Thursday, July 8, 2010

This is How A Heart Breaks

Previously on On Concrete Shelves...
+ Frank asked Lucy to leave town and he ended their affair.
+ Marina stumbled upon Cassie's pregnancy test.
+ Kirsten and Charlie remain on different sides on talking to Patrick Sutton.
+ Ian kissed Marina goodbye when she told him she had a boyfriend...


[.....]

Photobucket


[.....]






Scene One: Nelson Home
    “I know what you are doing.” Deborah Nelson spoke through gritted teeth, she slipped into the room while her husband Frank Nelson wasn’t looking. He found that she was doing a lot of that lately.
    Frank frowned. “Clearly I don’t know what you are talking about Debbie.”
    “Lucy Hahn.” Deborah spoke, from her position in the room she knew she had struck a cord. “I know our marriage has been anything but stable lately, but getting rid of your mistress like that-”
    “Nothing was going on Debbie!” Frank lied, he didn’t know why he was still lying to Deborah. As soon as he told Lucy she had to leave town, he knew Deborah would say something. “I love you.”
    “Then show it.” Deborah spit, she watched Frank as he moved around the room. “Show that you still love me Frank. Stop chasing skirts around the office.”
    Frank stopped in his tracks. “What do you want me to do? Deborah, what do you want me to say?”
    For a moment she hadn’t thought of a follow up plan. Instead she stood there, blocking the entrance to the room deep in thought. What did she want Frank to do? For so long she wanted him to stop sleeping with Lucy Hahn and now that he sent her out of town--what was she doing?
    Deborah shook her head, tears rolling down her cheeks. She was so angry at herself for being so angry for so long. To tell the truth, hearing Frank tell her that Lucy was moving to Sunset Valley made so much pain cease.
    Then she realized what she needed to do to cement herself as Mrs. Frank Nelson. “I want to pick your next secretary.”
    “What?”
    She straightened her body as she became more confident with the request. “I want to pick your next secretary and this time it is going to be a guy. Helen has a male secretary so I don’t see why you can’t have one.”
    “You trying to turn me gay?” Frank scoffed.
    Deborah gasped as the question about his affair was confirmed. There wasn’t more that she could say and although she thought she prepared herself well enough for the truth it hit her like a ton of bricks.
    Her husband watched as the words caused Deborah to crumble onto the couch. She was always so adamant about everything that when he finally broke her he too felt it. Frank sat next to Deborah.
    The tension they had lived in for months blown out the windows. “You can do whatever you want.” He spoke, finding it difficult to pull Deborah into a hug, Frank rubbed her back as she cried.
[.....]
Scene Two: Stone Creek Apartment’s: Greta, Bentley & Ryan’s Home
    Marina Thurlow opens her eyes to see a cup of coffee being placed on the side table, there wasn’t any confusion of who’s room she was in since she had been spending the last couple days with Ryan Bauer.
    There just wasn’t any way she could look Cassie in the eye without accusing her of being pregnant. But the view of her boyfriend Ryan Bauer roaming around the room in his boxers wasn’t a bad reason for sleeping over, either.
    “I can’t find my wallet.” Ryan spoke as he watched Marina wake.
    “If you cleaned your room, I think you’d have a better chance.” Marina replied, leaning her tired body against the wall and pulling the cup close to her lips. “Did you check your work pants?”
    Ryan turned to the crumbled pair of pants and reached in the pocket. “I think you should sleep over every night. Then I would never lose anything.” Ryan said climbing back into bed.
    Marina chuckled as he kissed her neck, she barely had time to slip the cup onto the side table before the were locking lips. “What do you have planned today?”
    “Work.” Ryan responded. “My boss Ian has been working me hard.”
    The name was enough to freeze Marina. The woman didn’t know how to react to the name Ian, especially since she kissed one only a couple nights ago. Her heart began to beat faster as she tried to control her movements. This was something Ryan noticed and he wrapped his arms around her. “Are you alright?”
    “Fine.” Marina replied trying not to flash back to the kiss she shared with Ian. “I was just thinking that that ruins my plans of us going to breakfast.”
    Ryan, unaware of the lie, began to rub Marina’s back. “Well, why don’t you go to breakfast with Cassie? You haven’t exactly mentioned her name in the last couple days and I think you two need to catch up.”
    “I don’t know.” Marina replied. 
    To tell the truth, she didn’t even know what to say to Cassie about her possible pregnancy. The two have barely exchanged words lately and since Cassie had been busy with the re-shoots Marina was sure Cassie didn’t notice the distance.
    “She’s your best friend.”
    “How do I ask her if she is pregnant?” Marina asked. “If I ask her and she says yes then I don’t know what else to say to her. I don’t know how to deal with my best friend being pregnant. If she says no then I might as well shove my foot in my mouth.”
    Ryan kissed Marina’s neck. “The only way to figure out the truth is to ask Cassie.”
    Marina sighed. “You’re probably right.”
    She turned around to look at Ryan. How she found a man that could solve any of her problems in seconds was beyond her. Marina leaned in for another kiss from Ryan. This time a longer, deeper kiss.
    This time one that didn’t feel like Ian’s.
[.....]
Scene Three: Sage Gardens: Hoffman Village: Apartment #34 Ian’s Home
    “So I went by your work and they said you were here.” Natalie Marlowe spoke, she slid her shades to the tip of her nose as she watched the man before her. “Since when did Ian Kiefer call in sick?”
    Ian undid the locks on his apartment door and let Natalie in. “You look like hell.” She spoke, dropping her bag beside the couch. “Tell me Ian Kiefer, what has got you playing hooky?”
    “It’s nothing.” Ian replied and although it wasn’t the truth he wanted to believe it. “Just allergies.”
    “I don’t believe you?”
    “Why do you always poke your head in my business?” Ian snapped. “Aren’t you a model or something? Shouldn’t you be taking half-naked pictures of yourself?”
    Natalie was taken back by Ian’s attitude, normally he wasn’t one to snap so easily. Ian was the calm one when it came to the duo. Natalie was the abrasive one and Ian always had a plan to calm her down.
    “If you really want to know.” Natalie spoke. “I got replaced for the shoots.”
    “Oh.” Ian softened. “I’m sorry.”
    Natalie shrugged. “It’s fine. I have so much more things to do with my day than take half-naked pictures of myself anyways.” A smile crept onto her face as she looked at Ian. “How about ice cream and reruns of the Golden Girls?”
    “Do I look that depressed?” Ian asked.
    “I don’t know who she is, but today is definitely a day to ditch the diet and join me on this couch.” Natalie patted. “But first get the ice cream. Do you have chocolate chip?”
    “Only rocky road.” Ian responded.
    “Damn you for siding with the rest of the world against me.” Natalie moaned as she reached for the remote. “At least scoop out the marshmallows for me?”
    Ian chuckled. “Anything for the princess.”
    As she searched Ian’s recorded shows for her favorite episode Natalie responded. “Thank you big brother.”
---
Our love. Our fights. Our friendships.
On Concrete Shelves.
Forever, they shall be remembered.
---
Scene Four: 980 Faustino Cottages #7: Charlie & Kirsten’s Home
    Kirsten Sutton watched as her daughter Megan ran to Charlie Sutton and jumped into his arms. Something inside of Kirsten brightened her whole attitude at the scenario. “I took her to visit my dad this morning. She is starting to act just like him, it’s spooky.”
    Placing her bag on the kitchen counter, she looked at Charlie as he watched his daughter climb the stairs to her room. “Your father takes good care of her.”
    Kirsten could feel the pain in Charlie’s words and it only made her feel worse. “I don’t want it to be like this.” 
    Charlie looked at Kirsten confused. “Be like what?”
    A sigh emerged behind Kirsten’s tired frame. “If Patrick would come around, he could spend time with Megan too. I don’t have a problem with even allowing her to stay over there.”
    “I do.” Charlie replied. “Until he accepts this marriage, they don’t get to see their granddaughter.” 
    “Think of your mother Charlie.” Kirsten spoke. “Charlene doesn’t deserve not to see Megan because of our father’s and their massive egos. I mean, Megan even gets to see Helen on holidays!”
    The pain in Charlie’s eyes wasn’t enough for Kirsten to stop pushing the subject. “I just think Charlene deserves to see Megan.”
    “Can we just talk about something else?” Charlie asked, slipping into the kitchen to grab a soda. “Anything but my father shunning our marriage would be a fresh breath of air.”
    For a moment Kirsten wanted to challenger her husband, but she bit her tongue when she could hear Megan stomping down the stairs. “How about Gillian? When was she coming to town again?”
    “The Founders Ball?” Charlie questioned, the tension still filling the room. “Can we talk about something other than my self-absorbed sister? If anything I am glad Megan is taking after your father at least he has accepted us as husband and wife!”
    “Charlie.” Kirsten whispered, motioning towards the entrance to the kitchen. Standing behind him was Megan, confused at her father’s outburst. 
    “C’n I have some water?” She asked in the mousiest voice she could muster.


[.....]
Scene Five: Sisyphean Restaurant
    “What am I supposed to do?” Deborah asked as she forked her salad. It took her a couple hours to regain her composure after her argument with Frank this morning. “If he thinks that things are going to be easy from here on out, he has another thing coming to him!”
    Helen frowned. “Then divorce him.”
    “That seems to be your advice for everything.” Deborah acknowledged. 
    Helen shrugged. “It works.” She of all people had proof of that. “Divorce Frank and get all his money in the settlement. I’m sure the man has some money hidden away in some back account. Take it all. Start over with someone new.”
    Deborah discarded the idea. “Women like me don’t divorce.”
    “What are you trying to say?” Helen scoffed.
    “Nothing! It’s just that-”
    Helen began to laugh. “Relax Debbie I am just yanking your leg. Look I understand your model citizen bullshit and I won’t be upset if you stay married to Frank because of some stupid social standing. Just stop crying about it.”
    “I’m not crying.” Deborah protested.
    “Then you must be Deborah’s spineless twin, the old Deborah wouldn’t approve of the way you are running her life.” Helen spoke, she watched as Deborah Nelson took her words into consideration. “You didn’t spend the best years of your life getting a psychology degree for nothing, did you?”
    “No.” Deborah spat.
    “Good.” Helen smiled smugly. “Do something about it. Get even.”


[.....]
Scene Six: Sage Gardens: Alice’s Haven
    Marina Thurlow sat across from her best friend in the first time in days and she still didn’t have anything to contribute to the conversation. For thirty minutes she listened to Cassie Lakhani talk about the photo-shoots.
    “Everything is fine with Ryan now.” Marina spoke, her words forced.
    “That’s good!” Cassie replied, taking the bait. “But then again, you’ve been staying over there for the past few nights. I figured everything was fine.”
    “I’m sorry about that.”
    Cassie shook her head. “Don’t be. Whatever the two of you were going through, it needed to be sorted out. I’m just glad that you are working through it.”
    “But I don’t think we are.” Marina responded, it seemed so much easier to talk about her own problems than to mention the big pink elephant in the room. “I mean, we are fine but sometimes I think about somebody else.”
    “I told you it’s alright to fantasize about Edward Cullen.” Cassie teased.
    Marina sighed. “His name is Ian Kiefer and he kissed me.”
    Now it was Cassie’s turn to be quiet. 
    “I was headed out of house and Ian came over to see me and he kissed me.” It felt good to tell somebody else other than her reflection about her last couple weeks. “I don’t even remember if I kissed back, but I wanted to. I met him a couple weeks ago in the park when I was jogging.”
    “Marina.”
    “What?”
    Cassie put a hand on her friends hand. “You have to tell Ryan.”
    “I know. I was going to tell him, I really was but then I found the pregnancy test in the bathroom and it freaked me out that you might be pregnant!” It was one of those moments when your mouth didn’t get the message not to mention certain words like: pregnancy tests and your best friend being pregnant.
    Immediately Marina looked up at Cassie who turned away. “Are you?”
    “Am I what? Pregnant!” Cassie was full of shock and rage. “Is that why you have been avoiding me? Because you didn’t want to accuse me of being pregnant? Do you think I’m that fragile that I would just fall apart?”
    “Are you?” Marina spoke again.
    Cassie took a couple seconds to catch her breath, she knew by this point that everyone was looking at them. For a second she wanted to deny it, but she felt it inside of her. “I am.”
    “Why didn’t you tell me?” Marina asked in a much friendlier tone.
    “Because I’m scared.” Cassie admitted. “I’m scared of this thing growing inside of me.”
    Marina clutched her friends hand. “I’m here for you Cassie. We are in this together, okay?”
Scene Seven: Thurlow Lumber Mill Building: Patio
    “I’m glad I could finally catch you on lunch.” Ryan Bauer greeted his best friend Bentley Wilkinson. It felt like they hadn’t talked in months even though they both live in the same apartment.
    Bentley sat at the table across from Ryan. “Dude, do you always have to be so gay?” He joked as he tore open his box of take out. “But you’re right, it does feel like it has been awhile. How is Marina? She’s been staying over a lot.”
    “Things are finally back to normal.” Ryan beamed.
    “Well I am glad you’re getting laid again.” Bentley spoke. “Grumpy, brooding Ryan was getting over played in the apartment. Even Greta was being affected by it. Don’t worry though, I think that boyfriend of her’s is thinking about popping the question.”
    “Really?”
    Bentley nodded his head.
    “That’s great news. Miles is a nice guy and I think Greta deserves a guy like him.” Ryan replied, remembering the times when he used to sneak into Greta’s room to hide their blossoming romance, but that was years ago. “What about you?”
    “What about me?”
    “I haven’t heard much about that Lucy girl you were hung up on.” Ryan spoke, the casual mention of Lucy was enough to cause Bentley to turn red. “What’s wrong?”
    Bentley shrugged. “She left a couple days ago for Sunset Valley. Something about a transfer and she didn’t even tell me she was leaving. So much for a casual hook-up before she booked it out of town.”
    “I’m sure there are other women around here.” Ryan spoke just as Emily Roscoe walked out into the patio. “Who is that?”
    Bentley turned around to see Emily wave at him, his face turned red as he waved back and turned to Ryan. “That is Emily. She’s your father-in-laws secretary.”
    “He’s not my father-in-law!” Ryan protested. “Why haven’t I heard of her? She seems to have taken a liking towards you.”
    “Taken a liking towards me?” Bentley asked. “Dude, you are gay!”
    “Shut up!” Ryan chuckled. “So what is her story? The two of you look like something is going on.”
    Bentley refreshed about his encounter with Emily at the office. “She’s interesting and we are planning on hanging out soon.”
    “That is good!” Ryan replied. “Where are you going to take her?”
    “I don’t know.” Bentley replied, he hadn’t really thought about it. Usually he just took his dates to a club and bought them drinks all night. But Emily wasn’t the type of woman you took to a club. “She’s the type of woman you take out to dinner at a place like Sisyphean.”
    Bentley turned around to see Emily talking to a couple of other workers. He hadn’t really given any thought of where he’d want to take her, but Bentley knew he wanted to take her somewhere.


[.....]
Scene Eight: 




Thurlow Cottage-James & Caitlyn’s Home
    “Hey Kirsten, when you come back into the living room can you bring that cookbook I’ve been wanting to show you?” Caitlyn Thurlow’s voice wrung out. It had been a constant reminder of normalcy for the past couple years.
    To Kirsten, having Caitlyn around wasn’t such a horrible thing. There were days when she couldn’t agree with Caitlyn on anything she did, but then there were days like today when Caitlyn felt more like a mother than her real mother, Helen.
    The younger woman appeared with the book in hand. “Is that recipe in here? I was trying to cook the other night but it came out terrible. Charlie ate everything on his plate, but I think it was only so my feelings wouldn’t get hurt.”
    Caitlyn smiled and although she hated to pry she asked, “How are things with Charlie and you?”
    She could tell that Kirsten had a troubled look when she came over to visit. James took Megan to the park so the two of them could spend some time together. He did that when he knew a mother-daughter bonding moment was necessary.
    “They’re not bad.” Kirsten spoke, she tried to find the words that wouldn’t put a dent in Charlie’s character. “I just think everything with his father has finally started to weigh down on us.”
    “How so?” Caitlyn asked.
    Kirsten shrugged. “Well, earlier today we were arguing about how Charlie refuses to let his mother, Charlene, see Megan because of Patrick. I think it’s becoming this big mess.”
    Caitlyn understood what Kirsten was talking about. Ever since she married James Thurlow, it seemed like her sight of Stone Creek was split down the middle. The side of town that James resided in and the higher more luxurious side where Patrick stood.
    “What is it do you think should happen? As far as Charlene is concerned?” Caitlyn asked, she knew Kirsten had an opinion. Kirsten always had an opinion. “Would you rather her see Megan?”
    “Honestly?” Kirsten asked more to herself than Caitlyn, “I just want what is best for Megan. I want Megan to grow up in a normal family. Not like when we were kids. I want her to know both sides of the family.”
    “You’re a good mother.” Caitlyn spoke.
    Kirsten smiled. “When I first found out I was pregnant I didn’t think I would be a good mother!” She chuckled when she remembered back to the past. “I was such a mess and so much drama. I thought I was going to make nothing but mistakes.”
    Caitlyn remembered the adolescent Kirsten as well, she rubbed her step-daughter’s shoulder for support. “Honey, being a parent isn’t all about sheltering your children from your mistake or cleaning up their mistakes. Being a parent is teaching them that mistakes are normal, fixing those mistakes is where the gold is.”
    “So what should I do?” Kirsten asked.
    “I think you know exactly what to do.” Caitlyn replied, she then started flipping through the cook book to show Kirsten the recipe from earlier. 


[.....]
Scene Nine: Sage Gardens-Outside of Alice’s Haven
    Slipping out of Alice’s Haven, Marina Thurlow pulled her carrier-bag over her shoulder. She had been working on the latest assignment from the newspaper after her lunch with Cassie and the deadline had her mind wrapped in a fog.
    The second she turned the corner she slammed right into Ian Kiefer, spilling his coffee all over his shirt.
    “Oh my god!” She yelped, trying unsuccessfully to help him with his dilemma. But Ian just chuckled the stain didn’t seem to worry him. This she gathered and shyly looked away. “I’m such a klutz when I’m thinking about work.”
    “That’s fine.” Ian replied. “I was just on my way back home anyways. We ran out of rocky road ice cream so Natalie sent me on an errand. I think she just wanted a moment to cry over her favorite Golden Girls episode.”
    “Golden Girls?” Marina asked, conflicted as to why he was sharing the information with her. Marina focused on the bag in Ian’s hand that was carrying said ice cream with a grimace. He was with Natalie.
    “Yes. Golden Girls, it is kind of a guilty pleasure of ours. Don’t tell anybody I said that?” Ian responded, only half-kidding. “I think Natalie likes for people to think she is this tough girl on the outside.”
    “You and Natalie are friends?” Marina asked, slipping into detective mode.
    Ian nodded. “Been for years.” He watched Marina’s face scrunch up. “But not like that! There has never been any sexual feelings between the two of us. It is just mutual friends, nothing more.”
    Marina chuckled. “It’s okay Ian, you can have girlfriends.”
    There was something in him that broke and Marina could see it. “She’s not the type of girl I chase after. Natalie is a nice girl, but I like girls that are driven and smart.”
    Marina knew the statement was towards her. She knew that Ian’s perfect girl was probably herself, but she tried not to think about it, just like she tried not to kiss him. “It’s nice to know not all men are falling over Natalie.”
    “Never fallen.” Ian declared. An awkward chuckle was shared between the two. “How are you?”
    “Good.” Marina spoke. She then looked at his shirt and the stain that was only getting bigger. “It is only getting bigger. I really am sorry about that. If I was watching where I was going, this whole catastrophe could have been avoided.”
    “It’s not a catastrophe.”
    The words caught Marina off-guard. “What?”
    “The shirt.” Ian caught himself. “It’s just a shirt, no harm done.”
    Catching Ian’s eye Marina nodded. There was something about Ian Kiefer that attracted her to him. She couldn’t quite put it, but she couldn’t stop staring at his lips and how they were on hers not that long ago.
    “Are you alright Marina?” Ian asked, feeling awkward.
    She shook out of the trance with a smile. “Yeah, I’m fine. I actually have to go. I’m meeting some friends for drinks.” Marina made certain to leave Ryan’s name out in case it roughed up feathers between the two men.
    For a moment they stood there, stuck in what seemed like an awkward hug. His smell caused Marina to come alive with arousal. But instead she shook his hand, a blush in her face. “I’m sorry about your shirt.”
    Ian chuckled. “You said that already.”
    “I know,” Marina responded. “But I honestly don’t know what else to say.”
    As the two lingered in their phase of goodbye, possibly for good. Natalie Marlowe folded her arms across the street. Ian wasn’t answering his phone so she thought she could catch him before he left the store. She wanted a chocolate bar. But watching Ian and Marina interact heating Natalie up. 
    There was more to their story and she knew they shared more than just a handshake.







[.....]






Next Time on On Concrete Shelves...
+ Dr. David Schmidt wants to work things out with his wife Helen.
+ Natalie is on a mission to learn the truth.
+ Greta Wilkinson is confronted with a proposition.
+ Kirsten has a heated conversation with Patrick Sutton...

Previous Episode | Home | ForumNext Episode ]