Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Shame In You

Photobucket

[.....]

Scene One: 341 Wallow St. Schmidt House
    Gail Schmidt walked through the halls of her childhood home. It had been so long since she had been home. Even though she had been back for a week now and already had a job at the hospital, it still felt so unreal to be home.
    She entered the living room and froze.
    This past week Gail had made it her mission to avoid her step-mother Helen. But today didn’t felt like one of those days where she couldn't avoid her, so she froze in place. Thinking of a way to avoid the situation, thinking of a way to get out of the room.
    “We need to talk.” Helen Schmidt proposed, sliding out from under her current book. “Don’t you dare walk away from me either Gail. There are some things we need discuss and now is the perfect time before your father gets home.”
    “I really don’t want to talk to you.” Gail admitted, arms folded and leaning against the door frame. She had been trying to find a way out of the room. But there was no preparation for actually dealing with Helen. “I know you’re still mad at me for stealing my father’s money.”
    “You broke his heart!”
    A chill ran down Gail’s back. “You do not get to talk about my relationship with my father! Helen, I really don’t think you’d like to hear what I’ve got to say about you. The whole reason I left town was because of you and your pushy ideas!”
    “Don’t you dare blame this on me!” Helen seethed, she rose from her chair and challenged the younger woman. “All you had to do was break up with Adrian Stone and everything would have worked out fine.”
    “I loved him Helen!” Gail argued. “How did you expect me to break up with him and just forget about everything? I left because you didn’t understand that! You just kept telling my father what a bad influence Adrian was on me! How he was ruining my life!”
    “He did ruin your life!” 
    “No he didn’t, Helen, you did!” 
    Regaining her composure, Helen stepped closer to Gail. “I didn’t ruin anything Gail, you being here shows that. You said you loved Adrian. He isn’t even here with you Gail, so I am guessing that things went wrong?”
    “Things didn’t go wrong.” Gail defended, the last conversation she had with Adrian felt like it was so long ago but Helen yelling at her brought up all the emotions it entailed. “Things got complicated.”
    “What the hell is your plan Gail?” Helen asked. “You left town for ten years, why are you back now?”

[.....]
Scene Two: Stone Creek Memorial Hospital
    Dr. David Schmidt slipped into Emily Roscoe’s hospital room. “It’s nice to see you walking around on your own.” He acknowledged as she made her way back to her bed. “How are you feeling today?”
    Leaning against the pillows she sighed. “I’d rather be out of here.”
    David smiled. “To tell the truth, I would rather you be out of here too. I’ve got injured patients that need your room and you’ve been doing nothing but causing mischief.” 
    The duo laughed. “But seriously, I’m glad you are doing better.”
    “I have you to thank.” Emily said, she padded the bed next to her. “I’ve been doing some thinking about after here.”
    “Oh yeah?” David asked, sitting on the bed. “What is that?”
    “You were telling me about this amazing town called Stone Creek and since I’m here I think I shall explore it some. That coffee place you were talking about--Alice’s Haven? Sounds like a great place to go when I get out.”
    David turned towards Emily. “You really should check it out.”
    “Do you think it will be hard to fit in here?” Emily asked, her voice giving away her fears. She played with her thumbs. “I don’t necessarily have much family, so I’m kind of a loner.”
    “You will get along fine.” David assured her. “I have a daughter your age. Maybe I can arrange for the two of you to hang out?”
    Emily chuckled. “Don’t you think I’m a little old for a play date Dr. Schmidt?”
    David nodded his head at his mistake. “We all need friends.”
    A knock at the door interrupted the duo, James Thurlow appeared in the doorway and David grew tense. “Anything I can help you with James?”
    “Just wanted to see my new secretary.” His eyes were glued to Emily. “I wanted to make sure that she was doing fine here. Anything I can help you with Miss Roscoe? I’m sure David has been treating you well, but if you need anything then I can help you get that.”
    Emily shook her head. “I think I’m fine for now. I do want to thank you though for keeping my job for me it was very kind of you.”
    James smirked. “Not a problem.”

[.....]
Scene Three: Stone Creek Gym 
    “Natalie, what are you doing here?” Ian Kiefer asked, kissing her cheek when they met. 
    Natalie beamed at the man before her. “I actually was wondering if I could cash in a favor? There’s this guy that I know and he really needs a job right now.”
    Ian frowned. “I don’t think there are any openings right now.”
    “I know and I understand if there isn’t any way you can go around the systems. But he is a really good guy going through a dry spell right now. Besides, I think we both know that you kind of owe me one.”
    Although he felt like Natalie was forcing him rather than asking, Ian let the tension between the two fall away. With a stifling smirk, he went back to his computer and looked around. “The best I can do is Housekeeping Attendant.”
    “That’s all?” Natalie scrunched up her face. “Well, then he will take it.”
    Ian smirked. “Why are you doing the bidding for this guy Nat? You’re not that kind of girl, most guys let you walk all over them. Not the other way around.”
    “Oh please, he’s just a friend. And I already told you, he’s a really good guy who has just ran into bad luck in the job department.” Natalie wrote down Ryan’s information. “He just needs a little help.”
    “Well, he is a really lucky guy.”
    Natalie blushed. “Thanks Ian, I’ll make sure he knows that.”







---
Our love. Our fights. Our friendships.
On Concrete Shelves.
Forever, they shall be remembered.
---

Scene Four: Diem Joplin's Private Investigations
    Diem Joplin sifted through her paperwork, she was supposed to meet with Caitlyn hours ago but she hadn’t showed up at the restaurant. Diem knew that there was something that she was missing, she just couldn’t figure it out.
    “Diem.” 
    The private detective looked up to see Emmet Thurlow standing in front of her. She was truly happy to see a familiar face, possibly someone who could give her answers to Caitlyn’s disappearance.
    “Were you waiting for somebody?” Emmet asked as he approached the older woman. 
    “I was actually waiting for your step-mother, but I must have gotten the times wrong.” Diem looked at her watch, she hoped she had the times wrong. “Have you talked to her lately?”
    Emmet shook his head. “No, actually.”
    Diem sighed. “Well then, I guess she should be arriving soon.” Then a new thought struck Diem, “Aren’t you supposed to be in Sunset Valley? What are you doing in town?” She pulled him into a hug.
    “I was actually in town looking for my father, there was something I was needing to talk to him about.” Emmet responded, slightly nervous.
    “Anything I can help you with? I know I haven’t been in touch much but I mean what I said about helping your father with you guys. I know it was a long time ago, but I’m still here for you.”
    “Thanks Diem, that means a lot. But this is something I have to do on my own.”
    Diem gasped as she saw the twinkle in Emmet’s eye. “Who is she?”
    Emmet chuckled, he flushed a light color of pink. “Her name is Iris--Please don’t tell anybody yet. I just want to be sure about this.”
    Diem beamed with excitement. “I wont tell a soul!” She playfully slap his arm. “She is a lucky woman, you know? You’ve grown up so well!”
    “Thanks.” Emmet smirk, looking around. “Do you know where my dad is? I went by the Lumber Mill but Frank said he was gone for the day.”
    “Have you checked the office?” Diem suggested.
    “He’s not there either.” Emmet replied.
    “Emmet?” Caitlyn spoke, the man turned around to see his step-mother behind him. “Oh my god, when did you get into town? Come here!” Caitlyn kissed his cheek and turned to Diem. “I’m sorry I’m late, I just lost track of time.”
    She then turned to Emmet. “Does your father know you’re in town?”
    “I was actually looking for him.”
    “Check Alice’s Haven, I have a feeling he is going to be looking for Kirsten today. We sort of had an argument the other day about going to dinner with the newly weds.” Caitlyn looked grim.
    “Why would you argue about that?” Emmet asked.
    “Kirsten wants Patrick to be involved in the dinner.”
    Diem started to chuckle. “Are you serious? I want an invitation to that dinner if it ever actually happens. Listen, I don’t want to be a burden but I do have some information that you might want to know.”
    “Yeah, that’s fine.” Emmet broke in. “I’m going to find my father. It was nice seeing you Diem and I will probably see you later Caitlyn. Thanks for the help.”
    “Not a problem.” Diem replied, “Caitlyn, shall we go inside?”
    Caitlyn hugged Emmet goodbye and then looked at Diem. She followed, her nerves only getting the best of her.

[.....]
Scene Five: 341 Wallow St. Schmidt House
     Dr. David Schmidt rushed into the house as he heard the screaming, carelessly he dropped his coat on the rack and raced into the living room only to be pushed out of the way by his daughter Gail. “What’s going on in here?”
    “David, you’re home!” Helen spoke, she tried regaining her composure as she heard the front door slam shut. “I wasn’t expecting you home this soon.”
    “My patient, Emily Roscoe is doing better, I asked to come home an hour early--what’s wrong with Gail? What did you say to her Helen?” David accused, his arms folded. 
    His wife on the other hand was lost, there wasn’t much she could say, Helen knew she had been caught. “I was just talking to Gail about a few things around the house. She’s got that Schmidt temper on her you know.”
    David didn’t buy it. “Gail seemed really upset when she left. I really do not want a repeat of what happened last time Helen, we just got her back! I don’t know what you guys were talking about but I don’t want you discussing it with her again!”
    “David, don’t be so harsh.”
    “Harsh?” David yelled. “My daughter is the only blood relative I have left in this town. When she left ten years ago I thought I lost everything! Do you not understand why I need you to be cautious around her?”
    “I understand!” Helen growled, she moved away from David. “I have to go. I’ll be home later.”
    David pulled his wife’s arm as she rushed passed him. “Where are you going?”
    “I just have to go.” Her eyes made contact with his. Helen could feel everything rushing back. Ten years ago Gail almost ruined her marriage to David and now she felt like history was repeating itself. “There is paperwork I need to fill out at the office, I forgot about it.”
    Helen pulled away from David and rubbed her sore wrist. “Don’t wait up for me, I’ll be gone all night.”

[.....]
Scene Six: Stone Creek Apartments 
    The look on Natalie’s face when Bentley Wilkinson opened the door was only confirmation from what he already knew and although he wouldn’t mind helping his best friend score but Bentley knew Marina didn’t deserve it. 
    “Give it a rest.” He spoke calmly, keeping her out of the apartment.
    Natalie sneered as she pushed past Bentley and smiled when she caught a glimpse of Ryan in his gym shorts. “I think you better thank me!” She squealed as she held up a card with his name on it.
    “I don’t understand.” Ryan responded, he took the card from Natalie and looked it over. “What does this mean?”
    “You my friend just got hired on at the gym.” She watched as his eyes shot open and Ryan took Natalie into his arms. “I’m amazing, right?”
    “Are you serious Natalie? How did you do this? They said they didn’t have any job openings at all!” Ryan pulled away and looked at Bentley. “Dude, isn’t this awesome? I officially work at the gym.”
    Bentley rolled his eyes.
    “Not officially.” Natalie bemused. “You still have to go in and talk to the manager and get a photo ID but I mean after that you are pretty much set!”
    “Thank you Natalie, I don’t know how to repay you for that!” Ryan scoffed, he looked at his access card ecstatically. “Wow! That’s one less thing I have to worry about. I will pay you back for this.”
    Natalie smirked and then turned to Bentley. “Oh, there is plenty of time for that.”

[....]
Scene Seven: Sage Gardens-Alice's Haven
    “Dad?”
    James turned around to see his son Emmet standing behind him. “What are you doing here?” He asked, shocked. “Oh, it really doesn’t matter, come give me a hug!”
    As the two men pull away Emmet speaks. “I just got into town this morning, I ran into Caitlyn a little while ago and said you would be here. Is everything alright between you two?”
    James recalled the argument they had, and nodded. “Everything is fine. Just a minor disagreement about your sister Kirsten. What is important now is that you are here and I suppose there is a reason?”
    “I actually wanted to ask you something. It is really personal and if you don’t agree with it, then it is totally fine.” Emmet responded, collecting his thoughts. “Do you remember Iris Galloway?”
    “Yes. The young woman you were seeing when I went up to visit.” James recalled. “Are you still seeing her? I hope everything is alright she was a very sweet young lady.”
    “Iris is amazing and we’ve been together for a year now.” Emmet explained. The waitress approached the duo and Emmet ordered a drink in hopes that it would calm his nerves. “Dad, I think I’m ready to take the next step?”
    “Like marriage?” James questioned.
    Emmet nodded.
    For a moment, James felt taken back. It seemed to him like it was only yesterday that his children where living in the cottage and learning how to read, walk and talk. Now one was married and a second thinking about it. 
    “Well son, I mean if you are sure that you are ready to marry Iris, then by all means, go for it. I am very glad that you chose to talk to me about it, but is there another reason why you drove here?”
    “I was wondering if I could give Iris grandmother’s engagement ring.” This was the point in which Emmet had wished his drink would have arrived already, his hands nervously patting the corner of the table. “I know you have it since you gave it to mom all those years ago.”
    James took a deep breath. “Emmet, I don’t have the ring.”

[.....]
Scene Eight: HEAT Headquarters
    Helen Schmidt pulled her cellphone out and dialed the only number she could think of. It hurt that David walked in on her arguing with his only daughter, but she couldn’t hold her temper.
    “Mac? Listen, it’s Helen.” She spoke, her words etched with mystery. “I need you to do me a favor and this time it is a really big one.”
    She could see her plan right in front of her. This was the only thing that she could think of to get David to see that his daughter is the same spoiled little girl that took off years ago. Helen didn’t want David hurt by Gail again, not while she has a chance to stop her.
    Helen smiled as Mac repeated her instructions. “Good. I’ll talk to you later Mac and please find me everything I need for this. I’m counting on you.”







[.....]

Next Time on On Concrete Shelves...
+ Ryan questions Ian and Natalie's bond.
+ Emmet makes Kirsten second guess the family lunch.
+ Marina stumbles between a rock and a hard place.
+ Charlene reveals her secret lover...

[ Previous EpisodeHome | ForumNext Episode ]