. Standing in the doorway he watched his wife as she just sat there. He thought that he had left clothes out for her after her shower, it would make everything easier. But Caitlyn hasn’t found it in her to actually get dressed. So instead she sat on the bed in her robe and looked out the window.
Danielle had always been the missing piece to Caitlyn’s life. The one thing that kept Caitlyn fighting for another day at life just so that she could find her daughter and bring her home. It was one of the qualities that James has found so endearing about his wife. But lately, on the eve of  ‘Danielle’s’ funeral, he could hardly recognize the woman. She looked such a lost little girl, James didn’t blame her.
He was more worried about his wife than anything.
“We need to get you dressed.” He spoke, walking up to the clothes he laid out and picked up her dress. It was a soft, delicate black dress that she had picked out years ago when they first went to Paris. Neither knowing that it would be used in the future to attend her daughter’s funeral.
PhotobucketCaitlyn looked up at James. “I can’t do it.”
“You can.” He encouraged.
But she shook her head.
So James sat down on the bed, next to his wife and wrapped his arm around her, and as if  it were something they had practiced so much times before, Caitlyn leaned into his body. “You’ve been the strongest person in my life for years now and I’m not going to let you make this mistake. She was your daughter.”
“Was she?” Caitlyn asked, mostly scolding herself silently. “How could I call Emily Roscoe my daughter? I lost my daughter the moment her adopted parents changed her name, James. I have no rights to mourn her death today. Because I didn’t raise that young woman. I didn’t take care of her when she was sick and I certainly didn’t save her when she needed me.”
“This isn’t your fault-”
“I’m not talking about fault!” Caitlyn snipped, she pulled away. “I’m not her mother.”
James turned his wife slightly so she was facing him. “Emily Roscoe would have been proud to call you her mother, there’s no doubt in that. You didn’t raise her because that disgusting excuse for a human being gave her away and told you she was dead.”
“Now she really is dead.” Caitlyn huffed. “It doesn’t matter now.”
He sighed, knowing that Caitlyn was right that it really didn’t matter now. But something in him still wanted to slam Damien Crenshaw against a wall and make him pay for his crimes against Caitlyn’s emotional state. “Let’s get you dressed.”
Caitlyn looked up at him. “I’m not going.”
[.....]
PhotobucketScene Three:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens
Luther Church Chapel; Inside
“I don’t understand why this would happen.” Daphne Wilkinson spoke to her husband. She turned to him with a sad look in her eyes. “This isn’t one of those things that you’d expect as a parent to have to comfort your child through. I don’t even know what we can say to him.”
Gideon sighed. “We just have to be there for him. He’s resilient. Bentley will get through this,” It was a hope that Gideon had of his son. But only time was the truth judge of how Bentley would cope. He knew this all too well working at the police station.
PhotobucketThe service hadn’t even started and already he wanted it to be over with. Not that he wanted to disrespect Emily Roscoe in anyway, she was a lovely young woman by all means and deserved so much in life. Especially a future with his son. But Gideon needed Bentley to start the recovery process and he knew this would be too hard for him to go through.
“This reminds me of Mike.” Daphne spoke.
It chilled Gideon to the core, his wife bringing that name back up. Mostly because it was his fault, he was the one who had asked the man to protect Daphne through one of the worst times in their life. He closed his eyes and said a quick prayer for Mike.
Then he looked at Daphne. “This isn’t like Mike.”
“I have the same feelings that I did with him, Gideon.” Daphne spoke, gripping her husband’s arm. “I don’t know why, it was so long ago, even before Bentley was born. But I have this strange feeling that this is only the beginning. Like something more is going to happen.”
The fear in his wife’s tone was evident. Gideon kissed her forehead and tried to keep his mind clear of anger. Whoever took Emily away from their son, away from their family would pay. Just like Rodney Burnett paid by murdering Daphne’s bodyguard, Mike.
Photobucket“I will find who killed Emily,” Gideon insisted. “I will make them pay for harming our family.”
But Daphne was paying too much attention to their son. There was no reason that Gideon could have a serious conversation such as this with her, not right now. 
“If this is like Mike-”
“It’s not.” Gideon cut-off.
Daphne turned to him. “But if it is. I don’t want to alarm anybody Gideon because I know how much stress our family is under right now. Just do me a favor and keep me informed with what happens.” She licked her lips, “I can’t be left in the dark this time.”
He rubbed her arm. “Alright.”
Photobucket
Scene Four:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens.
Luther Church Chapel; Inside
Dr. David Schmidt watched as the woman opened her eyes. “How are you feeling?”
Photobucket
She tried to get up, but he coerced her to stay in the bed. “Where am I? My head hurts.” With David’s help she was able to sit up straight. “How did I get here?”
“Do you remember your name?”
The woman nodded. “My name is Emily Roscoe. I was on my way to Stone Creek. Last week I was offered a job at Thurlow’s Lumber Mill. I should call Mr. Thurlow, what day is it?”
David Schmidt looked through Emily’s charts as she tried to regain her bearings. “Ms Roscoe, you were involved in an automobile accident.”
“That’s bullshit.”
While standing in front of the group gathered in the chapel, David Schmidt found himself lost in the conversation he first had with Emily in Two-Thousand and Ten. How it had been that long since the brunette crashed her car on the outskirts of Stone Creek? He took a deep breath as he looked out at the guests.
Photobucket“I have never met a young woman like Emily Roscoe,” He spoke out to the crowd, a smirk plastered on his face. “She was like a daughter to me, although it didn’t start off like that. I had told her she was in a car accident when she first came to town and do you know what she said to me?”
He mused. “She said bullshit.”
A couple people chuckled, but none would ever get to know Emily the way that he did. “Remarkable that after spending a week in the hospital unconscious the first thing she was worried about was that she was going to miss her first day at work. How time flies.”
The hurt in his heart was evident. David looked at Bentley and locked eyes if even for a second. “She was in love with you. Emily would come to me time and time again to tell me how much she cared for you. Never was she looking for advice, Emily wasn’t the type to take advice. Emily loved life and it loved her right back.”
Dr. David Schmidt slipped into Emily Roscoe’s hospital room. “It’s nice to see you walking around on your own.” He acknowledged as she made her way back to her bed. “How are you feeling today?”
Leaning against the pillows she sighed. “I’d rather be out of here.”
David smiled. “To tell the truth, I would rather you be out of here too. I’ve got injured patients that need your room and you’ve been doing nothing but causing mischief.” 
The duo laughed. “But seriously, I’m glad you are doing better.”
“I have you to thank.” Emily said, she padded the bed next to her. “I’ve been doing some thinking about after here.”
“Oh yeah?” David asked, sitting on the bed. “What is that?”
“You were telling me about this amazing town called Stone Creek and since I’m here I think I shall explore it some. That coffee place you were talking about--Alice’s Haven? Sounds like a great place to go when I get out.”
David turned towards Emily. “You really should check it out.”
“Do you think it will be hard to fit in here?” Emily asked, her voice giving away her fears. She played with her thumbs. “I don’t necessarily have much family, so I’m kind of a loner.”
“You will get along fine.” David assured her. “I have a daughter your age. Maybe I can arrange for the two of you to hang out?”
Emily chuckled. “Don’t you think I’m a little old for a play date Dr. Schmidt?”
David nodded his head at his mistake. “We all need friends.”
[.....]
PhotobucketScene Five:
Stone Creek; Now Town.
Stone Creek Police Station; Jail Cells.
Photobucket“Shouldn’t you be at the funeral?” Callum Lakhani asked his sister as she approached his cell. “Besides, I didn’t think they’d let you come back here after you tried to break me out during the blackout.” He chuckled. “My sister, the lawbreaker.”
Cassie rolled her eyes. “I was able to pull some strings, but I can’t really be here long.”
“Why aren’t you at that funeral?” Callum asked again, this time looking for an answer.
But there wasn’t much of an answer. Cassie didn’t feel like she knew Emily Roscoe long enough to mourn her, yes her death was awful and when she left herself alone long enough to think about it, it shook her to the core. How could one do such a terrible thing to an innocent person.
Then she thought about when her brother shot her and Miles. It was true, Miles was alright and he has been recovering very quickly. But still, could she think of her brother as horrible as the person that murdered Emily? “I can’t go to the funeral because I couldn’t keep you in here any longer.”
“We need to get you out of here.”
“Not this again.” Callum muttered.
“There’s a real murderer out there now and the police are going to be busy with this case.” She informed him, holding her arms close to her body as the guard stood next to her. “That means if I can get Miles to help me to get you out of here then we do have a chance to free you.”
“I tried to kill you and Miles.”
Cassie shook her head. “I’m going to find out your real motives if you help me or not Callum.”
He sighed.
“Whoever you are covering for, it’s not going to be a cover for long. I don’t care if you want to help me and Miles. But this is going to be the last time you’re in jail. I’m going to help you get your life together after this because Lucian needs his uncle around and I need you more than ever.”
Callum looked at Cassie solemnly. “He will never let this go.”
“Who?” Cassie asked quizzically.
But her brother kept mum.
“You have to talk to me.”
[.....]
PhotobucketScene Six:
505 Auburn Rd., Stone Creek. [Thurlow Cottage]
James & Caitlyn’s Home; Living Room.
“I’m glad you were able to come by.” James greeted, he leaned in to hug Deborah Nelson who slightly kissed his cheek. “Caitlyn doesn’t want to go to the funeral and I can’t make her go. But as Gideon’s best friend I can’t miss this funeral-”
Deborah waved her husband’s friend off. “I understand.”
“Do what you have to do James.” Deborah frowned, her eyes occupied by something else. “How has she been? I can’t believe Emily Roscoe was really Danielle Crenshaw this whole time. Talk about family drama, something out of a soap opera. I can’t imagine how hard this is for Caitlyn, but are you sure you can’t get her to go to the funeral?”
James shook his head.
“Well at least at some point you have to get her to mourn.” Deborah instructed, looking down at her phone. She sent a text and then looked back up at James with a forced smile.
“She’s done that twice already.” James replied. “I don’t think Caitlyn is up to do anything other than sitting in her room and not doing anything.”
PhotobucketDeborah looked down at her phone and then back up at James. “I’m sorry, my mind has been off-track lately. For some reason Frank has been spending more time at the office and less time texting me back about our personal matters. But while I’m here I’ll focus on Caitlyn, rest assured.”
“He hasn’t been texting you?” James asked, his eyebrow raised.
Deborah frowned. “No. Should I be worried.”
“I sent him to Paris to keep me in touch with Thurlow-Jurado Overseas.” James lied, trying to cover up his worry. “I’m sure he has just been really busy analyzing our assets with my mother. When I hear from him I will let you know, okay?”
“Okay,” she looked at him suspiciously, placing her phone in her purse. “You’re not covering for him are you James?”
He shook his head. “Deborah, I have so much things to worry about, covering for Frank would be elementary. There’s way too much other things to cover. I can assure you, Frank is in Paris. I’ll give him a call after the funeral if you’d like me to?”
“Won’t be necessary.” Deborah replied. “I just wish that people would fill me in every now-and-then, that is all.”
Catching James’ eye, Deborah sighed. “I’m sorry, I’m not trying to take this out on you. What goes on between Frank and I shouldn’t be your issue. Thanks for keeping my husband out of trouble though. I really do appreciate you standing by our family through all these years.”
“He wouldn’t leave you Deborah, if that’s what you’re thinking.”
[.....]
PhotobucketScene Seven:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens.
Luther Church Chapel; Inside.
Greta Wilkinson looked out at the group gathered for Emily’s funeral. She watched as David sat near her parents and they thanked him for speaking up for Emily. Although Emily never became a part of their family, it still felt like she was the member they never had.
“Having someone so sure of life as a friend can be intimidating, but she never made me feel out of place.” Greta spoke, as she watched James Thurlow enter the church without Caitlyn by his side. In that moment she knew that there wasn’t going to be a goodbye from Caitlyn today. 
When she was going to get married to Miles and her brother suggested that they make it a double wedding, Greta was still unsure of a lot of things. But having Emily around made it easier, there was confidence in Emily that Greta couldn’t find in herself.
Photobucket“It looks beautiful.” Greta Wilkinson spoke from behind her. “I would have never been able to go for something so risky, myself. But on you,” Emily turned around and hugged Greta, “on you this dress looks amazing Emily. It truly is one of a kind, just like you!”
Emily did a little curtsey and greeted Greta. “You need to go try on your dress!”
“I will, I will.” The other woman smiled, she turned Emily back towards the mirrors and hugged her shoulders. “Just take this in, all of it. Because you deserve this. I know it wasn’t easy on you to have to put your wedding on hold for us, but I just wanted to say thank you.”
Emily gulped. “ Don’t do that, don’t turn this situation around. How is Miles holding up?”
“He’s doing better, I mean he just woke up from a coma so everything is going to take some getting used to.” Greta flashed back to how they tried to get back into their routine this morning. “But the good thing is that Miles is back and now I can marry him.”
“I’m just glad everything worked out, for all of us.” Emily nodded.
She frowned. “Now if only we can find my birth parents before the wedding, that would be wonderful.”
“Has Diem Joplin had any lucky?”
Emily shrugged.
“Well, she is an excellent detective! My parents told me stories of when they were younger and how Diem had helped them with a few cases at the police station. From my understanding, Diem Joplin knows what she is doing, so don’t fret.”
“I don’t know what is scarier.”
Greta frowned. “What do you mean?”
“Finding out who my birth parents are, or finally hearing the answer as to why they gave me away.” Emily replied, reminding Greta how thankful she was to have grown up with both of her parents around. “I just get this feeling, you know. When I’m around certain people.”
“Like your mother for instance, she is such a miraculous woman. She saves people’s lives for a living and I hope that my mother could be like that. Or how warm and caring Caitlyn Thurlow is, you know?” Emily sighed. “What is my mother like? What about my father? It’s silly really.”
“Not at all.” Greta replied. “I’m sure that your mother is every much as kind and caring as Caitlyn or as miraculous as my mother. Your father just the same. There has to be a reason why they gave you up Emily. But from what I can see, they made a huge mistake because you’re one of the most amazing people I know.”
“We have all been robbed of a wonderful woman.” Greta teared up.
[.....]
PhotobucketScene Eight:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens.
Gladys’ Bistro; Inside.
Charlene Sutton sat across from Reichen Calbourne as they ordered their meals from the waiter. Coming to eat at Gladys’ Bistro was becoming more a tradition than anything else and it dawned on her how comfortable she felt being in Sage Gardens. There was never a comfort level being in Now Town around all the ‘richer’ residents of Stone Creek. She was liking being around Reichen.
“I feel so sorry for the Wilkinson family.” Charlene spoke, she took a sip of her water and looked at Reichen. “I know my soon-to-be ex. husband always had bad words to say about their family. But nobody deserves to have this kind of tragedy in their lives.”
Reichen nodded in agreement. “We all share that similarity. Having tiny tragedies in our lives,” there was obviously a hint of sorrow in his words, but he didn’t give Charlene anytime to actually delve into him. “What’s going through your mind?”
Photobucket“I’d trade Emily places any day.” 
He looked at her concerned.
“I’m not going to kill myself.” Charlene replied, hastily. “I just feel that at one point, I wanted to die so bad but I was spared and this young woman, who was so full of life never got that chance. To be spared and let continue her life. I just don’t understand the fairness in that.”
Reichen took Charlene’s hand. “That’s survivors guilt.”
“But my accident had nothing to do with hers.”
“It’s still fresh.” He reminded her. “When you wanted to die but your son, Charlie, saved you. All of your guilt and hatred towards yourself built up Charlene and now having Emily Roscoe die, a woman who very much wanted to live, it’s made you feel guilty for choosing death in the first place.”
She placed a hand over his. “Thanks for being here for me.”
“Most definitely.”
[.....]
PhotobucketScene Nine:
Stone Creek; Now Town.
Stone Creek Ledger; Hallway
“Are you on your way out?” Seth Keeler asked, flagging Leia Joplin down.
She turned towards Seth and smiled. “I was actually headed over to the funeral for Emily.”
“Did you know her?”
Leia shook her head, she had been introduced to Emily through her old friend Bentley and she had also seen her a couple times at her mother’s cottage, but she didn’t actually take the time to get to know the woman. Leia sighed. “Not as much as I would have liked.”
Photobucket“I didn’t think so.” Seth replied, he motioned for Leia to join him outside. “Which makes this easier for me to say. We already ran the store about her murder, but I want to do a piece about her funeral and since you don’t have such close ties, I’d like you to write it.”
“Do you think that’s wise?”
Seth frowned. “Why wouldn’t it be? Marina is already overcome with work, I’ve actually haven’t had a chance to talk to her lately. Besides I think she’s too close to the story and I’ve seen her get emotional over little things. I don’t want this to get messed up.”
He remembered when Marina wrote the article on her step-mother, Caitlyn Thurlow and how much trouble it caused the paper. “Wherever Marina goes, there seems to be some kind of drama to follow.”
Photobucket“I’m not trying to be mean, Mr. Keeler, but I don’t think I should write the article.” Leia replied, she shifted her weight nervously. “Maybe you should ask Marina to write it? I don’t want to start any drama and this seems to be more her style.”
“But I’m asking you to write.”
Leia nodded. “Alright, I’ll write it.”
“Thank you, Hey Leia,” Seth replied, stopping Leia before she could leave his office. “I just want you to know that we are glad to have you on the team. Like I’ve stated before, things have been a little hectic here and it’s nice to have another writer around when needed.”
She smirked. “I’m glad to be back in Stone Creek, I won’t let you down.”
[.....]
PhotobucketScene Ten:
Stone Creek; Cuttlebone Lake.
Thurlow Cabin; Bedroom.
“He’s a good boy.” Frank Nelson spoke, it had been hours since the silence that accompanied them started to feel familiar that the haggard and tired sound of his voice shocked him. He licked his lips hungrily for more words. “Sebastian doesn’t seem to cry unless he’s hungry.”
Lucy looked at her sleeping baby and then back up at Frank. “He used to cry a lot at night when he was first born.” She admitted, staring off into a distance as it was a part of another life she had once lived. He watched her, trying to find familiarity in her voice. “I didn’t know what to do.”
“Well he’s better now.” Frank fiddled with the ropes around his hands. “We’ve been here for days now and I think we could admit that we have spent a lot of time bonding with Sebastian. These ropes are starting to dig into my skin, Lucy, I was wondering if you would untie them.
PhotobucketHer eyes darted to the rope and the red marks along his wrists. Lucy’s eyes were wide in thought, she looked up at Frank. “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”
“Why not?”
She stood up, a woman of small stature, she was now towering over Frank who laid in the bed. Lucy looked at their baby boy as he slept in the crib next tot he bed, then she stepped closer to Frank and looked at the rope again, then his face and back tot he ropes.
“Because you’re ungrateful.” Lucy’s eyes wild with distrust. “I’ve mostly talked. Trying to get you to run away to Germany with us, but you won’t have it. We can’t stay here too much longer Frank and I’m afraid untying you would be foolish of me. So I can’t!”
Frank frowned. “Lucy-”
“Don’t.” She warned, turning away and sitting on the bed. Her head in her hands. “One day you will be grateful to have Sebastian and me in your life.”
He gulped, knowing he wasn’t going home anytime soon. This thought made him miss Deborah even more. Their marriage was never perfect, obviously given his current predicament, but it was so comfortable to slip back into. So easy to love Deborah.
Lucy could never replace Deborah in his eyes.
[.....]
PhotobucketScene Eleven:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens.
Stone Creek Community Park.
“Everything that happened with Patrick,” Charlene spoke as they walked across the park in Sage Gardens. “I feel like I am finally getting over it. I spent 20 plus years with him all because I was afraid of my family's past. It sounds stupid, but at the time, it was all I had.”
Reichen found a place for them to sit, an old bench that over looked the small pond in the center of the park. Charlene sat down first, followed by her newest companion. “When we were younger, Frank and I, we were taught that our ancestors, the first settling Nelson clan once had a huge stake in Stone Creek.”
Photobucket
“What happened?” He asked.
“A couple generations later they started to get careless.” Charlene frowned, looking out at the water. “Before long, they were living in the slopes that were developed for the poor families. Families that came to Stone Creek after the settlement and other families that lost their money.”
She looked at Reichen. “We were told we wouldn’t amount to anything, that the Nelson family was cursed by their own selfish reasons. My father was a hard worker, he tried to re-invent the Nelson reputation in town, but my mother was a wicked woman,” she shuttered.
Reichen put a hand on Charlene’s shoulder, but she brushed it off. “What did she do?”
“She stole money from my father to finance her drinking habit.” Charlene scoffed. “Mary-Jo Nelson died when I was twelve, they found her in a ditch on the outskirts of town. I don’t know exactly what happened, but they said she was highly intoxicated.”
“You’re not like your mother.” Reichen assured her.
Charlene smirked. “Thanks, but I'm not like my father, either.”
Looking out at the pond again, she leaned against Reichen as he held her close.
[.....]
Scene Twelve:
Stone Creek; Sage Gardens
Stone Creek Cemetery; Emily’s Grave.
Bentley stood over Emily’s grave, a handful of dirt in his hands. Although he was there, looking down at the coffin, he still couldn’t believe it. His mind still wouldn’t let him even think it. But the coffin was confirmation of what his mind was avoiding and it was making everything so hard to comprehend.
He let the dirt fall onto the coffin and then he turned to his sister, Greta. 
Greta grabbed her brother’s hand and leaned him into her side so they could rejoin their family. It was the comfort that he felt he was owed but it still didn’t help any. Instead he just leaned there and copied her steps as they walked away from her coffin.
James Thurlow walked up to the coffin with Deborah Nelson by his side. Emily was much more than just his secretary, she was a bright and youthful young woman and she was his step-daughter, by all meaning. Caitlyn Thurlow linked arms with James as they looked at the coffin.
“You won’t regret this.” James spoke, kissing her head.
Caitlyn tried to smile, but the constant dread had overtaken her body. Before she could even manage half a smile a man walked up to them. It was a face that she had never met before, at least not in Stone Creek, but he had this presence, this familiarity.
“Hi,” the man spoke, he offered a handshake. “My name’s John Roscoe.”
The three of them are stunned by the name because it meant that the man standing in front of them was Emily’s adoptive father and that made things so much more real. James recovered the quickest and met John’s handshake. “I’m James Thurlow and this is my wife, Caitlyn.”
“This is a family friend, Deborah Nelson.” James continued, but John was focused on Caitlyn, which caused her husband to stop talking all together. “Is there something wrong?”
John looked at James and then back at Caitlyn. “I remember when your ex-husband brought Emily to us. When Damien brought us Emily, we were so gracious to have her. ”
This caused Caitlyn’s heart to break even more and instantly she regretted coming to the funeral, because Emily was never her daughter, was never raised as Danielle. In that instant Caitlyn realized that she was right to have mourned Danielle years ago. 
The young woman in the coffin belonged to John Roscoe and she always had.
[.....]
Next Time, On Concrete Shelves
+Miles returns to the Police Station.
+Lucy continues to seduce Frank.
+Penelope takes things into her own hands.
+Emmet finds someone keeping a secret...