Thursday, July 29, 2010

This is the Sound of Settling

Previously on On Concrete Shelves
+ Emmet Thurlow traveled to Stone Creek to ask for his grandmother’s engagement ring.
+ Helen Schmidt ordered Mac to Arizona to find Adrian.
+ Caitlyn found mysterious packages being delivered to her.
+ Kirsten’s frustration elevated...
[.....]

Photobucket

[.....]

Scene One: Sunset Valley-TLM Building
    Lucy Hahn placed her morning coffee on the desk as she concentrated on a contract that she had drafted up for her. She had spent the last couple days throwing herself into her work that it seemed natural now.
    Most nights she didn’t think of Frank Nelson at all. The rest of the nights she spent intoxicated and in a random stranger’s bed.
    The chime of the elevator doors wrung through her office as it had been placed closest to the elevators. A minor adjustment she had to get used too being the new girl around town.
    She watched as Iris Galloway walked past her office and knew she needed to talk to the woman. Lucy was the holder of an observation she was evident was true. “Iris!” She called out, exiting her office.
    The other woman turned on her heel. “Lucy? How are you today?”
    “Good.” Lucy replied, leaning against the doorway of her office. She then made a gesture with her head for privacy. “You’ve got a moment to talk? I think I’ve got some information you’d like to hear.”
    Thinking it over, Iris replied. “I was going to drop by Emmet’s office and surprise him. But I suppose I have a couple of minutes. What’s going on? Any new gossip around the office I should be aware of?”
    In the last couple of days, Iris and Lucy have become some what friends, although neither would admit to hanging out with the other outside of the office. Whenever Iris came by to visit Emmet, the duo got around to exchanging gossip.
    Stepping into Lucy’s office, Iris placed the bag of treats on the desk and turned to Lucy, who closed the door behind her. “So tell me, what’s going on?”
    “Well,” Lucy started, a twinkle in her eye. “From what I hear, I think a certain someone is about ready to pop the question!” 
    Lucy squealed with excitement but then there was a silence between the two that neither could describe. “Why aren’t you squealing? You should be squealing.”
    “I just don’t--really? do you really think Emmet is going to ask me to marry him?” Lucy could tell that Iris was perplexed about the situation. Quietly she questioned whether she should have told Iris or not.
    “Well, come on Iris, the two of you have been dating for how long?” Lucy acknowledged. “A couple weeks ago he took a trip to Stone Creek and while I was still there he was looking for his father.”
    “It could have been just business.” Iris pointed out, a nervous tint to her color. “Besides it is true, we have been together for quiet some time. I think i would know if Emmet was up to something.”
    Lucy tilted her head in confusion. “You must be excited on some level, right?”
    Iris shrugged. “I’m going to go find Emmet.”
[.....]

Scene Two: 341 Wallow St., Stone Creek “Schmidt Home”
    She felt as if the honeymoon was over. As she slipped into a morning routine that she had sorely missed, Helen Schmidt, picked up her phone and dialed her assistant Mackenzie Kern.
    “I was hoping you’d pick up.” Helen spoke as she maneuvered around the house, through the hallway, grabbed her purse and then flew out the garage door to her car. She didn’t want to be secretive around David, especially after she said she’d behave, but she couldn’t miss this opportunity.
    “I arrived in Arizona this morning, do I really need to be up right now?” Mac asked groggily. “I just entered my hotel and the bed is calling my name. Thanks for getting me a queen sized bed by the way.”
    “I didn’t!” Helen scolded.
    But Mac just laughed on the other end. “I tracked down Adrian Stone to a small car garage called ‘Joe’s Fix It’ so I was thinking of starting off there. Maybe convince him to come back to town?”
    Helen, now sitting in her car replied, “Yes! The plan is still a go. I need Adrian Stone to come back to Stone Creek so that he can confront Gail. If anybody knows how to ruin Gail Schmidt’s life it is that man.”
    “I think you give him too much credit.”
    “That’s the thing Mac,” Helen sighed, “I don’t pay you to think.”
    She could almost hear Mac shrugging. “Fair enough. I will call you later and give you a heads-up, alright?”
    “Good.” Helen replied, turning the car on and ending her call with Mac. If there was anything Helen Schmidt was good at it was getting to the bottom of things. She had to know why Gail returned to town, she needed to know if her suspicions were correct.
[.....]

Scene Three: 505 Auburn Rd., Stone Creek “Thurlow Cottage”
    “You have to tell James.” 
    Caitlyn Thurlow could hear Diem Joplin speak from behind her as she held the picture in her hands. There had been so much going on lately that she had forgotten why she hated the beginning of the month. 
    The baby was smiling in this picture. It caused Caitlyn to flashback to a time when everything was so easy. The faint giggling of children laughing and the sound of wood chips crushing as little shoes run along them.
    He was there too.
    Damien Crenshaw was standing behind Caitlyn, holding her as she watched their baby coo in the stroller. This picture was taken the day their house was being finished. It was the perfect house, Damien had designed it just for Caitlyn.
    They were at the park because they had arrived in town a day early and decided to stay in a hotel for the night. The small, but quaint park was a cross the street. She had begged Damien to let them go and be around the other families on such a pretty day.
    Caitlyn closed her eyes as she could hear him whisper in her ear about how perfect his family was.
    “Caitlyn,” Came the voice of Damien Crenshaw.
    She turned around to see Diem looking at her. Caitlyn looked back down at the picture and worry evaded her senses. “This is all apart of my old life. I was hoping that I wouldn’t have to share it with James at all. I just want to forget about all of it, you know?”
    Diem nodded. “Well, someone doesn’t want you to forget about it.” She moved closer to Caitlyn and looked at the picture of the baby. “Is there more to the story that you haven’t told me Caitlyn? Like why Damien would be so urgent on haunting you like this?”
    There was more. But Caitlyn felt too ashamed to speak about it. “Have you found Damien yet?”
    Diem shook her head no. “The last trace of Damien Crenshaw disappeared a couple years ago in Subtle Valley, Illinois. I’ve found traces of him through out the united states, but not enough to get a full lead.”
    Caitlyn seemed distraught with the news. “I wish he would just go away.”
    “Who would go away?” The voice was enough to cause Caitlyn’s panic to ensue. She turned around to see James Thurlow standing in the doorway behind her. Only Diem Joplin between the two.
---
Our love. Our fights. Our friendships.
On Concrete Shelves.
Forever, they shall be remembered.
---

    Scene Four: Lakeside Inn
    Kirsten entered the lobby and took everything in. She couldn’t believe that all their hard work had finally paid off. The once poorly built Inn was now looking like an elegant luxury vacation.
    Had she not seen her husband, Charlie Sutton, entering the lobby as well, she would have paid more attention to the details of the room. The fight they had over Charlie’s father had taken the remaining energy out of Kirsten.
    The two stopped as they made contact.
    Charlie ushered one of the contractors into the next room with paperwork and walked to Kirsten, neither knew what they would say. “The place is wonderful.” Kirsten spoke first, looking around.
    Charlie put his hands in his pocket. “I know. I took your advice on the chandelier and I think the lobby turned out perfect. Just wait until you see the main hall! It looks terrific, I think when everyone comes for the Founder’s Ball they will be impressed.”
    Kirsten smiled. “This has been such a long, tiring process I just can’t believe the grand opening is already here. Do you think we made the right choice in having the Founder’s Ball here? Did we give ourselves enough time?”
    “It’s perfect.” Charlie replied. “Besides it gives the Inn a client base. The more people come and see the remodeling, the more people will book the main hall for their festivities.”
    “You’re right.” Kirsten replied, she looked at Charlie and he looked exhausted. For a moment she didn’t know if she should bring up the topic about his father just in case it caused him to lose the last of his energy.
    Instead she just smiled, wanting to collapse in his arms. “It will be an amazing night Kirsten. Everything will work out, just you wait and see.”
    “We need this Charlie.” She spoke in a demand. “If we don’t get this revenue then this whole renovation was for nothing. We need to turn a profit somewhere.”
[.....]

    Scene Five: Arizona “Joe’s Fix It”
       Mac didn’t know what he was supposed to say, but he knew he couldn’t go back to Stone Creek empty handed. Approaching the Garage that Adrian worked at, Mac Kern put the car in park and stared at the sign.
    It looked so quaint.
    It reminded him of Stone Creek when he first moved to town to be Helen Schmidt’s assistant. There was this energy to the place that he didn’t want to disturb. But he knew it was all fabricated and even the air he was breathing in was starting to taste stale.
    Entering the place, he walked up to the  counter looking for Adrian Stone, but he seemed to be missing. The whole place had an eerie silence to it that made Mac want to get back into his car and leave town.
    “Hello?” He asked, slipping into the back of the store. He spotted a door leading to the garage where Adrian more than likely spent most of his days. The small breeze surely did not follow Mac inside as he could feel a wave of heat over come him.
    “Is anybody here?” He asked again.
    A banging sound alerted Mac that he wasn’t alone, swiftly he followed it to reveal a set of legs underneath a car. “Excuse me?” He called, unsure weather to nudge him or not.
    When Mac finally decided to nudge him, a hand pulled him back. This caused a chill to run down his spine and he turned without hesitation. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you. Last year some idiot came in here looking for a mechanic and almost paralyzed one of my best men.”
    Mac nodded at the story, he was still recovering from the scare and slowly he turned back to the guy working on the car.
    “Can I help you?” The other man eyed Mac suspiciously.
    It took Mac awhile before he replied. “I’m looking for Adrian Stone.”
    The other guy chuckled and offered a handshake. “Well, then you found him. My name is Adrian Stone.”
    At first Mac didn’t recognize him, he looked so different from his photos. The man in the photos was barely a man, he was scrawny and angry. This man looked different. He looked like he filled in a bit over the years and seemed to be grounded.
    “Nice to meet you Mr. Stone.” Mac responded.
    “Call me Adrian.” Adrian replied with a smirk. “Now what can I do for you?”
    “My name is Mac Kern, I was asked to look you up, there’s a certain woman who is looking for you. Does the name Gail Schmidt ring a bell?” Mac asked, in hopes that he could get Adrian to speak first of the situation.
    Adrian stared hard at Mac, his grounded demeanor wearing off. “Well then, maybe you should stick to calling me Mr. Stone.”
[.....]

    Scene Six: Sunset Valley
    Sitting alone outside, Iris Galloway grew flustered. Since Lucy told her about what she thought about Emmet proposing, Iris hadn’t a word to say. Simply she just watched the shrubs as the wind blew upon them.
    There was something so majestic to it. As much as she wanted to continue to think about marriage to Emmet, the calmness of the outdoors began to sooth her. There was so much that Iris had wanted.
    Before she could continue though, a shadow blocked the sun from shining on her. “How long have you been out here?” Emmet Thurlow asked, hands in his pocket.
    Iris smiled, she really didn’t know.
    “Is everything alright?” Emmet asked as he sat beside his girlfriend. 
    She nodded her head and leaned against Emmet. His scent electrified Iris’ senses. He made her feel so great inside. “Summer vacation is almost over, I’ll be going back to the school full-time.”
    Emmet acknowledged the fact. “I’ve been doing some thinking.”
    The words caused an awakening in Iris, the fact that he could propose at any moment scared her to the core. “Me too.” She spoke so sharply that it surprised Emmet. “I mean, I’ve been thinking too.”
    “About?” Emmet asked.
    Iris knew she just jumped the gun. Silently kicking herself she stared out at the quaint gardens in front of her. “Remember when I first was offered the school counselor position? But I told you that I wasn’t going to take it because I didn’t think I deserved it? Plus it would take time away from us?”
    Emmet recalled the conversation. 
    “You told me-”
    “To follow what you think is best for you.” Emmet injected, pulling Iris into a hug. “I still believe that. I want you to follow your dreams while I do the same. I want us both to be happy.”
    Iris looked up at Emmet. Why was she having doubts about marrying him? “I think I’m going to take the position.”
    “Really?”
    “Yeah,” Iris spoke, the hesitation in her voice successfully covered up. “I’ve been thinking about it and it is a huge step to take. At least for now I think I will stick with it.”
    Emmet kissed Iris on the forehead. “Good.”
    “I’m going to be busier now however.” Iris assured him.
    “That’s fine.”
    Iris took a deep sigh. “Good thing we are already living together though. I honestly don’t think I can take another huge step right now. I mean I can only take one huge step at a time. I don’t think I can handle any more surprises.”
    Her words played over in her head, she hoped she got the point across to Emmet that she wasn’t ready to marry him.
[.....]
    Scene Seven: 341 Wallow St., Stone Creek “Schmidt Home”
    It had indeed been a long day for Gail Schmidt. Slipping into her father’s house all she could think about was a bubble bath. Ever since Annie started training Gail in her new position, she had come home exhausted at the end of the day.
    She wasn’t complaining, but a nice bath would do her some good.
    The lights in the living room flickered on, catching Gail’s eye. Sitting in her grandfather’s old recliner was Helen Schmidt. Before she could turn away however, Helen called her into the room.
    “Hey.” Gail greeted awkwardly.
    “I’ve been meaning to talk to you.” Helen spoke, tearing herself away from the magazine proofs. “Why don’t you have a seat?”
    In her head, Gail watched as the bubble bath became a distant option and once she found it necessary to oblique to Helen’s suggestion, Gail took a seat across from Helen. “What’s on your mind Helen?”
    “I care about your father very much.” Helen spoke, her mind trying to find the perfect way to maneuver through the conversation. “I would never hurt him.”
    Gail sighed, she knew where this was going. “I know. Look do we really have to talk about this now? I was hoping I could get a relaxing bath in before I have to sleep.”
    “Congratulations on the new job!”
    “Thanks.”
    Helen watched the younger woman for a moment. “Listen I want us to call a truce. I think a ten year feud has been way too long and exhausting to keep up, don’t you think?” A chuckled escaped Helen’s lips.
    Gail nodded.
    “I just think we have all been through a lot. I think right now it is best for your father if we can start to get along instead of arguing about everything.”
    “I don’t hate you.” Gail replied, she felt like she had to put it out there. Playing with her thumbs, she looked at Helen genuinely. “Really Helen, you can be a really nice person. I don’t hate you. I just think sometimes you get carried away.”
    “Everyone does.” Helen defended.
    Gail sighed. “Truce?”
    Helen smiled. “Truce.”
[.....]
    Scene Eight: Arizona “Adrian’s Apartment”
    As Mackenzie lingered between pictures, knick-knacks and items of sentimental value to Adrian Stone, he carried a conversation with the man that he found was very hard to carry.
    “Everything has changed.” Mac spoke, although he had no idea if it truly had. “Gail is working at Stone Creek Memorial Hospital now as a pharmacist technician and she is getting along great.”
    Adrian appeared in the doorway, wiping his hands on a towel. “She always had a way with people. Dinner is ready by the way.”
    “You really didn’t have too.” Mac said, his stomach--with a different opinion--growled. “Did you know that Gail is being offered a higher position at the hospital?”
    “That’s great.” Adrian replied.
    Mac found it harder to keep up with Adrian. Every time he tried to find a way into his thought process, a door was slammed in his face. “Why did she leave?” He spoke, Mac could feel the room grow silent.
    The option of stuffing his face with food becoming more appetizing.
    Adrian stood in the doorway, clearly trying to avoid the topic. He looked up at Mac who stood awkwardly in the room. “Things got complicated.”
    “You left Stone Creek with a motorcycle and a thousand dollars. Gail was ready to marry you and the only people who were in your way were left behind. How do things get complicated.”
    “I don’t know.” Adrian replied. “Everything was fine. We both had stable jobs and we were starting a new life for ourselves. But then we kept pushing off our wedding and we spent more time apart.”
    Mac could tell this is a story Adrian hasn’t told anyone before. “Before I knew it she was out the door and I was left with the engagement rings.”
    “She regrets it.” Mac lied.
    “If she did she would be here right now, not you.”
    Mac sighed. “I don’t think she knew how to face you. I still don’t know if she knows how to face you. I think when Gail got pregnant she was scared and she left.”
    “Pregnant?” Adrian asked in confusion. “What are you talking about?”
    “You didn’t know?” Mac’s face lost it’s color as he kept his eyes glued to Adrian Stone. “I’m sure there was a reason she didn’t tell you. I’m sure if you came back to Stone Creek she will tell you for herself.”
    “Go back?”
    Mac nodded his head, but Adrian seemed unsure of the option.
[.....]
    Scene Nine: Joplin & Maverick Lawfirm
    Slipping into the parking garage always gave Diem Joplin shivers down her back. It all started when Emmet Thurlow convinced his godmother to tag along with him to see that P2 movie.
    Diem checked herself to make sure it had signal and grasped a hold of her keys, her heels--she thought--would have to be second guessed next time. She could hear the clicking of her heels being joined by someone else’s and this caused a stir in her stomach.
    She turned to find nobody behind her. Then turned back towards her car, she could see it in the distance. With a gargling chuckle she wrapped her overcoat tighter around her body and continued to her car.
    There was so much going on. 
    This was the last time she would meet her father for lunch, especially if she wanted to find Damien Crenshaw before friend Caitlyn Thurlow had a heart attack. Earlier she knew she dodged a bullet when she excused herself from the argument with James.
    From personal experience she knew secrets always hit James hard.
    The sound of shuffling feet caused Diem to turn back around. Why did she meet her father at his offices this late? And why the hell did they make a parking garage under ground? 
    She clutched her keys tighter in her pocket and started a light jog to her car. There was no other cars on this level. There had been. She wasn’t that stupid to park in a heavily deserted area.
    As she finally approached the car. Diem anxiously unlocked it and proceeded to climb in when she spotted something on the windshield. Slowly she reappeared out of the car and collected the item.
    A teddy bear’s face staring back at Diem. Somehow though it unnerved her and she tossed it in the back of her seat. Looking around for evidence of its sender, she ducked back into her car and turned the car on.
    She only wished it wasn’t past ten, for she wanted to see the daylight badder than ever about now.
    Scene Ten: 505 Auburn Rd., Stone Creek “Thurlow Cottage”
    It had been hours since their heated conversation. Caitlyn Thurlow felt that her lungs were way too sore to speak to anybody else and hid herself in her bedroom. There was a re-run of old top-ten country music video shows.
    The music made her feel like she was back in Chicago.
    A light knock on the door evaded her senses, slowly she perched herself against the headboard of the bed and acknowledged the sound. Her husband James Thurlow walked into their room, a grim look on his face.
    Caitlyn motioned for him to join her and James sat next to her. “I’m sorry.” He spoke, although she could tell he had been rehearsing those words all night, she could tell they were a dead-ringer for his feelings.
    “I’m sorry.” She spoke, a deep sigh followed. “I should have told you as soon as I got the first package. I was just hoping he would stop sending them after the first couple boxes.”
    James frowned. “What can we do about Damien?”
    “Diem is locating him right now.” Caitlyn spoke, she knew James was angry that Caitlyn told Diem Joplin before she told her husband. “As of now, Damien Crenshaw is untraceable. Let’s just hope he makes some kind of mistake.”
    The two looked at each other for awhile, neither knew what to say. Caitlyn closed her eyes and leaned against James. Had she known her lying would cause so much hurt, she would have told him long ago.
    But it only seemed like it was hurting only her.
    “I alerted the UPS to redirect the boxes to Diem’s office. Maybe she could do more with what is inside them than we can? She told me she would look into it.” James spoke. His words building a shelter for Caitlyn.
    Then something caught James’ thoughts. “What was her name?”
    A question that Caitlyn was hoping she wouldn’t have to answer because for so long she had punished herself for saying her name. Looking at James, a pain stuck in her stomach she spoke, “Danielle.”
    A tear in her eye as James held his wife. 
    “Her name was Danielle Crenshaw.”
    Scene Eleven: 341 Wallow St., Stone Creek “Schmidt Home”
    The night had snuck up on the Schmidt’s faster than any sleeping medicine could, which caused both to lay in bed. There was an understanding silence between the two, for most of the day Helen was out of David’s sight.
    For most of the day David was at the hospital filling out paperwork and seeing to his patients and surgeries. He also checked up on Emily Roscoe to see how she was getting along after her hospital stay.
    For Helen Schmidt she spend most of her day using her private money to buy Adrian Stone a hotel room in Stone Creek. She was constantly stealing a couple minutes away to check up on Mac and wether or not he convinced Adrian to come back to town.
    David embraced Helen from behind her and she could feel his breath on her neck. It was the warmth she had been itching for all day. She brought her hands to David’s arm and snuggled into his embrace.
    “I love you Helen.” David spoke from what she thought was a deep sleep. Helen waited awhile in case he had more to say, but he didn’t say a word after.
    Helen nudged his chest. “I love you too David.”
    The words were enough to keep Helen content. She had finally pulled everything off. David was back in her grasps and wasn’t going to pull away from her any time soon and her step-daughter Gail finally agreed to a truce.
    It was better than she had thought.
    “Helen.” David finally spoke.
    She grew stiff.
    “Just promise you will never hurt Gail in any way?” He asked, his grasp seemed to get tighter. “Because if you do hurt her, I could never forgive you. As much as I love you, I would have to cut every tie we’ve ever had. You’d lose everything.”
    A chill ran down her spine. Everything she had so carefully planned came crashing down and in that instant she wished she took twice as much sleeping medicine so that she could rest for the train wreck of a week she will be having.
[.....]
Next Time on, On Concrete Shelves
The Founder’s Ball Begins.
+ Helen tries to sabotage her own revenge plot.
+ A grand entrance leaves most of Stone Creek’s resident’s stunned.
+ Emmet asks his mother for the engagement ring...