Friday, December 17, 2010

Somewhere Trouble Don't Go

Previously, On Concrete Shelves
  • David threatened Adrian at Alice’s Haven Cafe.
  • Cassie gave Clifton an out from the pregnancy.
  • Adrian informed Gail she ruined their relationship.
  • Caitlyn tells Damien she needs her daughter...
[.....]
Photobucket    
[.....]
Scene One: Old Granger Manor; Damien’s House
    “I didn’t think you would show up.” Damien Crenshaw spoke of his skepticism, mostly to avoid greeting his ex-wife, Caitlyn Thurlow. Inviting her in Damien looked her over. She was as stunning as ever.
    “How has Stone Creek and that powerful husband been treating you?” He asked, causing a rise in Caitlyn’s attention. “It must have been lady luck that your boss fell in love with you.”
    “This isn’t why I’m here Damien.” Caitlyn spoke, turning to face him.
    Damien smirked. “Come on Cate, we haven’t seen each other in a long time. Don’t you want to catch up? Get to know one another again? It has been a really, really long time.”
    She could feel him crawling under her skin and it caused shivers down her back. “I don’t want to catch up Damien. I want to find my daughter.”
    “I get that Cate, I really do.” Damien replied. “But that is a conversation we need to work our way into.”
    “Do you not understand Damien? Our life together ended years ago when you told me our daughter had died. It doesn’t get to start again. We don’t get to become friends! We don’t get introduced to the families Damien.”
    “Why not?” Damien asked, “My new family is molding to be perfection.”
    “Where is my daughter?”
    Noticing that he now officially has the upper hand, Damien straightens up with a devious smile. “She’s here Cate, here in Stone Creek.”
[.....]
Scene Two: Stone Creek Memorial Hospital
    With the morning routine’s out of the way, the now senior technician, Gail Schmidt was ready for her lunch. It was weird for her to leave the hospital. Since she had spent so many days and nights there. But today she needed to get away.
    Slipping out of the doors Gail came face to face with her father. A small smile slipping onto her face as she wrapped her arms around his neck. “I feel like it has been months since I last saw you.”
    “With the way both of us have been working, I can see the extent to that.” David replied. “Are you on lunch right now?”
    Gail shook her head.
    “How about we both go to the cafeteria and share a lunch together before my shift?” David said, holding the glass doors to the hospital open. He could see the hesitation in his daughter’s eyes. “What’s wrong?”
    “I kind of wanted to have lunch away from the hospital if you know what I mean.” A small smirk approaches her lips. “But if you insist then I can go into the cafeteria with you.”
    David looked around and spotted an old willow tree in the lawn. “I have a better idea.” He spoke motioning towards the tree. “Wait over there while I go inside and grab us some lunch?”
    Gail nodded. “I think that is something I can do.”
[.....]

Scene Three: Sage Gardens; Alice's Haven Cafe
    Noticing her little sister’s best friend sitting alone, Kirsten Sutton took it upon herself to greet Cassie Lakhani. It felt like it had been forever since they both sat down and had a conversation.
    Kirsten also took notice at the baby bump that Cassie had been developing. It wasn’t a surprise to Kirsten as Marina Thurlow had told her everything. “You look like you can use another cup of tea.”
    The words caught Cassie off-guard as she looked up at Kirsten. A small smirk reassured Kirsten that she was right. Cassie pushed the cup towards Kirsten who generously re-filled it.
    “I haven’t seen you in awhile but I know when Cassie Lakhani isn’t in her usual good spirits.” Kirsten started, sitting across from Cassie. “Is there anything you want to talk about? Any new mommy stories? or questions?”
    At first Cassie shrugged it off, there really wasn’t much to tell or ask. But then everything came rushing to her when she remembered that Kirsten had to take care of Megan Sutton alone for the first year.
    “When does my back stop hurting?” Cassie asked shamefully.
    Kirsten chuckled. “It never stops.”
    Cassie took in the information with a worried look.
    “But it gets easier. I mean the morning sickness goes away after your second trimester. Your feet are going to swell and your back will start burning if you sit down too long. You wont fit into your jeans no matter how hard you try.” Then Kirsten’s eyes gleam over. “But it gets easier.”
    “I’ve taken a liking to sweats.” Kirsten shook her head intensely.
    “That’s a good choice.” Although Kirsten could tell that Cassie was starting to feel better, there was still a little matter she never cleared up with Marina. “Have you told the father yet?”
    The look on Cassie’s face told Kirsten all she needed to know. “I don’t mean to pry Cass, but do you know who it is?”
    The hesitation was quickly noted in Kirsten’s mind. “I told him that I didn’t want him to get involved. I mean it was a really big mistake, one that neither of us remembered making.”
    “But he is the father.”

---
Our love. Our fights. Our friendships.
On Concrete Shelves.
Forever, they shall be remembered.
---

Scene Four: Thurlow Lumber Mill Building; James' Office
    “Didn’t think you would be the type to skip out on lunch.” Diem Joplin acknowledged, dropping a bag of take-out on James Thurlow’s desk. “Good thing I ordered for you. Frank said you hadn’t taken a lunch yet?”
    James took a deep breath as he questioned wether to kick Diem out of his office or let her continue her visit. She had food and he was famished. “I’ve just been busy. We are thinking of expanding our international business.”
    Diem absorbed the information. “How is your sister, Shannon, doing these days?”
    “Pretty good.” James only stopped long enough to answer Diem, he then returned to his paperwork. 
    Had Diem never had any experience working with James Thurlow she would have taken this as her cue to leave. But she was stubborn and determined to get her ex. boyfriend to eat something.
    “I haven’t really heard from Caitlyn lately. I mean on the whole Damien Crenshaw front.” Diem spoke, studying James’ body movement. “We talked a couple days ago about Danielle.”
    “I’m really busy right now Diem!” James spoke, it was more a declaration than a statement. He was taken back by his own anxiety that he sat back in his chair for a minute. Looking at Diem he smirked. “I’m sorry.”
    She took a seat in front of him.
    There was no way that Diem was going to let James go without eating, he knew her to well so he figured the easiest thing to do would be to give in. “Okay, what do we have for lunch?”
    “Glad you finally caved.” Diem declared, reaching into the bag to bring out lunch. “I was leaning a little towards the chicken side but instead I brought you a platter from the diner down the street.”
    “The Bus Stop?” James grimaced. “Do you know how many food violations that sleazy diner has had in the past month?”
    “Oh where is your sense of adventure?” James chuckled at her response. “Besides I couldn’t remember how you liked your chicken. With Caitlyn talking to Damien right now I just figured you could use a distraction.”
    “Thanks.”

[.....]
Scene Five: Old Granger Manor; Damien's Home
    Caitlyn couldn’t wrap her head around what Damien had just told her. “Here?” She asked, for about the third time. “Here in Stone Creek? You really are sick aren’t you Damien?”
    She tried walking away from Damien, but he stood between her and the door. “Hear me out Caitlyn. I know how much you want to see our beautiful daughter so please hear me out on this one.”
    It was her weakness. It burned Caitlyn that he knew her weakness’.
    “I have a little proposition for you.” He urged, but she pulled away. “As you know after you left town and stopped returning my phone calls-”
    Caitlyn cut him off. “You were harassing me Damien, I had change my number and don’t even think I forgot about what happened in Nashville! I practically had to enter the witness protection program just to get rid of you!”
    “You are being a little melodramatic don’t you think?” Caitlyn rolled her eyes. “Listen, just listen will you!? I need a favor from you and in return I will give you information on where to find our daughter.”
    “What do you want Damien?”
    He creeped up behind Caitlyn and brought his lips to her ear. She braced for the contact between the two. “I’m running out of money.”
    Caitlyn pushed him away. “Why doesn’t that surprise me! Is this some kind of blackmail attempt to get your greasy hands on my husband’s money? I won’t be apart of your crazy ideas!”
    “Not your husband’s money!” Damien retorted. “My future father-in-law’s money. We all know he has the biggest sack in this town. Gillian and I are engaged remember?”
    She shifted her weight. “How could I forget? That poor girl doesn’t even know the real you. I feel sorry for her.”
    The comments barely touched Damien. “The plan is simple. I marry Gillian and then take her money and before I skip town I give you the information you need to find our precious Danielle.”
    Caitlyn became intrigued. “Your plan is ludicrous.”
    “Stop naming rappers and follow me.” Damien ordered, but he turned back around when he didn’t gear Caitlyn following. “What now? Are you growing some sympathy in your garden of greed? You want your daughter. Your new family hates everything Sutton. It’s a very easy trade.”
    “You’re pathetic.” Caitlyn seethed as she marched past Damien and led the way into the next room.

[.....]
Scene Six: Sage Garden's; Alice's Haven Cafe
    “Look, Kirsten it is complicated.” Cassie spoke. “This all happened so fast I just couldn’t put all the weight on him as well. Besides I can do this on my own, you did for a good while.”
    Silence broke between the two as Kirsten looked for an easy way to help Cassie. She knew that she was scared, as was Kirsten when she first became pregnant with Megan. There was a hardened shell around Cassie now. Kirsten wanted to be careful not to lose the girl’s trust.
    “Things with Charlie and I were intense to say the least.” Kirsten started, Cassie shifted in her seat. “You are fully aware of the feud between the Sutton’s and the Thurlow’s. Because of that we were forbidden to see each other. So when I got pregnant I was petrified.”
    “Is that why you passed Megan off as your ex. boyfriend Kent’s child?” Kirsten smiled as she was reminded of her childhood antics. “Because you were afraid you would cause more problems?”
    Kirsten nodded. “I was young and not thinking straight. All I’m saying is make sure the father is informed about the baby and let him make his own decision. Who knows he might surprise you and want to help you.”
    “Thanks.” Cassie responded. She then noticed the time and jumped to gathered her things. “I’m late for my doctor’s appointment. I’m so sorry to rush out on you like this. Thanks for everything Kirsten.”
    “No worries Cass, if you need anything else I’m here for you.” Kirsten rubbed Cassie’s back as the two parted ways. Kirsten had to double back at the almost collision of Cassie and Adrian Stone though.
    She watched curiously as the two maneuvered around each other. Folding her arms she found herself face to face with Adrian. “You better not be making trouble in here again.” She kidded.
    “Wouldn’t dream of it Kirby.”

[.....]
Scene Seven: Stone Creek Memorial Hospital
    It had bothered her for some time. It could be linked to the first day that she introduced the two and it just exploded from there on out. Gail Schmidt looked at her father as they shared lunch underneath the willow tree.
    As much as she didn’t want to ruin the moment, she knew that she needed to. “Why do you hate him so much? I just need to know this for my own personal gain daddy. Why is it that you cannot get along with Adrian?”
    David Schmidt sighed. 
    “We have been over this before Gail.”
    “But we haven’t discussed it. Not like this dad, not head on.” She watched as he already started monitoring the conversation. “There has been this underlying animosity between the both of you for years.”
    “He took you away from me for ten years Gail!” David retorted. “How about we start with that? When your mother died it was up to me to take care of you and I wasn’t going to let you get hurt by some stupid boy.”
    “He didn’t take me away.” Gail spoke. “I left.”
    “I know.” David responded. “We have already been over this Gail. You already told me you left because of Helen and I not agreeing with your relationship with Adrian. We were hard on the two of you.”
    “Have we not learned from the past?”
    Obviously there was too much to think about, the duo went silent. What was supposed to be a nice bonding moment between a father and daughter turned into an awkward lunch.
    “How do I protect you from getting hurt by this man again Gail? I’ve tried to think of ways to keep you safe but it seems everything I do just backfires.” Sitting up Gail watches David’s expression. “You are my little girl.”
    “I still am.” Gail admitted. “But I need to make my own choices. You want to protect me? You want to keep me safe? You have to learn to let go first daddy. Let me make my own decisions.”
    “I can try.”
    Gail smirked. “Good. Could you please not pick fights with Adrian while he is in town anymore?”
    “You heard about that?” David asked sheepishly.
    “Kirsten told me.” David lowered his head in defeat. “It’s Stone Creek daddy, word travels fast here. People watch our every move.”
    “I guess you’re right. I’m sorry.”
    Gail leaned her head on David’s shoulder. “It’s okay.”

[.....]
Scene Eight: Sage Garden's; Alice's Haven Cafe
    “I didn’t know little Cassie Lakhani was pregnant.” Adrian acknowledged as he sat at the counter. Kirsten found her way behind the counter and fished him a mug of coffee. “She seemed distraught when she left though.”
    Kirsten shrugged. “She’s just having a bad day Adrian. What about you? You seem to be in one of those contemplating moods.”
    It was now Adrian’s turn to shrug and he did so in the most overly dramatic way possible. “How far along is she?” Kirsten shot Adrian a look. “I mean with the pregnancy she doesn’t look too far along.”
    “Are you suddenly interested in dating my younger sister’s best friend?” Kirsten asked, grabbing her own cup of coffee and putting it to her lips. “I’m pretty sure she has other things on her plate than to accept a dinner invitation from you.”
    “So she was distraught.”
    “Adrian please tell me what this is about!” Kirsten encouraged, placing her mug on a coaster. “You come to town unexpectedly, picking fights with Dr. Schmidt. Making his daughter Gail cry and now you are interested in a pregnant Cassie Lakhani?”
    “Did David say I made Gail cry?” Adrian asked, his heart dropping.
    Kirsten sighed. “Everyone knows about the fight you two had. About the baby.”
    “You’re all gossips, this whole town.” Adrian snarked, hiding his expression behind his mug. “Things between Gail and I are intense and yes it has everything to do with the baby.”
    “I’m so sorry to hear about it.” Kirsten apologized.
    “It’s fine Kirby.” Adrian shook his head. “It’s just so weird to not even know your fiancee was pregnant and then to find out she lost the baby. I think I need more than coffee for this one.”
    “Maybe you need to talk to her again? You’re not the only one in this situation, you know?” Adrian agreed. “But enough about that. Where have you been staying? Have you found a job yet?”
    Adrian eyed Kirsten suspiciously. “What are you up to?”
    Kirsten looked up at the ceiling. “I need to rent out the room above the cafe. My last tenant left a couple weeks ago and money is tight right now. Especially with the hotel still in it’s early stages.”
    “Always trying to make a dime.”
    “Always trying to find hidden motives.” Kirsten bit back, a smirk as she walked away from Adrian Stone to tend to another customer.

[.....]
Scene Nine: Clifton & Audrey's Home
    Audrey Briggs opened the door to see Cassie Lakhani standing in the doorway, she found herself exasperated at the unexpected visitor. “Did my husband forget to pay you again?”
    Cassie shook her head. “I need to ask him something.”
    She almost had forgotten that she lied to Audrey about working for Clifton Briggs. But quickly she caught back onto her lie. “It’s about my shift tonight, his phone was off. I’m sorry to bother you.”
    “I’ll go get him for you.” She spoke, hesitation in her voice.
    Standing in the doorway to Clifton’s home, Cassie’s heart was pounding. Everything that Kirsten told her earlier was making sense and since Clifton offered to help her out. Cassie felt as if she should at least let him help her out.
    She needed all the help she could get.
    “Cassie, what are you doing here?” Clifton asked, concern in his voice. “Audrey still thinks you work for me I see?”
    “I’m sorry about that.” Cassie spoke.
    Clifton shrugged it off. “It’s fine, we can deal with that another time. What’s going on? Is the baby alright? Have you had any contact from this Inez woman?”
    “No it isn’t that.” She placed a hand on her stomach. “I was wondering if the offer was still on the table. If you still wanted to help me take care of this child. I can’t do this on my own. I thought I could.”
    “We can’t talk about this here.” Clifton hushed her. “I have to go back inside to my wife Cassie, don’t tell anybody about this. We will discuss it at another time. For the mean time, stay away from my house.”
    Cassie caught herself in confusion as Clifton shut the door on her. Who was she to think that Clifton would drop his wife to play knight in shining armor with her? She turned away even more lost than before.
    Not noticing Audrey glaring at her through the living room window.

[.....]
Next Time, On Concrete Shelves
  • Greta feels bad about giving the house to Damien.
  • Bentley and Emily have dinner.
  • Helen has a few choice words.
  • Marina has to make a decision...