Friday, February 11, 2011

All Your Reasons

Previously, On Concrete Shelves
  • Gail revealed she had a miscarriage.
  • Ian admitted to sleeping with Marina.
  • Deborah hired Isobel as Frank’s secretary.
  • The birth of Cassie’s baby finally arrived...
[.....]
Photobucket   
[.....]
Scene One:
341 Wallow St., Stone Creek. “Schmidt Home”
David, Helen & Gail’s Home.
    If the coffee cup wasn’t a sign of a restless night, Dr. David Schmidt’s posture was a beckoning call. He sighed as he tried to make sense of his daughter’s pain when she had the miscarriage and how she must have been so scared.
    “It’s five in the morning,” Helen made her way to the fridge. “Don’t you think you should be resting for your shift today? There’s not a doctor in Stone Creek like yourself, you know?”
    David looked at his wife. “I’m fine, just had a lot on my mind.”
    “Does this have anything to do with Gail and what she told you?” David shrugged. “Maybe you need to not focus on what happened to Gail but what you can do now. Besides it’s not your problem to worry about.”
    “Sensitivity?”
    Helen rolled her eyes, timidly watching David as he sat across from her. “You didn’t marry me because I was sensitive. You married me because I tell it like it is. Right now Gail needs the father of her child to help her sort through this mess. Not us barreling down her back.”
    There was something in his wife’s tone that caught David off-guard. He swirled his coffee around as he took in her words. So strong and stable, like instructions to his stressed mind. For once, Helen was making sense to him.
    “Listen I know you want to help her. But maybe focusing on our marriage and how we don’t get to spend any time together these days is the best help you can give her? Show Gail that we can be strong?”
    Taking a gulp of his coffee David smirked. “Why don’t we spend some time together right now? I have a few hours to kill and since I pretty much drank all the coffee in the house, I’m nowhere near tired.”
    “Now I need coffee.” Helen remarked, taking a seat across from her husband, cuffing her hand in his.
[.....]
Scene Two:
Stone Creek Memorial Hospital
Cassie Lakhani’s Room
    “He is going to work for me when he gets older.” James Thurlow spoke, with a chuckle. He could feel his wife’s hand on his shoulder. The rest of the family lay around the room in different stages of consciousness.
    Cassie smiled. “We will think about that Mr. Thurlow.”
    “I’m sure Cassie has her own plans for this beautiful baby boy.” Caitlyn spoke, kissing her husband’s cheek she looked down at the baby. “He is wide awake, so full of curiosity and optimism.”
    “He reminds me of a Thurlow.” James intercepted. “You might not be my blood Cassie, but I have always thought of you as one of my daughters. I just want you to know that we are here for you if you need anything.”
    “Anything.” Caitlyn added.
    Teary-eyed Cassie looked at her baby. “I think right now I’m just trying to collect the moment honestly. I mean thank you guys so much. I have felt like a part of the Thurlow clan more than my own family, really.”
    Marina stirred awake from behind the group.
    “I think we woke up sleeping beauty.” Cassie mumbled, peering over at her best friend. 
    Groggily Marina spoke, “Yeah well, I should get used to it now so that when we bring him home I wont be so disappointed.” The trio watched as Marina found her bearings and made her way to the bed. “Can I hold him?”
    Cassie nodded.
    “Did you decide on a name?” Caitlyn asked as Cassie handed the baby boy over to Marina. She watched as James and Marina took turns entertaining the bundle of joy. “I know it’s so soon.”
    “I was actually thinking about naming him after my grandfather and,” She paused, smiling at how James and Marina were adapting so well to the baby boy. “I was also thinking of giving him the middle name of Henry.”
    This caught their attention. “Really? After my father?”
    “You have all been such a great help to me while I settled into Stone Creek and then again when I lost my job and found out I was pregnant.” Marina brought the baby over to Cassie’s side.
    “Lucian Henry Lakhani, huh?” They all looked down at the baby. “I like the sound of that. You, Lucian Henry, are going to grow up to be a legacy. Just you watch and see.” Marina returned the baby to his mother.
    “I have to get to work.” She begrudged. She could feel the tension between herself and Caitlyn at the mention of the newspaper, but Marina decided to ignore it. “I’ll be back later though, to pick mother and child up?”
    Cassie nodded. “Thanks for everything Marina.”
    A knock at the door signaled Marina to answer it, revealing Clifton Briggs.
[.....]
Scene Three:
Thurlow Lumber Mill Building
Frank’s Office
    Frank Nelson wasn’t one to step-up when he was needed, unless it involved James Thurlow that is. Since James decided to take the last two days off to help Caitlyn Thurlow, Frank insisted he fill his place.
    This was something he was regretting now, as he forgot that James usually worked early in the morning for extended periods of time. For the first two hours he looked over and signed papers that his secretary, Isobel brought to him.
    The only enjoyment was watching Isobel leave, the short skirt she wore today was his saving grace. This was such a distraction that he didn’t hear his wife, Deborah, clear her throat when she entered his office.
    “Frank!” Deborah scoffed, immediately taking a seat in front of her husband and waving her clutch in his face. “Are you seriously eyeing your secretary right now? Some people never change.”
    “It was your idea.” Frank quipped. “Besides there is a difference between watching your secretary walk out of a room and sleeping with that said secretary.”
    Deborah couldn’t believe her ears, had Frank not been listening to her for the past couple months? It out raged her that he could be so pigheaded to her fears. “You slept with one of your secretaries already.”
    “I’ve changed Deborah.” Frank reassured her. “I am committed to you and only you, now what brings you to my office today? Or is it Isobel you wanted to talk to so you can get the low down on how much of a good boy I’ve been?”
    This got a stern look from his wife.
    “You’re ridiculous.”
    Frank leaned forward. “And you are testing me, flaunting a young and sexy woman in front of me hoping to confirm your deepest fears that I am and will always be unfaithful to you. Don’t deny it Deborah. This is all some kind of scheme to prove that I haven’t changed.”
    She didn’t say a word, but just looked away from her husband.
    “Really Deborah? After everything that we have been through you are still looking for ways to gain the upper-hand over me?” Deborah locked eyes with Frank. “Is this some sort of sick game? Making me look like an idiot in front of everyone? I’m sorry you couldn’t have married someone like James and got stuck with me instead!”
    It was a thought that Deborah had entertained many times, but right now she felt as if she did the wrong thing. Sure she wanted to know if Frank would ever cheat on her again. But maybe this time, listening to Helen Schmidt, hiring Isobel was a wrong move. Deborah lowered her head in defeat.
    “Maybe I should just see you at home?”
    “No.” Frank stopped her in mid flight. “We are going to settle this right here, right now! I’m tired of fighting with the woman I love.”
---
Our love. Our fights. Our friendships.
On Concrete Shelves.
Forever, they shall be remembered.
---
Scene Four:
Stone Creek Memorial Hospital
Cassie’s Hospital Room

    “I’m sorry if I’m interrupting anything, I just wanted to have a couple words with Cassie.” He tried to do his best keeping his composure around everyone. Especially as he spotted his baby boy.
    Marina looked back at her best friend who nodded her head. “Okay, well I have to go to work right now. I’ll be back to pick you up later Cass.” She watched as the other’s followed suit. 
    James Thurlow eye’d Clifton suspiciously as he exited the hospital room. Almost as if he was checking the man for any signs of danger. His guard up and waiting for Clifton to make the wrong move.
    “I just-I got a call from Marina earlier.” Clifton let the door close before he walked closer to Cassie and the baby. “Is this him? Is this our son?” Cassie nodded. “I just-he’s so-”
    Taking a deep breath and looking around the room, he noticed how in such a few short hours his life had changed. “He is gorgeous.” A tear fell from Clifton’s eye as he immediately thought of Audrey and how much she wanted this one moment that Clifton was sharing with Cassie.
    “He is.” Cassie responded. “Already he has found a way with the ladies, all the nurses want to hold him and Marina wouldn’t let him go earlier.” There had been so much tension between the two.
    Especially once Audrey found out about the baby.
    Cassie didn’t know what to say to Clifton. If she even could say anything to him. She wanted so much for Audrey to be pregnant with Clifton’s child. She didn’t want to be the one to break-up their marriage, Cassie never asked for it.
    But when she saw their little boy, everything changed. She didn’t think of him as a mistake but as her son, Lucian.
    “Lucian.” Cassie spoke as she watched Clifton grinning at the baby. “I named him Lucian after my grandfather, I hope you don’t mind.”
    Clifton shook his head. “No, that’s a good name.” 
    “Lucian.” He breathed. “I think it is perfect for him. Can I hold him Cassie? Would that be alright if I just held him for a moment?” When Cassie nodded the baby boy to Clifton, she knew everything was right. “Thank you.”
    Cassie smiled. “Take all the time you’d like.” She then looked down at her nails and nervously played with her hands. Building the courage to talk to Clifton about Lucian’s future. “I know we haven’t really talked about the arrangements for him.”
    He looked up. “What do you mean, like visitation?”
    “A lot has happened between us in the last couple months Clifton and I know neither of us felt like this little boy’s parents at one point in time. But I was wonder if you wanted to share visitation of him?”
    It was so much for Clifton to process. There was still everything with Audrey to work out and if she really wanted a divorce from him or if she was just mending a broken heart. Looking down at Lucian and watching his baby boy coo Clifton nodded his head.
    “I would like that.”
[.....]
Scene Five:
Stone Creek Memorial Hospital
Outside

    “Wait one second young lady.” James Thurlow spoke, this caused his daughter to stop in her tracks and turn on her heel. He could tell she was still embarrassed by her actions at the newspaper. But he knew there was something else she was hiding.
    Marina placed her keys back in her pocket. “What’s going on dad? I have to get to work, I don’t want to be late.”
    James nodded. “That man, Clifton Briggs, I already know he isn’t a good guy to be hanging around. Sure he goes to all the town’s functions and has a squeaky clean reputation. But there is more to his story.”
    “I don’t know if it is any of your business dad.” Marina replied, standing up straight.
    “He is only being protective over Cassie.” Caitlyn acknowledged. This caused Marina to soften a little. Most because she didn’t want to cause Caitlyn anymore grief and partly because she knew it was true.
    Swiping some of her bangs out of her face from the on-going breeze, Marina looked at the two she had called her parents for the better part of the decade. “Look, you cannot tell anybody about this.”
    James stiffened. “I don’t like the sound of this.”
    “I didn’t either when I first found out dad.” Marina admitted. “But Cassie is my best friend and right now she needs us more than anything. Clifton Briggs is Lucian’s father. There was a night that Cassie went out, but she didn’t remember what happened.”
    “Did that son-of-a-bitch drug her?” James barked, he looked at Caitlyn who put her hand to her mouth in shock. “Tell me Marina, what did Briggs have to do with any of this? Is he harming Cassie?”
    “No!” Marina assured them. 
    James turned around to barge back into the hospital room, but Marina stopped her father. “No dad, Clifton was drugged too.”
    “How the hell do you know that?”
    She sighed and figured that she had to come completely clean. “Because, do you remember when our apartment got broken into?” James nodded his head. “Well somebody left a note and signed it Inez. Someone is out to get Clifton and Cassie was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.”
    “So you have all been keeping this a secret, why?” Caitlyn asked, she placed a hand on Marina’s shoulder. “This isn’t because we have been dealing with Damien is it? Because if it is Marina, you guys are way more important to us then this Damien fiasco.”
    Marina looked pained. “We didn’t want to alarm anybody really and we wanted to keep quiet about this whole ordeal. Clifton has been looking into what happened and he identified some lady named Inez as the culprit.”
    “What else do you have on this Inez woman?” James ordered.
    She shrugged. “Nothing that I know of. Clifton thinks it is someone out to get him from a bad business advancement. He has been really good with Cassie, dad, he even risked his marriage to protect her.”
    “Still, there is someone out there who can harm Cassie and the baby.” James protested, he looked at his wife and then at Marina. “You should probably head off to work, you shouldn’t be late.”
    “And you?” Marina asked, bewildered.
    “Caitlyn, could you stay at the hospital for awhile and keep an eye on Cassie and the baby? I know we were supposed to spend-”
    Caitlyn cut her husband off, “That’s fine James. I will do everything I can to keep them safe. Just call me if you need anything, alright? Where are you going to go though? You have the day off.”
    “I’m going to talk to Gideon.”
[.....]
Scene Six:
Thurlow Lumber Mill Building
Frank’s Office
    Deborah Nelson looked at her husband. The force of her words registering in her mind. She knew she had screwed up this time and it angered her so. Deborah didn’t mess up much, it wasn’t in her nature.
    “You say you love me Frank, but then you cheat on me with your secretary and you expect me to believe anything that comes out of your mouth?” She could feel the tears wanting to pour out, but she forces them back in. “I know I did a stupid thing by hiring Isobel just to spite you, but do you blame me?”
    Frank sat up in his chair.
    “Don’t treat me like I did something wrong right now Frank. You need to realize that I was hurting when I materialized this plot. I was angry not at you, but at myself for letting you control my dignity like you did!”
    “I’m sorry for that Deborah.”
    She shook her head. “You don’t get to say sorry anymore!”
    “Then what do you want me to say Debbie?”
    Taking a deep breath, she locked eyes with her husband. She wanted so much to just get over the pain that he caused her, but somehow she couldn’t. Every thought that went through her mind went straight back to Lucy Hahn.
    
    “I don’t know.” Running a hand through her hair she started to chuckle in exhaustion. “I have been trying to figure out the perfect revenge on you Frank for so long that I don’t even remember what I wanted you to say.”
    She watched as her husband got up from his chair and walked over to her. “Say that somewhere inside you forgive me Debbie. If only enough to give me a chance to make it up to you. I know I am an insensitive jerk sometimes.”
    Debbie scoffed at the thought. She knew when she married him that Frank was a Nelson and they were known for their own self-pity. It was like some kind of damaged family gene. But that still didn’t give him the right to hurt her in the way that he did. 
    “I can’t lose you Deb, you make me want to be a better person. We are the most dysfunctional married couple in Stone Creek. But you are the only person I want to be with at the end of the day.”
    “Just shut up already.” Deborah sighed.
    Frank scrunched up his face. “Why?”
    Hiding a few sniffles she looked up at her husband. “I want us to go back to who we were when we were younger. I want all this animosity to just be over with. I’m so sick of being tired, and frankly, I’m just tired of being sick.”
    Tilting her head to match their lips, Frank kissed his wife on the lips. “Well then Deb, let’s go back to the beginning, okay?”
    “Okay.” She nodded.
[.....]
Scene Seven:
Stone Creek
    Helen Schmidt growled as she placed her sunglasses over her eyes. It seemed as if mother nature was just messing with her today as the sun glared down on her. Just this morning it was breezing, which meant she had no use for her sweater.
    She pushed it at Mac Kern when she took it off and then turned to him. “Have you talked to Natalie about her next photo-shoot? I am tired of telling her about those hips of hers.”
    “Aren’t you being a little harsh?”
    Glaring at Mac, he went straight to his phone and texted Natalie. “My company as about fashion and what good is having the latest trends if your models don’t fit into the clothes? Besides from what I hear the little brat needs to be knocked off her pedestal.”
    Mac grinned. “I think it is nobel that you defend your daughter without her gratitude.” He responded, keeping up with her. “If only they knew that Helen Schmidt wasn’t always so cold.”
    “Please, you’re making me sick.” She quipped, but deep down she appreciated that he noticed her concern for Marina and her latest break-up. Helen sighed. “Have you seen Gail lately?”
    “Not since our last confrontation.”
    Helen grumbled. “I need her to not tell David that I brought Adrian Stone to the city. If my husband found out about that he would for sure divorce me and I just cannot handle that right now.”
    Mac made a note of this and then stopped in his tracks. “I think you might want to have that little meeting with Gail earlier. She’s over there and it doesn’t look like little ole’ “James Dean” isn’t with her.”
    “Stop naming everyone we come in contact with, will you?” Helen moaned, she then had an idea. “Look, I am going to talk to Gail alone. I need you to head back to the office.” She could feel the protest from Mac. “What?”
    “I have a hot date tonight. I was hoping you would give me the rest of the day off so that I could prepare for it.”
    “You work for me Mac, you don’t get a day off.” She retorted. “You want to prepare for your ‘hot’ date? Go to the office and finish your workload. That way you have money to pay for dinner.”
    “Right.” He spoke, turning on his heel and scrambling towards ‘Now Town’ and HEAT’s headquarters.
    Turning back to face where her step-daughter was, Helen straightened out her outfit, she was going to have to play hard ball with Gail. but she knew deep down if this didn’t work then she was risking her marriage to David.
[.....]
Scene Eight:
Stone Creek Police Station
Gideon’s Office.
    
    Gideon Wilkinson nodded his head to James Thurlow. “He already came to me the other day about his concerns about this Inez woman. But we still haven’t found any traces of her on record.”
    Although he was angry at his best friend for not coming to him first, James knew that Gideon was only following protocol. “But there is something that you can do, right? Cassie Lakhani needs protection from her.”
    “The best I can do is get one of my guys to watch Cassie for a couple of hours a day. The department is under-budget these days. Which can be blamed on your dearest mayor.” James grumbled. “I’m doing the best I can James.”
    For a moment James took in all the information. “I know.” He spoke, lifting his coat from the chair he was seated at when he walked into the office. He looked around, found a picture of him with Gideon and James’ sister, Shannon.
    “I didn’t think you still had this picture.”
    “She meant a lot to me James.” Gideon spoke, James passed the picture back to Gideon as he looked at the trio with grins on their faces. He placed it back on the shelf. “She still means a lot to me. Shannon was a great woman.”
    James agreed. “I can’t let any more of my girls be in harms way Gideon, I hope you understand that and I am going to do everything in my power to keep them safe.” He knew his friend understood. “Anything short of murder that is.”
    “Look James,” Gideon spoke. “We are going to find this Inez woman and we are going to put her behind bars for the crimes she had committed. There is nothing stopping me from helping you protect your girls.”
    “Alright.” 
    Watching as his friend re-collected himself, Gideon placed his hands in his pockets. He knew what James was capable of and what he wasn’t capable of. There were a few times when they got into trouble themselves, but they always came out alive.
    “How is Caitlyn holding up with the whole Danielle thing?” He asked, James turned around. “Have you found anything else out? Do I need to get a warrant against Damien Crenshaw.”
    James shook his head. “It wouldn’t matter. Damien Crenshaw is a very careful man. I doubt he would move any evidence that had to do with Danielle to his new mansion in Stone Creek.”
    Gideon agreed.
    “Diem is still looking through files.” James reported. “She has a couple leads on Danielle’s whereabouts and even if she had her named changed by Damien. But like I said, he is a very careful man.”
    “Well, Diem is a mighty good detective.” Gideon assured him. “If anybody can figure out the truth it is her.”
    James thought back to the times when they were in High School and Gideon was kicked off the football team for no reason. A smile came to his face when he remembered Diem’s determination to find out the truth.
    It turned out that their coach was jealous of Gideon and Shannon’s closeness and used his authority to kick Gideon off the team. It was such a long time ago that he had his reservations that things would ever be that simple again.
    “I hope you’re right.”
[.....]
Scene Nine:
Stone Creek Memorial Hospital
Cassie’s Hospital Room
    Caitlyn peered into the room, making sure that Cassie Lakhani wasn’t asleep. She did have such a long couple of days that Caitlyn didn’t want to disturb her rest. But Cassie looked wide-eyed at Caitlyn so the older woman carried on.
    “I brought you some cookies from the cafeteria.” She insisted, Placing the napkin full of chocolate chip cookies on the side table next to Cassie. “Well, truthfully I snuck them up here.”
    The both shared a mutual laugh. “Thanks, right now I need something that feels a little like home.” She grabbed a cookie and began munching on it, she then looked at Lucian and smiled.
    “You’re lucky that he sleeps a lot.” Caitlyn informed her, she placed a hand on his back and then covered the newborn baby with his blanket. “This will give you some time to recover and then prepare yourself for being a mother.”
    Cassie’s face fell, she placed the rest of the cookie down. “What? Is it something I said? I didn’t mean to upset you honey, I’m sure you will be a great mother. No need to prepare.”
    “It’s not that.” Cassie replied. “It is just so weird still. There was so much I had planned for myself and I just don’t know how to deal with not completing all those things. When I’m with Lucian I feel complete. But when he is sleeping-”
    Caitlyn placed a hand on Cassie’s shoulder and kissed her forehead. “You don’t need to put all the weight on your shoulders honey. There are many people here to help you with Lucian, you heard what James said. All those things you wanted to do, you can still do them.”
    Cassie looked at her son, sleeping so soundly. It was everything she had wanted for the last couple months. But it did scare her that she was now the protector of another human being. A little defenseless human being.
    “You know the fun part in all of this?”
    “What?” Cassie asked, snapping out of her thoughts.
    “You get to do all those things and then come back home and tell this little boy about it all. He will be a pro at life because he has a mother so intent on exploring the world. This little boy doesn’t know how good he has it yet.”
    Tears streamed down Cassie’s cheeks. “I know I shouldn’t ask you this, I know that it is a very delicate question,” Cassie wrestled with herself to continue, but Caitlyn informed her that she should ask the question. “How did you know you were doing everything right with Danielle?”
    Caitlyn was mentally preparing herself for the question so she didn’t need much time to recover. She thought for a moment and then looked at Cassie. “I didn’t know. I was scared as any new mother would be. But I knew that I was doing my best to care for her and knew that that was the best I could do at the time.”
    “I hope she is alive and I hope she understand what a good mother she has.” Cassie replied. She then took another cookie, this time sharing the meal with Caitlyn as they found other topics to keep them company.
Scene Ten:
745 W. Lavender St., Stone Creek. “Old Granger Manor”
Damien & Gillian’s Home.
    There was a knock at the door and it caused Damien to lose all concentration at the task at hand. Clearly he knew he was doing much as the day passed by but it still angered him that someone would disturb him while he was working.
    Tugging the double doors open he looked surprised at the young woman before him. He knew this time would come when they would meet face to face, especially after his conversation with Gillian the other day.
    He watched as she just stood in place, as if she were a scared little girl. That was exactly what she looked like, a scared little girl. “I’ve been expecting you.” He spoke, inviting her into his home.
    “You were?” She asked, still stunned. Her eyes never leaving Damien as he showed her the way to the living room. “I mean, of course, you are engaged to my friend Gillian. I’m sure she already told you.”
    Damien turned to face her. “Listen these stories about me that you have been hearing lately. A lot of it is just damn irrational. It seems that once you piss off one person in this town you become the town pariah.”
    She gulped, stood in place and waited for Damien to motion for her to say something. “Are you really my father?” Abigail Jenkins didn’t know what else to say. Sure she believed Kevin when he had told her.
    The man had no reason to lie to her. “I mean I know it sounds so crazy, but it can be completely true. If you want to take a paternity test of anything, then I am willing to do it.”
    He watched her. She seemed so agile and overcome with emotions. Slowly Damien walked up to Abby and then took her in his arms. “No need to take any tests Abby, you’re a spitting image of my Danielle.”
    “I don’t know what to say.” She cried.
    Damien pulled away. “How about we just sit down and have some coffee first. I think there is a lot that we need to discuss and a lot of things that need to be explained to you. I’m so sorry for the way things had to go.”
[.....]
Scene Eleven:
Stone Creek
    “I’m sure its not a pleasure to see you today.” Gail Schmidt spoke, through a bite of her sandwich. She placed the meal down on a napkin and the faced Helen again. “What is it that you want to talk to me about?”
    Helen looked sickly at Gail. “You’re very smug today.”
    “Your armor is cracking Helen.” Gail replied, she offered a seat next to her. But Helen declined. She would show Gail that her armor wasn’t cracking. “I’d like you to know that your little stunt bringing Adrian back to town backfired.”
    “No, it actually didn’t Gail.” Helen replied. “I was hoping that everything would work out between yourself and Adrian. Let’s face it, I want your father to myself and you being all depressed and such would get in between our precious time together.”
    Gail chuckled, she didn’t think her step-mother would try to pull the carpet over the whole situation. Rolling her eyes she looked back at Helen, covering her eyes from the sun that seemed to protrude from behind Helen.
    “This isn’t over yet Helen.”
    “I have no idea what you are talking about.” Helen retorted. Gail leaned back on the bench with a wide grin. “What the hell is so funny to you Gail? I’m sick and tired of all this power play.”
    “Then do me the favor Helen and stop playing this game. You want me to stay out of my father’s life. I know you told your little backpack to find Adrian and bring him back to Stone Creek in hopes that I would leave, devastated.”
    Helen grew angry. “You’re twisted Gail, but hey, lets play this game. So what if I wanted you out of town. We all know that your father would side with me over you any day.”
    “Would you like to try him?”
    “I will protect your father’s money from you and your grease ball of a boyfriend any day Gail. The last time you left town you hurt your father to no end, this time you won’t do the same thing.”
    “See that is where your plan backfired Helen.” Gail remarked. “Adrian Stone and I are on good terms again and I’m not going anywhere. So if this is a power play for my father’s money. Then please Helen, play.”
    “You’ll be sorry.” Helen growled, grabbing her things and storming away.
    Gail sat back in her seat, how could Helen Schmidt think she could scare Gail away so easily. Gail didn’t want her father’s money like Helen had originally thought. Rolling her eyes once again she sighed.
    But she was now playing a childish game with Helen and she knew that if she didn’t win then Helen would.
Scene Twelve:
Stone Creek Ledger
Outside
    Marina Thurlow wasn’t exactly enjoying her new job as freshman editor of the paper. It seemed more like a desk job every day and less being out on the field. Especially now that her boss was throwing more random work at her.
    As if the day wasn’t hitting the right end, she had to keep ignoring phone calls from Ian because she didn’t know what to tell him. Marina hated what she was doing to him since he had treated her nicely.
    Looking up she found Natalie walking towards her. “Great.” 
    “I need to talk to you.” Natalie barked, folding her arms. “How could you be such a bitch and do that to my brother Marina? I thought you were such a low-life before but now? You’re worse.”
    Pushing past Natalie, Marina need to avoid the whole conversation. But Natalie wasn’t having it, she tugged Marina’s arm and caused her to almost lose her balance. “We aren’t done here.”
    Anger getting the best of her Marina shoved Natalie. “We are so done here!”
    She hadn’t mean to push Natalie, but there was only so much that she could take. Marina pulled herself together and turned around once again. She knew she deserved Natalie’s anger towards her on separate levels.
    “You’re such a fake.” Natalie growl.
    Marina turned around. “I’m such a fake? Who the hell was trying to steal my boyfriend when I was still with him? Look, Natalie what I did to your brother, and Ryan, for that matter. It was wrong.”
    “Damn straight!”
    “But right now, I can’t deal with you!” She barked, Marina stepped closer to Natalie. “You have been a thorn in my side since you moved to Stone Creek. I thought it was because you wanted to be my friend at first, but then you kept trying to sleep with my boyfriend.”
    “At least someone wanted to.” Natalie spit, the hurt in her face evident. “Now Ryan is gone, he left town because of you and I didn’t even get a chance to say goodbye to the only friend I’ve made here.”
    Marina rolled her eyes. “You would make more friends if you weren’t such a bitch to everyone.” Shaking her head, she knew it was the end of the conversation. So she backed away from Natalie and fished out her keys.
    Leaving Natalie to collect herself.
[.....]
Scene Thirteen:
1509 Mango Ln., Stone Creek. “Briggs Home”
Clifton & Audrey’s Home.
    After the long day at Clifton had he didn’t want to deal with anything else. The fact that he met his first born child and it wasn’t his wife Audrey’s was tearing him in two on the inside.
    The talk he had with Cassie was so deep that he almost felt as if she was asking more from him than to be a part of their son’s life. But he wouldn’t let him think about that, not while he was still married to Audrey.
    Sorting through the mail, Clifton stopped at one addressed directly to him.
    His heart dropped as he knew what the papers inside the envelope where. Taking a deep sigh, Clifton leaned against the door frame to his home he previously shared with Audrey.
    She was actually divorcing him and she wanted more than half of everything he owned. He folded the papers back up and tried to sort through his emotions. He was ready to give Audrey everything that she wanted, but he didn’t think she would want as much as she was asking for.
    Audrey was never one to be so cruel. closing his eyes Clifton entered the home and closed the door behind him. It was so cold inside the huge house that he now wanted to warm up with a bottle of liquor.
[.....]
Next Time, On Concrete Shelves
  • Frank plans a romantic night with Deborah.
  • Charlene reaches out to Patrick.
  • Catalina reveals a new plan.
  • Abigail finally meets her mother...