Friday, December 17, 2010

Reason's Why

Previously, On Concrete Shelves
  • Adrian told Gail about Helen and Mac’s plan.
  • Damien bought the Old Granger Manor from Greta Wilkinson.
  • Emily agreed to give Bentley a shot.
  • Marina has pushed herself into working...
[.....]
 Photobucket   
[.....]

Scene One: Stone Creek Ledger
    Thinking about what Ian Kiefer had told her about waiting until she was ready, Marina couldn’t help but smile. He was really trying and she knew it would only be time before she could full accept it.
    But today wasn’t the day.
    She could feel the warmth of the heater itching at her neck as she pulled her coat off. Walking towards her desk, Marina slipped into her chair and looked over the editorial picks for the week.
    “We need to talk.” Came a voice from behind her. 
    Turning around Marina smiled at her boss. “Sure.”
    “Listen I have been looking over your work and I think I have the perfect story for you to cover. I’m not one to get into the gossip side of reporting but I’m sure you are aware of a certain scandal going on right now.”
    Marina perked up at the mention of a ‘scandal’. “Is this going to be informative to the audience or are you just looking to grab some more readers?” Marina grimaced. “I do want to know how this involves me though.”
    “You’re close to the source.” He spoke. “If you write this article you will be looking at some sort of promotion. This could be something big for you Marina and since you’re just an intern you know this offer doesn’t come around often.”
    The intern took a deep breath. “Hit me with it.”
    Her boss licked his lips. “Sources tell me that your step-mother recently found out about her presumed deceased daughter.”
[.....]
Scene Two: Callahan Condos #12; Miles & Greta's Home
    Something was under her skin.
    Greta Wilkinson has spent weeks trying to figure it out. There were a few occasions where she snapped at her boyfriend Miles Fowler. But they have been few and in between. She rolled over in bed and found herself wrapped up in the sheets alone.
    “Miles?” Greta called, lifting herself up.
    The thought that they could co-exist in the same living quarters brought a smile to Greta’s face. since she knew they were both different people. This was far different then skin tone. Different as in preferences.
    Miles liked wool blankets in the winter. Greta preferred a silk comforter. In the morning, Miles always woke an hour before Greta did, mainly because he needed to pee and then his morning exercises. While Greta loved to just linger in bed for awhile.
    They were so different and yet they couldn’t stand being apart. “Miles are you in the bathroom?” She asked, slipping out of the bed. She made a motion for her robe but then remember that she wasn’t sharing an apartment with her brother or Ryan Bauer anymore.
    Standing in the doorway she watched as Miles Fowler tuned his guitar. Miles was one of the few in Stone Creek who was musically inclined. Greta couldn’t hold a note if it was the last thing she did.
    “I made breakfast.” Miles spoke without looking up.
    Greta cocked her head. “How’d you know I was here.”
    This caused Miles to turn around and smile at his girlfriend. “How can I not know? I get this feeling in the bottom of my stomach every time you enter the room.”
    She blushed. “I’m so glad I made the decision to move in with you.”
    “I am too.”
    Walking over to Miles, she reached for the guitar and sat right next to him. “Can you teach me something? Anything? I feel very musical today.”
    Miles nodded and began showing Greta the different cords.
[.....]
Scene Three: Thurlow Lumber Mill Building
    “I get out of work at five.” Emily Roscoe spoke, all at the same time she was looking through some paperwork for her boss, James Thurlow. Being his secretary proved a challenge as she hardly had a break.
    This was something that Bentley had complained about. But he understood that she had to do her job. Well at least Emily felt that he understood. “No you don’t need to change the dinner reservations for a later time. Eight is fine for me.”
    This was their third attempt to have dinner with each other since they started talking. Emily found the paper she was looking for and pulled out her phone, texting Frank Nelson with the conformation. 
    “Bentley, why do you worry so much?” Emily asked over the phone. When she received Frank’s reply, Emily stapled some papers together and put them in a manilla folder. “You know I want this to work out. There is nothing I want more than to see you tonight, things will be just fine.”
    Emily looked up to see Isobel Cortez in front of her. The two smiled knowingly at each other as Emily handed over the folder to Isobel. She then stopped her and scribbled a confirmation number on a stick note and pressed it onto the folder.
    A thumbs up later Isobel was on her way back to Frank’s office. “Bentley I think we should talk about this later. No you are right, not over dinner. Maybe afterwards? I’m really busy right now.”
    “I know.” She smiled. “Thank you.”
    James Thurlow emerged from his office and locked his attention on Emily. “Emily, has Frank seen the finances for the international project?” He asked, messing with his tie out of nervousness.
    Emily nodded. “I just sent them to him Mr. Thurlow.”
    “Thanks.” James replied, “You’ve been such a great help around here.”
    “Not a problem.” Emily said, turning her attention back to the ringing phone. “Thurlow Lumber Mill, this is Emily Roscoe speaking.” She spoke with such skill that she was able to think about what Bentley said over the phone as well.
    She just hoped she would be out of work before their eight o’clock dinner reservations because she didn’t know how long Bentley could wait for her.
---
Our love. Our fights. Our friendships.
On Concrete Shelves.
Forever, they shall be remembered.
---
Scene Four: Sage Garden's district
    “Has Gail been acting strange to you?” Helen Schmidt asked her personal assistant, Mac Kern. She sent him to spy on her step-daughter in case the younger woman was thinking about spilling the beans.
    Once Helen realized that Gail knew about Helen’s involvement in bringing Adrian Stone back to town she knew she jeopardized herself. Especially since her husband, David warned Helen away from Gail.
    Helen walked down the street as she talked to Mac. She found that being on the move was exactly what she needed to calm her nerves. “What do you mean she has been in the pharmacy all day? I know she is  a work-a-holic, but seriously?”
    “No, no don’t bother her.” Helen looked both ways before crossing the street. Then she spotted one of the women she had been avoiding like the plague. “Mac let me call you back, keep me informed about Gail.”
    “Well, if it isn’t the town pity case, nice to see you today Caitlyn.” Helen spoke, the cockiness of her words sticking to Caitlyn’s posture. “How are things going with finding your daughter?”
    “As if I would ever discuss that with you.” Caitlyn spoke, shifting the bags in her hands. She looked to cross the street, but that option wasn’t available so she turned to Helen. “Have you talked to your daughter recently.”
    Helen sighed, “You know the answer to that.”
    Caitlyn smirked. “Well just so you know they are both doing fine without you to mess with their lives. Oh and little Megan is growing up so well. You should sneak Mac into Kirsten’s house to steal Megan one of these days. That’s the type of scheme’s you think up, right?”
    “Don’t you ever think because you’re off playing victim in this town that you can talk to me like that.” Helen seethed. “No wonder why your first husband faked your daughter’s death. You’re always so fragile.”
    Caitlyn rolled her eyes. “Why did you fire Cassie Lakhani, Helen?”
    “I didn’t fire Cassie as if it’s any of your business!” Helen scoffed. “I can’t have a pregnant model! Her contract is on hold right now. I’m not a complete bitch. Once she pops out that bastard child she will be my number one model again.”
    “I’m glad you’re so sentimental.”
    Caitlyn took the flashing green hand as her cue to cross the street and left Helen Schmidt behind.
    “Don’t get hit by any cars today!” Helen hollered, looking around at the pedestrians and then grumbling at the confrontation. She needed to find out what Gail’s deal was. Helen didn’t need another plot to unravel right now.
[.....]

Scene Five: Stone Creek Memorial Hospital
    “Hey, mom do you have a second?” Greta Wilkinson asked as she spotted Daphne Wilkinson in the ER. “I asked one of the nurses if you have any surgeries scheduled for the next hour.”
    Daphne smiled. “I have time to talk to my only daughter.”
    The younger Wilkinson felt relief as her mother motioned for Greta to follow her into one of the lounge rooms. “Greta, are you alright? You seem like something is bothering you. What did you want to talk about?”
    Greta looked at Daphne. “I did something really bad.”
    This was a new conversation for Daphne. She didn’t think she would ever hear her daughter say those words. Although she knew nobody was perfect, the conversation it seemed they were going to have just seemed too foreign to her.
    “Wrong?” Daphne tried to comprehend.
    Greta nodded. “With everything going on right now I just tried to put it to the back of my mind. I know I’m not the one with the biggest problems right now. I can’t even comprehend what Caitlyn is going through.”
    “She’s had a tough break these last couple weeks.” Daphne admitted. She moved behind her daughter and rubbed her shoulders. “You can tell me anything Greta. I’ve always been an ear to you. How is Miles treating you?”
    She beamed at the mention of her boyfriend’s name. “Miles has been wonderful to me! Everything is going so well between the two of us. I think I’ve finally found the one. this morning he taught me a few cords on his guitar.”
    “Guitar?” Daphne asked. “Are the two of you starting a band now?”
    Greta smirked. “No, it’s just a hobby of his.”
    “That’s good Greta. Sharing each other’s hobbies is a very good sign. It means he feels comfortable around you.” Daphne noticed the worry in her daughter’s eye. “Is this about Miles or is it about something else?”
    “I was the one who sold Damien Crenshaw the Old Granger-”
    Daphne waved her daughter off. “Don’t go there.”
    “You don’t understand, if I would have turned him down then maybe he would have stayed away from town?” Daphne could tell that Greta was thinking long and hard about her decision.
    Daphne handed Greta a cup of water. “Damien Crenshaw was gunning for Caitlyn Thurlow way before he purchased the Granger Estate. It has nothing to do with you Greta.”
    “Look, honey I think you need to stop worrying about Damien and keep yourself busy with something else. Have you given anymore thought about creating your own agency? What does Miles think of that?”
    Greta knew her mother was right, but her mind was still too guilt ridden.

[.....]
Scene Six: Thurlow Cottage's; James & Caitlyn's home
    Marina placed her keys on the hallway counter as she walked into her father’s cottage. She knew that James Thurlow was still at work so she didn’t have any intention of seeing him.
    Caitlyn walked into the hallway on her way to the kitchen. She stopped in her tracks when she saw her step-daughter. “Marina? Oh hi!” Quickly she embraced the younger woman. “What brings you by?”
    “I just thought I would come by and see how you were doing.” Marina explained, her discomfort was hardly being contained. “How are you doing?”
    “I doing as good as I could.” Caitlyn replied, letting her guard down. “I was actually on my way to the kitchen, I bought a couple little christmas decorations for the house this morning. Do you wanna help me?”
    “Decorate the house?” Marina asked, taken back. “Uh, if you want me to sure. What are we doing today? I didn’t see a tree in the window on my way up here.”
    Marina followed Caitlyn Thurlow into the kitchen as she spotted the bags. A few decorations was an exaggeration but Marina felt a little more comfortable knowing that someone was in the christmas spirit.
    “Your father insisted that he wanted to get a tree for us this year.” Caitlyn informed her step-daughter. Caitlyn paused when she noticed Marina dazing off. “Are you alright Marina?”
    Marina snapped out of it. “I’m fine.” She explained, to tell the truth her boss’ proposal was at the back of her head. She forced a smile as she thought of everything she would be putting her family through.
    “I’m glad you’re part of the family.” Marina said, looking through the bags of decorations. “Really Caitlyn, you’ve been more of a mother to me than my actual mother has been in recent years.”
    Caitlyn walked over to Marina and gave her a long and heartfelt hug. “Anything for this family.”

[.....]
Scene Seven: Thurlow Lumber Mill Building
    James Thurlow emerged from his office once again and called for Emily’s attention. His secretary stopped what she was doing and looked up at James. “Is there anything I can do for you Mr. Thurlow?”
    “Yes.” James spoke, he walked up to her desk. “Did you get me a list of that contact sheet?”
    Emily searched her desk for the list and handed it to him. “I put it in order from timezones so that you could plan the perfect conference meeting. Mr. Nelson already signed off on the finance papers.”
    He looked the list over and nodded his head. “Good.”
    Turning to leave, James walked back towards Emily and smirked. “I heard you had plans tonight with a certain Bentley Wilkinson?”
    Emily blushed. “It’s not until later. We have reservations.”
    “Well if you’re finished with everything  you are free to go Emily. You’ve done a very great job today and the Wilkinson’s are good people.” James motioned for the door. “Go on, I’ll take care of everything from here on out.”
    “Thank you Mr. Thurlow.” Emily gathered her things together. Scribbling on a couple posted notes and sticking them to some folders. She looked back up at James. “I’ll be back first thing in the morning.”
    James Thurlow nodded his head in agreement.

[.....]
Scene Eight: Stone Creek Memorial Hospital
    Walking out of the pharmacy, Gail Schmidt didn’t have time to react to being pulled into the nearest room. “What the hell is going on?” She questioned, but upon seeing her kidnapper she frowned. “Is this really necessary?”
    Helen Schmidt cringed. “I don’t want to have this conversation but it is one I need to have with you.” She told her step-daughter. “I already know you know my part in bringing Adrian to town.”
    Gail folded her arms. “So it’s true.”
    “Don’t play a fool here Gail.” Helen retorted. “I know Adrian told you about me sending Mac to go get him. I hope you understand that this was for your father’s benefit. You just came back out of nowhere and wouldn’t tell anybody where you’ve been.” 
    “It’s my life Helen, I have every right to keep my own secrets.” Gail replied, irritation sitting in. But she tried to keep her composure since she was still at work and on the clock. “But really, you keep telling yourself that you wanted to keep dad safe. Go ahead, try to explain to him when he finds out.”
    “He won’t believe you.” Helen seethed.
    “And he will believe you?” Gail scoffed. “You’ve weaseled your way into so many peoples lives. Your own children wouldn’t believe you! It’s pathetic that you think you’re so above everyone else.”
    “Go ahead Gail, tell your father.” Helen encouraged. “Tell him how you left town so that you could be with Adrian and then proceeded to make one stupid mistake after another. How does it feel to have Adrian hating you now?”
    Gail challenged Helen, not backing down. “How about I show you when my father turns on you? you don’t hold the cards here Helen, I do. Don’t you forget that.” Pushing past Helen, Gail exited the room.
    Helen needed a new plan.

[.....]
Scene Nine: Callahan Condo's #12; Miles & Greta's home
    Walking into the apartment, Greta Wilkinson placed a couple of shopping bags on the floor near the hall. She was on her way to the kitchen when she noticed lights coming from the living room. 
    “Hey Miles, are you home?”
    There was no answer so she slowly walked into the living room. Hoping that is was nothing and that Miles had accidentally left the lights on when he left for work that morning. 
    Instead she found her boyfriend on the couch with nothing on but his guitar and candles surrounding him. Greta was puzzled but at the same time turned on. Slowly she walked closer to him. “What are you doing?”
    “Your mom called me earlier.” Miles admitted. “She said I should plan something to take your mind off the Old Granger Manor.”
    Greta amused the plan. “She told you about that?”
    “Your mother just cares very deeply about you Greta. For what it is worth, I care the world about you and I know it wasn’t your fault that Damien came to town. But you do need a distraction.”
    “So you’re trying to seduce me?” Greta asked, slipping out of her shoes and joining Miles Fowler on the couch. “Is this the distraction that you wanted to plan for me?”
    Miles shrugged. “I don’t know, is it working?”
    Greta nodded as she leaned in for a kiss. “Yeah, I think it just might be.” There were no words between the two as they explored each others bodies. The guitar placed against the coffee table.
    Trying to clear her mind from her worries, Greta closed her eyes as Miles kissed her neck softly. He was everything she needed right now. Opening them she peered out the window to see tiny flakes of snow falling.
    It was the first snow of the season. It was the perfect distraction.

[.....]
Scene Ten: Sage Garden's; Sisyphean Restaurant
    As Bentley Wilkinson ushered his date, Emily Roscoe into the restaurant. He couldn’t help but notice as the snow began to fall. It was going to be a perfect night, he could tell already.
    “I’m so glad that James let you go home early.” Bentley spoke graciously, the two found their seats at a table set for two. The lights in the restaurant dimmed for the ever romantic occasion.
    Emily nodded in agreement. “I was surprised.”
    “Can you believe that you almost didn’t give me this chance.” Bentley spoke up, gleaming at Emily. “I can’t believe that I stood you up on our first date. From here on out I will do everything I can to make it up to you.”
    “I like the sound of that.” Emily teased. “Mr. Thurlow speaks so highly of your family when I’m around. Have your families been close for sometime now? He doesn’t really mention anything else.”
    Bentley nodded. “My father and James Thurlow have been friends since grade school. They have been through a lot together. My father, Gideon, once dated Mr. Thurlow’s sister, Shannon. But that is another story.”
    “Well it is good to have people in your corner.” Emily beamed. “I’m glad that Lucy Hahn thought of hooking us up all those months ago.”
    Bentley grew red at the mention of his past hook-up partner. “Yeah, she knows chemistry, that one. You don’t talk much about your past. I mean I know you’re trying to do this whole ‘fresh start’ thing.”
    Emily hung her head. “It’s just very personal for me. I don’t have such a big support group like you do. Coming to Stone Creek I was overwhelmed by the closeness of the community.”
    “We’ve all grown up with each other.”
    “I know.” Emily sighed. “I’m finally feeling like Stone Creek can be my home. It’s starting to feel like I’m a part of something. I’m finally feeling like we are turning into something.”
    Bentley smiled. “I’m glad I’m not the only one.”
    He reached and grasped Emily’s hand, she squeezed back. Full of nerves, but anxious to see what happens next.

[.....]
Next Time, On Concrete Shelves
  • Audrey voices her concerns with Clifton.
  • James get’s his family together for the holidays.
  • Damien sneaks Gillian a ring.
  • Charlene explodes with anger over dinner...