Thursday, July 1, 2010

Learn You Inside Out

Previously on On Concrete Shelves...
+ Cassie learned she was pregnant and accused Clifton Briggs of rape.
+ Frank tried hiding his affair with Lucy but chastised his sister Charlene about her affair with Kevin.
+ Emily Roscoe was finally released from the hospital.

Photobucket

[.....]

Scene One: Hollyoak Manor: Patrick & Charlene's House
    Frank Nelson chuckled at the ideas his sister was trying to form in his mind. Had he not already had his morning serving of coffee with Deborah, Frank would clearly need one. “Can I ask you something? Are you crazy Charlene? Like really, should I be worried about your health?”
    “This isn’t funny Frank!” Charlene bit, placing her drink on the bar.
    “Oh, you are so right about that Char, this is far from funny.” Frank spit, he watched as his sister moved the glass between her hands nervously. “Do you not understand that once your husband finds out about this year long affair he is going to file for divorce so fast you wouldn’t even know what hit you!”
    Charlene placed a finger to her mouth. “Will you be quiet?” Looking around the room to see if any of the doors were open, she turned back to her brother. “Patrick will not find out.”
    “I’m not lying to him.” Frank announced.
    Although Charlene knew Frank was never the type to tell the truth she also knew that Frank was afraid of Patrick and the rest of the Sutton family. Slowly she paced around the room. “You don’t have to lie to him Frank, just don’t let the topic come up in conversation.”
    “Break things off with this mystery man.”
    Charlene shook her head. “This is the first time I have ever felt loved Franklin. I am not going to let him just pass me by. Besides he is already divorcing his wife so we can spend more time together.”
    Frank scowled. “Do you know how stupid you sound right now?”
    “You’re not allowed to throw rocks in a fragile house!”
    “That’s not even the correct saying!” Frank quipped. He wanted to pick up the bourbon that Charlene served him hours ago and throw it against the fireplace in frustration but it seemed a little too dramatic for his liking. Instead he finished off the glass. “You need to tell him.”
    “Mom?”
    Charlene turned towards the door as her son Charlie Sutton’s voice emerged into the hall. She looked back at Frank and gestured for him to stay quiet and then called Charlie into the room.

       “Hey sweetie.” She spoke, pulling him into a hug. “How are you? I feel like I haven’t seen you in quite sometime. How are Kirsten and Megan?”
    Charlie kissed his mothers cheek. “If dad would let them step foot inside this house you wouldn’t have to be asking me that question all the time, you know?” He then saw an awkward Frank Nelson standing to the side. “Good morning uncle Frank.”
    “It’s nice to see you Charlie.” He responded through gritted teeth.
    “I’m sorry about the way your father is treating this situation with Kirsten.” Charlene admitted.
    But Charlie waved it off. “I actually came here to tell you something. I received a phone call today from my dear sister the explorer and she said she was coming back to Stone Creek.”
    “What?” Charlene replied, the last time she talked to her daughter Gillian, the girl reassured Charlene that she would never step foot in Stone Creek again. “When did she say she was coming back?”
    “Just in time for the Founder’s Ball.” Charlie replied. “You know Gillian and making grand entrances.”
[.....]


Scene Two: Clifton & Audrey's House
    Audrey Briggs opened the door to see Cassie Lakhani standing in the doorway. The girl looked like a lost puppy and kindly Audrey invited the girl in thinking she must be one of her husbands clients.
    “Can I get you anything? Clifton is upstairs getting ready, is there anything I can do for you?” 
    Cassie could tell she probably shouldn’t be in the room alone with Audrey. There was so much animosity between the two and it pained Cassie to know that Audrey didn’t even know the truth.
    “I’m fine.” Cassie spoke, taking a seat on the couch.
    Audrey nodded her head in agreement and sat across from Cassie. “So what is your business with my husband?” 
    “Excuse me?” Cassie replied, caught off guard.
    “Well, I mean, most people don’t just show up here uninvited.” Audrey explained. “Are you one of the girls who works at the club? I think a friend of yours--Natasha something--came by yesterday about her check, Clifton is lousy with money.”
    Cassie didn’t know how to reply but knew she had to say something. “Yeah, I am here for my check. They said something about it being misplaced at the club. I need it for my baby--”
    “Cassie?” Clifton announced, confused. He continued down the stairs from the hallway and kept his eyes glued on the woman. “I didn’t expect you to show up here. Did I hear you say something about a child?”
    All eyes fell on Cassie. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have come.”
    “She didn’t receive her check Clifton.” Audrey spoke. “How many girls are going to strip without being paid? I wouldn’t be surprised if they all quit with the way you run your business.”
    Clifton stopped in his tracks, taking the conversation in. “Yes. I am deeply sorry about that Cassie. How about we talk about your check over lunch? Maybe we can get you more hours since you have a child to take care of.”
    Cassie could feel the words sting in the way he pronounced them. Like he was scolding her for being so careless. All Cassie could do was nod her head in agreement and avoid all eye contact with Clifton’s wife, Audrey.
[.....]


Scene Three: Delaware Towers- Kevin Saunder's Office
  “What the hell are you doing here?” Kevin Saunders asked as he entered his office. After his meeting with Deborah Nelson he realized he was missing his cell phone. But it seemed like his day was going to the gutter as Frank Nelson slumped in his chair with his feet on his desk. “Take that smug look off your face Nelson and leave my office.”
    But Frank wouldn’t budge, instead he pulled his fingers together and shook his head. “I think we need to talk Kevin.”
    Curious, Kevin closed the door and wandered over. “What do the two of us have to talk about? Last I remember you wanted nothing to do with me, wanted me to stay clear from you and your sweet little secretary.”
    Frank tensed up at the mention.
    “How is Lucy doing by the way?”






---
Our love. Our fights. Our friendships.
On Concrete Shelves.
Forever, they shall be remembered.
---
Scene Four: Thurlow Lumber Mill Building
    Although Lucy Hahn has been nothing but irritating to Emily Roscoe she has found the younger woman to be quiet useful, especially while at work and getting to know her co-workers.
    Emily watched as Bentley Wilkinson was making photocopies in the lounge, she hadn’t known him long but he intrigued her in the way that she wanted to know how someone so stupid could be so smart.
    “What are you doing?” Lucy asked falling down next to Emily.
    “I’m eating, what else would I be doing Lucy?” Emily replied.
    Lucy chuckled as she glanced at Bentley. “He is single you know.”
    It hadn’t crossed her mind that Bentley wasn’t single, slowly she chewed on her lunched vegetables and looked at Lucy. “I really don’t want to have this conversation with someone like you.”
    “Are you trying to say I’m stupid?”
    “I’m saying it is none of your business.” Emily retorted. “Besides, why would I care if Bentley Wilkinson was single or not.”
    Lucy took a deep breath and took Emily’s lunch out of her hands. “Because you have been staring at his ass since I introduced the two of you.”
    Emily turned a bright shade of red. “I’d rather just keep this between you and me.”
    Lucy nodded. “That’s fine by me. Besides every girl is entitled to her own secrets.” Her lips creased at the ends as she couldn’t get the thought of Frank Nelson out of her dreamy mind.


[.....]
Scene Five: Shenanigan's Nightclub
    Clifton Briggs took off his sunglasses as the duo entered Shenanigan's Nightclub. It was his one true gem in the mess of stones that he invested in. He signaled for one of the men to grab Cassie a water and they sat down at an abandoned table.
    “Why is everyone here so early?” Cassie asked, feeling the eyes of Clifton’s employees on her. “Don’t you open at eight pm?”
    “I like to keep this place in tip-top shape, you know?” Clifton explained. “Besides it helps my employees get more hours, more hours means more money for them and that leads to happier employees.”
    Receiving her water, Cassie took a drink hesitantly.
    “Don’t worry, it isn’t drugged.” Clifton replied, noticing how vulnerable the woman was feeling. “I honestly don’t remember what happened that night that we slept together.”
    “That makes two of us.” Cassie couldn’t help but flashback to the night that she slept with Clifton and the random flashes of memory were enough to sicken her. “Does your wife know?”
    Clifton shook his head no. “Audrey would be devastated. Besides it was a huge accident, you said it yourself when you accused me of raping you.”
    “I’m sorry about that.” She truly was, the only reason Cassie lashed out at Clifton was because she felt so hurt and invaded by him. “I know now that you didn’t rape me.”
    Clifton reached for Cassie’s hand but she pulled back. “What happened was a huge mistake. I’m just glad that everything is alright now. Me telling Audrey would only hurt the situation.”
    “What do we do now?”
    “What do you mean?”
    “Well, if we were both drugged--which I am assuming happened. Don’t you want to know why?” Cassie could tell the questions unnerved Clifton, but they were constantly in her mind and she wanted to voice them to somebody.
    He sighed, truly Clifton was conflicted in what happened that night. “I think you should leave that up to me. I’m the one with all the enemies, I’m sure it was some kind of half-baked plan to get back at me.”
    “What do you think they wanted?” Cassie asked.
    Clifton shrugged. “Just leave it to me, okay honey? I don’t want to put you in harms way, besides I don’t think you have to worry about anything anymore.”
    Cassie caught a tear in her eye as she looked at Clifton. “But you don’t understand, this has everything to do with me now. Clifton that night--that night we slept together, well, I got pregnant that night!”
    Clifton looked around the room in fear that one of his employees would have heard the confession. This was not supposed to be happening.


[.....]
Scene Six: Delaware Towers- Kevin Saunder's Office
    Kevin Saunders pushed Frank Nelson’s legs off his desk. “You Nelson’s always get yourself deep in trouble, don’t you? When will one of you learn to say no when a tempting beauty like Lucy Hahn comes trotting along?”
    “How about you stop talking about my family!”
    Kevin chuckled. “Not so smug now, huh?”
    “I have no idea what you are talking about, so please save the tough guy act for somebody else.” Frank spat, pulling himself up to Kevin’s level. “I’m here to keep you away from my sister.”
    “Nothing is going on between Charlene and I.” Kevin protested.
    Frank hadn’t a clue if his hunch was right, especially since Charlene was keeping secret about her mystery affair, but when she let it slip that he was getting  a divorce for her, Frank only thought of one person. “It’s okay Kevin, you don’t need to lie anymore because Charlene already told me everything.”
    “You stay quiet about this Nelson!” Kevin threatened, causing Frank to step back a few steps.
    “So it is true.” Frank gleamed, he then jabbed a finger into Kevin’s chest. “Break things off with my sister or else you will be hearing from Patrick. I give you my word I will destroy you.”
    “Get out of my office!” Kevin seethed.


[.....]
Scene Seven: Thurlow Lumber Mill Building
    Emily Roscoe slammed a fist against the copy machine in anger. The whole time she was trying to be perfect little secretary to James Thurlow, she had done nothing but screw up.
    If only she could just get her life together, but being in the hospital for weeks had caused Emily to lose herself. Emily placed a hand to her forehead and kicked the machine in defeat.
    “Beating on Caramel are we?” Bentley Wilkinson spoke from behind her.
    Emily spun around and found herself turning red. “It was doing fine for a couple minutes but I think it just jammed. Maybe I just shouldn’t be here, I have been messing up all day. I think it is a sign.”
    Bentley shook his head. “That is just the way Caramel is.”
    “Caramel?”
    “Yeah, she’s stubborn. Lucy should have told you that when you use this machine printing ten pages at a time is the only way to keep her from jamming up.” Bentley spoke, while he examined the machine.
    Emily slumped against the counter with a solemn look on her face. “I think I killed her.”
    The man chuckled. “Please, she has been here longer than I have. Nobody can kill Caramel. Not even a pretty girl such as yourself.”
    The two fell into silence as Bentley started taking the machine apart. “How does it feel waking up only to find out that you’ve lost a couple days of your life?”
    She knew the question would be asked, everyone had shown it in their eyes while being introduced to her. Honestly Emily didn’t know how to answer it, especially this soon since she couldn’t even put it into words herself. 
    “I’m sorry-”
    “No, no.” Emily replied. “It’s fine, I honestly don’t know what to say. My life was going through this big transition even before the accident. I guess it’s like waking up and being able to start your whole life over.”
    “You know how many people would love to be in your shoes?”
    “I really don’t think thats true.” Emily spoke with a sadness in her tone. “But I’m here now and I’m starting a new and as of now I’ve become indebted to a very wealthy man, gathered sympathy from a doctor going through his own problems and killed Caramel.”
    Bentley chuckled, placing Caramel back together. “No, I think she will live.” Bentley hit the machine and it started up once again. “I told you she’d never die.”
    “Thank you for helping me out.” Emily spoke, her eyes glued on Bentley’s.
    “No problem.” He replied, slipping past Emily. Then Bentley turned back around with a question. “Would you like to hang out sometime?”
    Caught off-guard Emily stuttered a yes, finding herself staring at him. “I better get back to my desk. But hanging out would be nice, I’d appreciate that. Thanks.”


[.....]
Scene Eight: Thurlow Lumber Mill Building-Frank's Office
    Lucy Hahn stepped into Frank’s office and found herself thinking about her boss once again. She knew it was wrong, there wasn’t a bone in her body that would convince her otherwise. But she couldn’t help it.
    “Lucy.” Frank spoke, she turned to face him. “We need to talk.”
    “What about Mr. Nelson?” Lucy asked, straightening up.
    As much as Frank didn’t want to say this, he was in love with the way that Lucy made him feel. But leaving Kevin Saunders’ office he knew it was the right thing to do. If Deborah found out about the affair she would destroy him.
    “We can’t do this anymore.”
    His words crushed her, but she knew he was going to be saying them soon. “What does that mean?
    “I talked to the boys in Sunset Valley, they have a position for you. It is actually a higher paying job and I think it would help you develop your business skills.” Frank told her.
    “You want me to leave town?” Lucy gasped, a tear in her eye.
    “It is for the best for everybody involved.”
    “What if I don’t want to leave?” Lucy protested. “What if I want to stay here? I’ve made friends in Stone Creek. I can’t just leave.”
    Lucy watched cautiously as Frank approached her. There was a sadness in his eyes that she couldn’t describe and it scared her. She closed her eyes as he touched her cheek, deep down she knew it broke his heart to touch her right now.
    “You don’t have to.” Lucy breathed as she gave in to his touch.
    Frank leaned in and kissed her on the lips. “But I want to.” He spoke, his words finding a place inside Lucy’s body, nesting in her veins as they said their goodbyes. Lucy knew she should leave town for Frank, she knew it deep in her body.


[.....]









Next Time on On Concrete Shelves...
+ Kirsten goes to Caitlyn for advice.
+ Cassie and Marina finally speak the truth.
+ Deborah Nelson finds that she has lost herself.
+ The connection between Natalie and Ian is revealed...

Previous Episode | Home | ForumNext Episode ]